daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:51 PM   #3421
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10684

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
Last weekend we took a short road trip to Waterloo IA. Gas was $2.72 a gallon there. Last night on my way home I noticed gas was $2.66 a gallon for unleaded regular a 10% ethanol blend.

By the way E-85 which is 85% ethanol is now $1.99 a gallon.
The price seems to be on a decline..Yesterday unleaded a 10% ethanol blend was $2.58.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #3422
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10684

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
The price seems to be on a decline..Yesterday unleaded a 10% ethanol blend was $2.58.
And today unleaded regular a 10% ethanol blend is now $2.49 a gallon.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM   #3423
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Poland - Zabrze (Uppersilesia) today on BP:

Euro 95 - PLN 4,99 / € 1.19 liter
Euro 98 (ultimate) - PLN 5,21/ € 1.25 liter
Diesel - PLN 4,54 / € 1.09 liter
Diesel (ultimate) - PLN 4,78 / € 1.14 liter
LPG - PLN 1,78 / € 0.43 liter

Exchange rate - 1 € = 4,18 PLN

SRC_100, johnnyboy55 liked this post
Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 04:55 PM   #3424
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I'm already missing the days of 4.12zl in Auchan

The Zloty is such an exasperating currency - there's no reason for it to be at 4.18zl / 1 EUR.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:15 PM   #3425
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
there's no reason for it to be at 4.18zl / 1 EUR.
That's a normal rate like by last 5 years.

Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #3426
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Gas prices in Grimmen, Germany.

Autogas LPG is some kind of alternative fuel, I have not seen it in any other country.

No biofuel (erdgas) at this gas station. But biogas is very cheap in Germany, compared to Sweden. I filled up 15kg, a full tank for 13€. In Sweden that costs more than 200SEK about 20€. 15kg biofuel will last up to 300km.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #3427
johnnyboy55
Ping Pong

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

Autogas LPG is some kind of alternative fuel, I have not seen it in any other country.

Some countries in which I have filled up LPG:
- Poland
- Greece
- Serbia
- Slovakia
- Italy
- Austira

And many many more. I would say that is in whole Europe (except Finland?)
johnnyboy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #3428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

LPG is common throughout Europe except for Scandinavia, Switzerland and Spain. They do exist in some of those countries, but are not popular (either due to high pricing or historic reasons).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #3429
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
LPG is common throughout Europe except for Scandinavia, Switzerland and Spain. They do exist in some of those countries, but are not popular (either due to high pricing or historic reasons).
I watched a tv-program about LPG and that many cars are aftermarket converted to this type of fuel. I actually saw a MB 500SL filling up with LPG. I wonder what it's like to drive such a sportscar on this fuel, probably the engine loses a couple of horsepowers. Driving on biogas means a slightly weaker motor compared to petrol.

About biogas:

Price in Germany: 1,08€/kg

Price in Sweden: 1,87€ (17.55kr/kg)

Why this difference ? I dont think people will choose biofuel here in Sweden if
petrol only is slightly more expensive. In Germany biogas is so cheap that there is a greater demand for cars that can run on alternative fuel.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #3430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

17.55 kr for biofuel? Petrol is doing around 14.50 kr per liter in Sweden. Why would people drive biofuel with such price differences?
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #3431
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
17.55 kr for biofuel? Petrol is doing around 14.50 kr per liter in Sweden. Why would people drive biofuel with such price differences?
One advantage is that vehicle tax on bifuel cars is cheaper than on petrol cars. I pay 100€ a year, while the petrol model of the same car costs about 220€

It's really difficult to know to exact cost of biofuel compared to petrol and if it's worth using it. I have read that the engine of bifuel cars is designed to mainly be run on biofuel, meaning that a bifuel car will consume more when it runs on petrol than a corresponding standard petrol-model.

