daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #3281
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

In my extremely limited experience of paying for gas with cash in Canada*, yes.

*I've done it at least once.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #3282
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Nope. one of the gas stations i frequent has had "broken" at the pump debit/credit terminals for months now and make you go inside to pay after you fill up.

They typically have a maximum purchase limit however, usually either $100 or $150.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #3283
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Filled up for 105.9p in Abergavenny in South Wales as I was driving back to Aber again yesterday, which is about the same as in London, then I drove off and just down the road there was a BP station at 104.9p.

In fact yesterday I filled up twice, the first time was also 105.9p I think. It's 107.9p in Morrisons Aberystwyth now, the difference between Ceredigion and London has almost disappeared now.

The first petrol station has a pay-at-pump facility but it wasn't working yesterday and the second one didn't. The whole place looked quite old fashioned actually, the screen that says how much you've put in was the old fashioned type, which is fair enough, it works so cool.
Like this:

Not cool, you paid 1 p more than should have

Usually the gas stations I use in Canada have some pumps that are only for pump-card payment, and rest are open to fill first and pay later, except often they become pay first at night since the gas prices started going up

Paying first with cash is just terrible, you never know what you need...
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #3284
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

The first time I have seen that kind of practice was in Spain. At a glance, as I was buying for the first time gasoline there, I didn't knew for how much I had to fill, so instead I thought approximately in liters. It was very strange for me, because I had never "pre-paid" gas before, but only in self-service automated stations - where I almost did paid exclusively by card, so I never get worried about the limit.

Also, what's funny is that in many "poor" Eastern European countries this system is very uncommon - you just fill and pay after, even at night - while in richer ones with very cheap fuel it's widespread .

Last edited by John Maynard; January 28th, 2015 at 09:53 AM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #3285
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I have never seen this pre-paying for fuel on my trips. I did notice that in Norway you'll have to pay by bank card at the pump, even if the fuel station has a shop attendant. At one time they even apologized for the payment terminal being out of order and the customer having to walk inside to pay.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 28th, 2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: clarified
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #3286
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

I remember seeing it a couple of times in the UK at 24h petrol stations in slightly dodgy inner city areas where they made you pre-pay during the night, probably because they had experienced drivers filling up then driving off without paying. But I don't even know if they do that any longer, this was years ago...
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #3287
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I have never seen this pre-paying for fuel on my trips. I did notice that in Norway you'll have to pay by bank card at the pump, even if the fuel station has a shop attendant. At one time they even apologized for the payment terminal being out of order and the customer having to walk inside to pay.
That's not how it happens anywhere near where I live, you get the option when you pick up the pump to either pay at the pump or pay inside.

Petrol prices haven't changed at all in Norway, they do what they always do cheap on Monday, gradually increasing in price until Sunday then they drop back to the Monday morning price and repeat.

As usual Norwegian consumers are getting screwed over by paying considerably more for fuel than they should be. True to form nobody is complaining about it. To cap it all off the petrol retailers told consumers a few weeks back to expect pump price increases.

And people wonder why life in Norway is some damned expensive.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #3288
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

The Norwegian Krone has been falling almost as fast as the oil price (which is understandable considering how important oil is to the Norwegian economy), so that is probably why the price at the pumps hasn't been falling much there.

Why do they make it cheaper on Mondays though then increase the price every day before dropping it again the next Monday? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me, don't people just all fill up on a Monday if they know that's going to happen?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #3289
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
The Norwegian Krone has been falling almost as fast as the oil price (which is understandable considering how important oil is to the Norwegian economy), so that is probably why the price at the pumps hasn't been falling much there.
The krone hasn't fallen as far or as fast as the price of oil. It's simply the oil companies profit taking in Norway, just like last year when the Norwegian Central Bank dropped the interest rate the trading banks did not pass it on to people with mortgages, they decided to profit from it.

Quote:
Why do they make it cheaper on Mondays though then increase the price every day before dropping it again the next Monday? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me, don't people just all fill up on a Monday if they know that's going to happen?
I've no answer to that except it's Norway, not a lot about Norway makes sense, most Norwegians wouldn't even notice that this is happening, they just pay and get taken for a ride.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #3290
Kanadzie

Quote:
In Montreal Canada this happens too. Overnight during the week, price raises by 10 cents per litre, then will drop, slowly over the week. But the day always changes... sometimes Thursday, sometimes Friday... I always need to guess which day
Old January 29th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #3291
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Up a little here. At least at the friendly neighborhood Sunoco. (Which I only report on so much because (a) I pass it twice most days and (b) I can go weeks without seeing another Pennsylvania gas station, particularly during the winter when the only driving I'm doing is between here and Mom's)

$2.219 a few days ago and had sat there for about a week; $2.179 since (I think) Monday; $2.199 this afternoon.

