daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #3241
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Multiple likes for that post if it were possible.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:16 AM   #3242
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It's amusing to think of the first wave of katalysator-cars in the US in 1975, meanwhile, even in, say, Berlin, it was still a sea of Trabants... for another 15 years! damn thing put out more smoke than Churchill

Now they do that stupid green-sticker to catch tourists there...
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #3243
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

And spend every weekend in the summer pumping diesel fumes into the air above the Rhône.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #3244
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Suburban Vancouver BC is at CDN$ 100.9. per litre.

With the current exchange rate that is about $5 US/gallon
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #3245
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Off to Mom's shortly, via South Jersey. Let's see if I can fill up and still get change from a 20.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #3246
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Americans were way more clever than Europeans in the common sense for fuel use and its adverse effects of pollution.

Here in Europe, most countries favoured for decades very nasty and dirty diesel vehicles, even for small town cars, by reducing taxes and even by subsidizing them, but introducing very high taxes for gasoline .
You Americans kept big vehicles, and diesel where it should belong: large vehicles and trucks; you introduced the lead free gasoline and were the first for compulsory catalytic converter already in the 1970's .
Meanwhile, in Europe we were not stopping criticizing you, mostly by jealousy, that you were the biggest polluter, as if Europeans were all "green" .
This is something that often comes up in conversation with my father, that in the UK petrol is cheaper than diesel but in most of Western Europe at least it's the other way around.

So am I right in presuming that diesel is 'naturally' more expensive but made cheaper than petrol because of taxes on petrol?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #3247
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Quote:
Americans were way more clever than Europeans in the common sense for fuel use and its adverse effects of pollution.

Here in Europe, most countries favoured for decades very nasty and dirty diesel vehicles, even for small town cars, by reducing taxes and even by subsidizing them, but introducing very high taxes for gasoline .
You Americans kept big vehicles, and diesel where it should belong: large vehicles and trucks; you introduced the lead free gasoline and were the first for compulsory catalytic converter already in the 1970's .
Meanwhile, in Europe we were not stopping criticizing you, mostly by jealousy, that you were the biggest polluter, as if Europeans were all "green" .
Again....When you say Europe you probably mean a few Western European countries.

In Estonia (and in many other Eastern European countries) diesel is more expensive than petrol, even though the taxes are a bit lower than on petrol. Diesel is especially expensive during winter when you have to put additives in diesel so it wouldn't turn solid and clog your fuel injectors when it's -25C.

Diesel powered cars were more fuel efficient for a long time but petrol engines have caught up big time. Nowadays there isn't much of a difference between the fuel consumption of a modern petrol powered car vs a diesel powered car, not to mention that diesel powered cars are more expensive.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #3248
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Prices are in the $1.80s along N.J. 168 between the Walt Whitman Bridge and I-295 (I went that way because I needed gas) and also along US 22 between Bound Brook and Scotch Plains, close to chez Mom.

I paid $1.839. So I did fill up for a $20 bill. No change, but I was in warning-light territory and the attendant ("full service" only in New Jersey) topped me off.

- That's a Yuengling.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #3249
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Again....When you say Europe you probably mean a few Western European countries.
Nope, I remember in Poland, 2-3 years ago, when diesel used to cost around 30% less than gasoline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Diesel powered cars were more fuel efficient for a long time but petrol engines have caught up big time. Nowadays there isn't much of a difference between the fuel consumption of a modern petrol powered car vs a diesel powered car, not to mention that diesel powered cars are more expensive.
More fuel efficient yes, but much more dirty and harmful to humans on the other side .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #3250
tooljan

Likes (Received): 902

OK, back to the fuel prices...

In Laktaši municipality (near Banja Luka, BiH), yesterday, price of BMB-95 and diesel D4 was 0.879€/l.

SRC_100, johnnyboy55 liked this post
tooljan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #3251
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Vilnius:
1,00 EUR - diesel
1,02 EUR - unleaded 95
0,59 EUR - LPG

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

SRC_100 liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #3252
Ulpiana

Likes (Received): 2589

In Macedonia, tonight:

Petrol 100 octane 62.50 denars (1.01 Euro)

Petrol 95 octane 60.50 denars (0.98 Euro)

Diesel & Biodiesel 51 denars ( 0.83 Euro)

LPG 28 denars (0.45 Euro)

WP_20150118_20_10_53_Pro by ana.ulpi, on Flickr

SRC_100, johnnyboy55 liked this post
Ulpiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #3253
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Nope, I remember in Poland, 2-3 years ago, when diesel used to cost around 30% less than gasoline!

More fuel efficient yes, but much more dirty and harmful to humans on the other side .
In 2014, Diesel and Unleaded 95 prices in Poland were pretty much the same. In quite a few stations diesel was even a bit more expensive!
AFAIK, in Switzerland and in the UK diesel has been more expensive for already quite a couple of years! However, at the end October 2014, petrol was around 0,30 EUR more expensive than diesel in France ... And our leftist government still dares to talk about ecology, when diesel was costing only 0,30 EUR more than LPG...
In Lithuania, the difference gets smaller and smaller. Now diesel is "only" 0,02 EUR more expensive here.
I never understood the fact at the end of the chain diesel is sold more expensive than unleaded. AFAIK it is much more expensive to produce....

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #3254
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16512

Diesel, in Italy, has always been way cheaper than petrol. This thanks to the automotive industries, that "asked" the government to lower the taxes on Diesel to sell more Diesel car (that are more expensive than Petrol ones).

In fact, taxes on Diesel are .20€ less than on petrol, in Italy.

Today's prices:

1,409€/litre for Unleaded 95
1,309€/litre for Diesel

A friend of mine sent me a photo of a service station in Australia where petrol was sold at 0.995A$/litre, that's 0.66€/L.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita

GROBIN liked this post
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #3255
tooljan

Likes (Received): 902

Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

1KM = 0.511€

SRC_100 liked this post
tooljan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #3256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A2, Switzerland. Due to the strong increase of the value of the Swiss Franc, diesel is now one of the most expensive in Europe.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #3257
bogdymol
bogdymod

This week I saw at an automated gas station from Austria Diesel at 0,999 Euro and Unleaded at 1,039 Euro.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #3258
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16512

Wow, switzerland now has bigger fuel prices that Italy, that's really some news.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #3259
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
This week I saw at an automated gas station from Austria Diesel at 0,999 Euro and Unleaded at 1,039 Euro.
Lithuanians should start striking right now!

Vilnius today:
Unleaded 95: 0,99 to 1,01 EUR
Diesel: 0,98 to 1,00 EUR
LPG: 0,59 to 0,599 EUR

Old January 24th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #3260
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A2, Switzerland. Due to the strong increase of the value of the Swiss Franc, diesel is now one of the most expensive in Europe.

Why are the prices quoted in euros?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
prices