daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #3501
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

One thing I've never done before is pre-pay for fuel. I've never encountered it, going into the shop, pay a certain amount, then refuel. I've read this is increasingly common in Italy? In most places they've switched to a payment terminal, for instance on E20 in Denmark or E25 in Belgium. These fuel stations still have a shop, but you pay at the pump.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #3502
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16488

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
One thing I've never done before is pre-pay for fuel. I've never encountered it, going into the shop, pay a certain amount, then refuel. I've read this is increasingly common in Italy? In most places they've switched to a payment terminal, for instance on E20 in Denmark or E25 in Belgium. These fuel stations still have a shop, but you pay at the pump.
In Italy you can find 3 ways of filling the tank.

1) completely manned: you don't even come out of the car, just ask the employee the amount. Pay after.

2) Half-self service: you refill the amount you want, even coins-like prices (line, for example, 18,42€), then enter the shop and pay, after the refill.

3) Full self service: you pay the amount first at a machine near the pumps, no coins, and refill. No men here.

Of course fuel prices changes depending which of the 3 you choose: first one is the most expensive, second one in the middle and third one the cheapest.

Second option is only available during working times, of course, so no sundays (except some) and no nights. It allows you to use coins, every kind of debit or credit card and those pre-paid fuel card that the company issues. And of course allows you to earn points for each litre you buy, points that cant' be earned on self-service.

Price changes very much: if 3) costs 1,50€/l, 2) might be 1,60€/l and 3) even 1,75€/l.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualità della vita
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #3503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
3) Full self service: you pay the amount first at a machine near the pumps, no coins, and refill. No men here
Do you have to specify how much you want to refuel? I.e. 20 liters or 20 euros? Or just fill up and the amount due is billed to your account like a regular debit / credit card transaction? Or do you have to insert a banknote in the machine and fuel that amount? And does it gives change if you don't use it all?

The Netherlands is a very cashless society. I can go weeks without going to an ATM to get money. I rarely have over € 30 cash in my wallet.
Old August 26th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #3504
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Do you have to specify how much you want to refuel? I.e. 20 liters or 20 euros? Or just fill up and the amount due is billed to your account like a regular debit / credit card transaction? Or do you have to insert a banknote in the machine and fuel that amount? And does it gives change if you don't use it all?

The Netherlands is a very cashless society. I can go weeks without going to an ATM to get money. I rarely have over € 30 cash in my wallet.
You have to insert notes in that, and depending on how much you paid, you can refill.

So you don't get to choose the amount of litres, only the amount of cash you want to spend.

If you pay by card, which is usually possible with ATM card and credit card with PIN [no signature allowed, since there'd be no-one checking it] (but not with certain debit card, don't know why), you can refill how much you want, not exceeding 100€. But you can choose to pay any price. After you put the pump "thing" (we call it "pistol" in italian, don't know the english name for that) back at its place, the amount is charged on the card and the receipt comes out of the machine.

It never gives change, but if you don't use all the amount you put in by cash, you get a special receipt, with which you need to go to the station shop (during work hours, of course) and he can either give the money back or fill your tank the amount written on that receipt.

That means that if you insert 20€, but you fuel for only 15, you get this piece of paper. The day after (or even in that moment, if it's open) you go to the owner and he either gives you 5€ back, or fill your tank the remaining 5€ (assuming you have space in you car's tank).

Old August 26th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #3505
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy55 View Post
North Poland :

Cheapest Diesel 3.99 pln/l or 0.94 eur/l or 1.08 usd/l

Average :

E95 : 4.80 pln/l or 1.13 eur/ l or 1.30 usd/l
Diesel: 4.30 pln/l or 1.02 eur/l or 1.16 usd/l
LPG: 1.90 pln/l or 0.44 eur/l or 0.52 usd/l

1 EUR = 4.24 PLN and 1 USD=3.68 PLN
So Poland doesn't have those crazy European-style taxes on fuel?
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #3506
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Austria at automated stations you have 2 options to pay:

1. Card: you place the card in, they pre-authorize it, then you fill up how much you want, and at the end they will charge your card with the amount you filed up.

2. Cash (only banknotes): you insert the banknote into the machine (50 Euros for example) and then you can start the pump. At 50 Euros it stops automatically. If you refill less than that, it gives you a receipt with a bar code which you can use as a discount the next time you come.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #3507
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
I've had to do this a few times in Canada and USA
especially common at night. But if you pay at pump, you don't have to.

it's annoying if you want to fill the car. Maybe the gas you paid for won't fit, so you would need to go back for change
so instead every time I just put a 20 $ and then went to another station the next day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Well in Euro-Poland it is $1.30 USD per litre, and in Ameri-Poland (Chicago) only 70 cents USD per litre or so, so still crazy, but better than Germany or Netherlands!

Last edited by Kanadzie; August 26th, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3508
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
4.80 PLN/l is nearly $ 5 per gallon. So it's taxed much higher than in the United States, but less than some western / northern European countries like the Netherlands and Norway.
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #3509
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Almost all European countries charge around 80-120% taxes on Diesel (gasoline about 20% more) - including Poland.

Lowest on Diesel in Europe is usually Lithuania at around 75% tax, Poland is around 85%, most then around 100%. Germany is around 110%, Britain is the sole highest at around 160%.
For 95 octane gas, Britain is highest at 170%, Germany 150%, most are at around 135-140%, Poland 110%, cheapest is Latvia at 100%.

