daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:45 PM   #2721
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't think there are many countries in Europe where gas costs less than € 1 per liter. Even in low-income countries fuel is usually more expensive than that. Even in Albania, a country with GDP per capita of $ 9,000 gasoline costs € 1.33 per liter, according to this site: http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/
Interesting link, Chris.
But for Germany, I must say, these prices are not representative.
Since the market transparency system has been on, the pricing game has changed. Instead of raising prices twice a week and letting the trickle down over 2-3 days, prices are being raised late in the evening and then go down over the next day, until they reach a low in the early evening.

Super 95 for example is shown at € 1,576 pr liter on the website.
According to my ADAC fuel prices app, it is currently 1,469 where I live, and it is similar all over the country today. Aral and Shell have already raised their prices to 1,589 - 1,599 (It is now 9.45 PM CET) I bet, an hour ago, it was still at 1,479 - 1,489, and that's what it's going to be again tomorrow at 6 PM CET.

They are playing this game every single day
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2722
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
I don't think there are many countries in Europe where gas costs less than € 1 per liter. Even in low-income countries fuel is usually more expensive than that. Even in Albania, a country with GDP per capita of $ 9,000 gasoline costs € 1.33 per liter, according to this site: http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/
The high European gas prices are really unfortunate for people. Last summer I drove about 4 000 km in Europe with a rental car, with tiny engine (1.6 L, I am used to (European-made) V8...) I didn't think too much of the fuel prices, but when I got home I looked at bills and noticed I had spent more than $600 on gasoline alone (car was $450), over only 2 weeks mostly spent walking around city centres and drinking beer. It probably hurts pleasure travel to some extent.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2723
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

3,17$ per gallon of regular today

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:31 PM   #2724
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The high European gas prices are really unfortunate for people. Last summer I drove about 4 000 km in Europe with a rental car, with tiny engine (1.6 L, I am used to (European-made) V8...) I didn't think too much of the fuel prices, but when I got home I looked at bills and noticed I had spent more than $600 on gasoline alone (car was $450), over only 2 weeks mostly spent walking around city centres and drinking beer. It probably hurts pleasure travel to some extent.
Yeah, the times when people could drive just for fun are somewhat over, in Europe.

If you want to travel, calculate the costs for fuel, consider them in your budget, then you'll be ok.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:35 PM   #2725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Some of the higher cost of fuel is offset by better fuel mileage, especially if you drive a diesel car (which is far more common in Europe than in the U.S.). Even diesel family cars can get 45 miles per gallon these days.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:43 PM   #2726
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Some of the higher cost of fuel is offset by better fuel mileage, especially if you drive a diesel car (which is far more common in Europe than in the U.S.). Even diesel family cars can get 45 miles per gallon these days.
It is true, but that is counteracted by worse driving experience. I tried to pass a old diesel Fiat van on a Polish drog and I couldn't make it

It is kind of amusing when you look at European cars in Europe, the car is same but the engine is not. Example my Mercedes is "CLK 430" and I saw many similar older Daimler in Europe, but all marked "200", they forgot to install half of the engine

That said, despite having slow cars, they drive much faster than we do on this side, so my driving style was basically normal.

Last edited by Kanadzie; February 23rd, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:01 AM   #2727
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Yeah, the times when people could drive just for fun are somewhat over, in Europe.

If you want to travel, calculate the costs for fuel, consider them in your budget, then you'll be ok.
In Europe, not only you must consider fuel prices, but also tolls which can be really scary in some places ; parking costs can be prohibitive, too; don't forget expensive congestion charges that apply in a few cities (most of them badly indicated, to allow them to draw into your wallet). Not to mention fines, which prices scales vary enormously depending on the land you are on .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM   #2728
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

4,000 km is an awful lot for just 2 weeks so I think 600$ is a fair price. Higher fuel prices help to keep our roads in good condition, subsidises public transport and discourages overly long commutes.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #2729
John Maynard
BANNED

Today's fuel prices in Lausanne, Switzerland:
SP95: 1,79 CHF
SP98: 1,84 CHF
Diesel: 1,88 CHF
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:00 PM   #2730
John Maynard
BANNED

Have you ever noticed that in the US, normal "regular" octane is 92, while in Europe it's hard to find it; but we have higher octane "euro unleaded" starting at 95. Maybe some prices differences come from there, but I know, taxes as well .
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #2731
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The U.S. uses a different octane rating (AKI) as opposed to Europe (RON). But the octane ratings are indeed lower in the U.S, their premium (91) is European regular (95).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bd popeye, Airman Kris™ liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:55 PM   #2732
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
The U.S. uses a different octane rating (AKI) as opposed to Europe (RON). But the octane ratings are indeed lower in the U.S, their premium (91) is European regular (95).
Which is unfortunate as we Americans who drive European cars which require premium, as for myself a 2009 smart car, It may be a tad off for the engine in the long-run.