Maybe it was that half-inch blizzard hampering deliveries from the refineries two miles away. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #3292
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Paid $1.99 (€0.47/liter) today.

I really didn't think I'd be buying gas this cheap ever again a couple weeks ago let alone months ago when it was still around $4/gallon.

It now only costs me around $23 to fill up at 1/4th tank.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #3293
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

Yesterday regular unleaded gas, a 10% ethanol blend, jumped up in price from $1.77 to $1.93.

The price is going to eventually be raised further in my opinion...

Quote:
CEDAR RAPIDS — On a day where the price of gas actually jumped up a few cents after weeks of steady decline, state lawmakers may be inching closer to a formal proposal to raise Iowa’s fuel tax for the first time in decades.

Sen. Tod Bowman, D-Maquoketa, said on Thursday as he drove home from Des Moines, that the Democratic and Republican caucuses from the House and Senate are meeting to reach an agreement on a final bill.

“They looked at the early draft and are looking at different issues they can expect or tweak a little bit,” said Bowman.

As with any issue involving taxation and the role of government, not everyone is onboard with state lawmakers pushing for a ten-cent increase in Iowa’s fuel tax.
“From the legislators I’m talking with, I don’t know if there’s as much push as what we’re hearing in the media right now,” said Rob Solt, president of Iowans for Tax Relief, based in Muscatine. “They still have a long way to go. If taxpayers don’t want a gas tax, a 45% increase from 22 cents to 32 cents, they’ve got to get on the phone and call their representative and their senator for why they don’t want it.”

Special interest lobbyists spent the Wednesday session at the capitol in Des Moines, pushing for the ten-cent fuel tax increase in Iowa.

Read more at http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/gov...mt0pVUUQt3K.99

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3294
Kanadzie

this is annoying - in Montreal, our 10% ethanol 87 octane is selling today at $1.099 per litre (!)
Old January 31st, 2015, 01:52 AM   #3295
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Up a little here. At least at the friendly neighborhood Sunoco. (Which I only report on so much because (a) I pass it twice most days and (b) I can go weeks without seeing another Pennsylvania gas station, particularly during the winter when the only driving I'm doing is between here and Mom's)

$2.219 a few days ago and had sat there for about a week; $2.179 since (I think) Monday; $2.199 this afternoon.

Maybe it was that half-inch blizzard hampering deliveries from the refineries two miles away. :-)
Back down, to $2.159.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:46 AM   #3296
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
this is annoying - in Montreal, our 10% ethanol 87 octane is selling today at $1.099 per litre (!)
Things are tough all over..that's how we roll in Iowa. Iowa is by far the #1 Ethanol producing state in the USA.

Follow the link for the full story.

Iowa top ethanol-producing state, with record 3.9 billion gallons

Quote:
January 09, 2015 2:04 pm

JOHNSTON — Iowa’s 43 ethanol plants produced 3.9 billion gallons during 2014, up from 3.7 billion gal. the previous three years, the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association (IRFA) recently announced.

Iowa continues to be the top ethanol-producing state and is estimated to account for roughly 27 percent of national ethanol production in 2014.

Iowa is the nation’s leader in renewable-fuels production.

Iowa has 43 ethanol refineries capable of producing more than 3.8 billion gallons annually, including 22 million gal. of annual cellulosic ethanol production capacity and one cellulosic ethanol facility currently under construction.
The figures on this chart do not match the article.

And I'm pretty sure Iowa is the #1 corn producing state.

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Old January 31st, 2015, 05:54 AM   #3297
Kanadzie

it seems such a waste to put etanol in a tank instead of a glass

I actually had customer ethanol-making factory here in Canada, we worked on a big mixer thing (huge outdoor vat/silo thing) If you climbed on top of it you could see the USA with ease (OK maybe it was only 25 miles to the border anyway...)

bd popeye liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:40 AM   #3298
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

The only reason why there is ethanol in gas is due to government lobbying.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #3299
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Between Monday and Tuesday (I keep forgetting to report it), the friendly neighborhood Sunoco went up 16 cents a gallon, to $2.339.

I paid (if memory serves) $1.799 in New Jersey* on my way home from Mom's Sunday.

*Here (QuickChek): https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.3...10568&t=m&z=17

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #3300
bd popeye

Gas has been creeping back up in price. Last night most stations in my neighborhood were at $1.99 a gallon last night.

On the way to work a news report stated that gas is expected to rise to $2.50 a gallon in the next few weeks and settle at that price.

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Tags
prices