That's the reason why 500+ liter additional tanks have become not uncommon on trucks in particular from Eastern Europe. And why police really liked to check trucks for those extra, illegal-without-customs-declaration tanks before pretty much all of Eastern Europe joined the EU.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #3510
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

Some countries are changing their policy and will charge Diesel more than gasoline. Because they think it will be better for the environment.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #3511
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
Almost all European countries charge around 80-120% taxes on Diesel (gasoline about 20% more) - including Poland.

Lowest on Diesel in Europe is usually Lithuania at around 75% tax, Poland is around 85%, most then around 100%. Germany is around 110%, Britain is the sole highest at around 160%.
For 95 octane gas, Britain is highest at 170%, Germany 150%, most are at around 135-140%, Poland 110%, cheapest is Latvia at 100%.

That's the reason why 500+ liter additional tanks have become not uncommon on trucks in particular from Eastern Europe. And why police really liked to check trucks for those extra, illegal-without-customs-declaration tanks before pretty much all of Eastern Europe joined the EU.
Italy charges 168% on E95 and 154% on Diesel...

Second one is lowest because of many tax discounts during the year, since production cost is not that lower:

E95: 607,42€/1000L
Diesel: 569,49€/1000L

Old August 28th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #3512
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundial View Post
Some countries are changing their policy and will charge Diesel more than gasoline. Because they think it will be better for the environment.
Diesel is an incredible health disaster, firstly for fine particles they produce, and now for the solution to this problem that came from car manufacturers few years ago, the catalytic converter who is working great on fines particules but who produce some others dangerous chemicals like nitrogen oxides who are another big health concern (you can find huge quantities of it in french big cities for example)... So the solution to the problem have only created another problem...

In few years this will certainly become a public scandal as car manufacturer and autorities just close their eyes to premature deaths coming from this, and especially in some countries, like in France where diesel industry have a huge part of national car manufacturers and petrol companies... and they put pressure on french and european autorities to close their eyes...

So it's not that they think that "it will be better for the environment", it is truly proved that diesel is a big health concern and it shouldn't be cheaper than gasoline at all!!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #3513
narkelion
Brentered

But it is.

And I don't get why, but Diesel has always been cheaper than gasoline in Italy, even though it's not cheaper to get it from crude oil.

In here, in Australia, Diesel is way more expensive.

Old August 28th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #3514
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

In the US most cars are gas powered. Many pick=up trucks have diesel engines but not the majority of them. Of course large over the road trucks are diesel.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #3515
narkelion
Brentered

Is it really so?

I've always thought that those huge trucks were gasoline-powered. Like the majority of cars, though.

How much does diesel cost in the US, in the average? And how likely is it to find in any station?

Old August 28th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3516
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

yes absolutely, commercial trucks and big "heavy duty" personal pickup trucks are essentially always diesel.
Exception would be rented cube vans used for DIY moving purposes, I imagine they figure the renter will pay the gas, so they take cheaper engine option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Diesel is an incredible health disaster, firstly for fine particles they produce, and now for the solution to this problem that came from car manufacturers few years ago, the catalytic converter who is working great on fines particules but who produce some others dangerous chemicals like nitrogen oxides who are another big health concern (you can find huge quantities of it in french big cities for example)... So the solution to the problem have only created another problem...

In few years this will certainly become a public scandal as car manufacturer and autorities just close their eyes to premature deaths coming from this, and especially in some countries, like in France where diesel industry have a huge part of national car manufacturers and petrol companies... and they put pressure on french and european autorities to close their eyes...

So it's not that they think that "it will be better for the environment", it is truly proved that diesel is a big health concern and it shouldn't be cheaper than gasoline at all!!
The catalyst reduces NOx in the reduction portion of the catalyst on gasoline engines.

It's difficult for diesel engine since it tends to produce more NOx (localized hot spots) and the catalyst can't effectively reduce (excessive exhaust O2 content). So they use lean-NOx trap style or use a urea solution ("blue") to eliminate NOx.

I'm not sure if the NOx is a health issue, even some of those compounds are used in medicine (dentist gas...) but more an issue with formation of smog.
Old August 28th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #3517
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10628

Quote:
Is it really so?

I've always thought that those huge trucks were gasoline-powered. Like the majority of cars, though.

How much does diesel cost in the US, in the average? And how likely is it to find in any station?
Right here in Cedar Rapids IA diesel is running about $2.39 a gallon.

as of this minute unleaded regular is $2.31 to $2.39 a gallon.

Diesel is easy to find. many gas stations sell both gasoline and diesel.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

narkelion liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 05:14 AM   #3518
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
Is it really so?

Trucks are diesel because it has more torque, something you really need in a truck.
Old August 28th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #3519
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

The average price in Toronto is 0.999 $ Cdn cents/litre at most GTA gas stations. This is about 0.76 US per litre. I don't think gas is all that much cheaper across the border anymore.
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #3520
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
I heard a news report on the price of fuel in the US and fuel is expected to drop to below $2.00 a gallon as soon as some refineries are place back in service...Yeah.. that's what they always say...Or they are switching to the winter or summer blend.
I think we will see another "accident" before that happens like last time.

Back in the winter, I think I filled up at $1.99 once (cost me $22 to fill my car up at 1/4th tank!), and then prices started to soar.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
prices