As for current gas prices where I am at the moment: Mississippi Gulf Coast- Average $3.17 for Unleaded octane. As low as $2.99 in the state Capital of Jackson.
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #2733
John Maynard
BANNED

On the other side you got a very fuel-efficient car .

What's interesting, many US police, sheriffs, and parking authorities have adopted the Smart :

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by John Maynard; February 25th, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #2734
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

I've never seen one law-enforcement Smart car over here. (And that Parking Enforcement vehicle is not in the U.S., as indicated by the Ontario plates. :-) )

Seriously, are Smart cars safe in high speed on highways, in certain weather conditions? I remember seeing a Smart car with Maryland plates here in Philadelphia on a windy day once and thinking, how the hell did she [the driver] get up here without being blown off a bridge?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

bd popeye liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #2735
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've never seen one law-enforcement Smart car over here. (And that Parking Enforcement vehicle is not in the U.S., as indicated by the Ontario plates. :-) )

Seriously, are Smart cars safe in high speed on highways, in certain weather conditions? I remember seeing a Smart car with Maryland plates here in Philadelphia on a windy day once and thinking, how the hell did she [the driver] get up here without being blown off a bridge?
Exactly.. those smart cars are example of what could be but never will. Parking enforcement and beach patrol? Ok..but pursuit and patrol? Don't think so. .I think John Maynard was making a joke.

This is how the police in the US roll....

Quote:
LAPD Ford Crown Victoria,...is being phased out

Quote:
LAPD Chevrolet Impala
And you see a lot of these across the country. but a Smart Car? Never..

Quote:
Iowa State Trooper..Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi
End off topic

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gas is slowly climbing in price in my area of Iowa. Mid grade which is the 10% ethanol blend is ranging from $3.21 a gallon to $3.34 a gallon.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2736
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

The Jersey City one with a large guy in a suit getting out of the Smart car and a bunch of other people standing around screams to me "photo op! Jersey City police just bought a Smart car - TV stations and newspapers come and take pictures!" and the cynic in me wonders if it's the only one the department owns.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #2737
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
I think you are wrong with the numbers here

USA regular is 87 -- in Europe 91
USA plus is 89 -- in Europe 93-94
USA premium or super is 93 -- in Europe 97-98

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #2738
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post

On the other side you got a very fuel-efficient car .

What's interesting, many US police, sheriffs, and parking authorities have adopted the Smart :

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
I didn't see a single interceptor car Smart. for parking tickets or low level police work it is ok. but for anything else - I have a hard time imagining this.

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #2739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In most of Europe it's almost exclusively 95 or 98 RON, while some oil companies offer some kind of "racing" fuel with 100 RON. Apparently the United Kingdom is an outlier, according to the Wikipedia article, 97 RON is common there, but I haven't seen it elsewhere in Europe. Below 95 RON is generally rare to find (I haven't seen it for years in the Netherlands).

I think the far majority of people tank 95 RON (or diesel). In some countries 98 RON is being phased out in favor of 95 RON with additives.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #2740
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

I can not imagine any department using the smart Fortwo for anything other than parking enforcement and park patrol.

As a driver of a smart fortwo I can tell you, it is VERY difficult to drive in windy conditions on the interstate, sometimes even in 45 MPH Avenue zones. I was once driving 75MPH on I-55 in a smart in the middle of Mississippi, with jacked-up trucks and 18 wheelers next to me and the vehicle literally was shaking toward each shoulder of the road. It can be a true task to keep it on the road. It handles like any other car on ice though. Even more reason to be an urban only car.

As for that Beverly Hills PD smart in the pictures from John Maynard, according to this link it is only used for the DARE program to and from schools. http://www.beverlyhills.org/cbhfiles...ar%20FINAL.pdf

Penn's Woods liked this post
Airman Kris™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
prices