17.55kr per kg. 1 Nm3 biofuel (methane) weighs c:a 0,8 kg. 1 Nm3 biofuel contains as much energy as 1,15 L petrol, so in Sweden biogas is 20% cheaper than petrol. The efficiency of biogas is about 5-10% lower than on petrol.
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #3432
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Also acording to studies from past years, "bio"fuel is maybe cheaper, but it's an environmental absurdity, in some conditions the environmental impact is higher than using petrol itself (due to the massive deforestation because of the lack of arable land across the globe, and also because of fertilizers and chemicals used, and all the process to obtain "bio"fuel after this....), and also in some situations it could compete with human food...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #3433
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

The cheapest you could buy today in Toronto would be $1.14(cdn)/litre (which is 90 cents US per litre).
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #3434
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
I watched a tv-program about LPG and that many cars are aftermarket converted to this type of fuel. I actually saw a MB 500SL filling up with LPG. I wonder what it's like to drive such a sportscar on this fuel, probably the engine loses a couple of horsepowers. Driving on biogas means a slightly weaker motor compared to petrol.
My dad's car runs on LPG. I have also used the car as it was mine for about a year. It's almost the same thing as petrol (you can't feel too much the power loss), but it's quite annoying during long trips as you have to refill much more often.

I have so far driven on LPG and refueled with LPG in Romania, Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Italy, Germany and France.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #3435
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have only a 35 L tank, so I have to refuel often as well. Sometimes I'll refuel 3 times per day on long trips. My gauge tends to exaggerate how empty the tank is. Even with 7 of 8 stripes being empty I rarely get more than 28 L in it. On the other hand you have to stop a few times on a day long trip anyway.

Some rest areas don't allow you to go to the parking area after you have refueled, which is annoying. It happened to me on Spanish toll roads.
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #3436
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
I have only a 35 L tank, so I have to refuel often as well. Sometimes I'll refuel 3 times per day on long trips. My gauge tends to exaggerate how empty the tank is. Even with 7 of 8 stripes being empty I rarely get more than 28 L in it. On the other hand you have to stop a few times on a day long trip anyway.

Some rest areas don't allow you to go to the parking area after you have refueled, which is annoying. It happened to me on Spanish toll roads.
That's a bit silly, isn't it? Logically, the filling area should be first with the parking area behind it. It also encourages people to spend money that way.

I'm thinking about an LPG car as well - the price is about 40c a litre in Poland, and I always stop multiple times on long trips anyway.

I read somewhere that there's some issues with the LPG fittings at fuel pumps and that you have to carry your own - is this true?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #3437
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post

I read somewhere that there's some issues with the LPG fittings at fuel pumps and that you have to carry your own - is this true?
I have seen signs warning about bringing your own adapter because it might cause an explosion.
If the pump doesnt fit you cant use it.
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #3438
bogdymol
bogdymod

Everywhere where I drove there was the same adapter as in Romania. So filling up was without any problems.

The only exception was Germany, where they have another adapter, but every time I went inside the gas station building and asked for their adapter. I always got it, it always worked, so I could fill up without problems.

The 4 type of adapters used in Europe. On the same website you can also find (almost) every gas station that sells LPG in Europe. It's really good.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

SRC_100, johnnyboy55 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #3439
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Also acording to studies from past years, "bio"fuel is maybe cheaper, but it's an environmental absurdity, in some conditions the environmental impact is higher than using petrol itself (due to the massive deforestation because of the lack of arable land across the globe, and also because of fertilizers and chemicals used, and all the process to obtain "bio"fuel after this....), and also in some situations it could compete with human food...
Like you eluded on your comment it can be better or even worse to environment.
I example find what Neste Oil is doing with fish refinery waste a great way of producing biofuel. They are able to harvest 30% of fish refinery waste to be used on their NEXBTL biofuel.

winnipeg liked this post
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #3440
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
Like you eluded on your comment it can be better or even worse to environment.
I example find what Neste Oil is doing with fish refinery waste a great way of producing biofuel. They are able to harvest 30% of fish refinery waste to be used on their NEXBTL biofuel.
Yes, a great example of what can/must do with biofuels, producing them from wastes is the way to follow, a hundred time better than producing them from arable lands that could be used for human food...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
prices