daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #3881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I don't get the urge for manned fuel station in The Netherlands. Most in Belgium are not manned except for those on highways or highway exits. Most fuelstations are just a row of pumps and an automat.
Many manned fuel stations have already been turned into unmanned, automated stations. This is where most people fuel, as they usually offer the lowest prices (typically a 9-12 cent discount).

The remaining manned fuel stations act like small shops. They are mainly on motorway service areas, major roads and in some cities where they are the only shops open at night.

In my city there is a full-service Esso with 3 unmanned fuel stations within 500 meters (2 of those directly on the same road) and 3 more within a kilometer radius. Yet despite its non-competitive fuel prices it survives. Most of these stations make their profit from sales of food, snacks and drinks, not the actual sale of fuel.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

joshsam liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #3882
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

I filled up today for 14,04 kr/liter, which is 1,47 €/liter or $5.88/gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
I need some sort of conversion chart for comparing the price of fuel in the US to the rest of the World.
Google is pretty handy for this. If you type in "14.04 SEK/liter to USD/gallon" or "$2.25/gallon to EUR/liter" you get a conversion like

Code:
14.04 (Swedish kronor / liter) =
5.87637756 U.S. dollars / US gallon
or

Code:
$2.25 / US gallon =
0.562839939 Euros / liter

bd popeye liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #3883
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10639

Thank you!! I really appreciate your answer...

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #3884
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many manned fuel stations have already been turned into unmanned, automated stations. This is where most people fuel, as they usually offer the lowest prices (typically a 9-12 cent discount).
In Poland almost all are manned. In such a way that you fuel your car up on your own (it's rarely done by a man from the station - especially if someone fuels LPG gas), but you go to a small shop and pay there at the counter.

Fully automated stations are cheaper, but they are rare and some people are afraid of tanking there, because it sometimes happens that it swallows the money (or charges it from the card) and gives no fuel. At a "normal" station it's not a problem, you fuel up first and then pay.

By the way, it's interesting that in Poland we don't have many Europe-wide branches of gas stations, like OMV, Aral or Agip. Lukoil has recently sold their stations in Poland (although the new owner operates them still under the Lukoil brand). But we have two very big local branches instead: Orlen and Lotos.

From those Europe-wide, we have: BP, Shell (not so many stations and they are usually more expensive than others) and Statoil. There is also quite many independent ones, especially in places out of big cities and main roads.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #3885
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Brands from polish petrol station market with its number of petrol stations. Given only brands with over 100 petrol stations.

* Norwegian network of Statoil was sold to canadian company K Circle
** Russian network of Lukoil was sold to austrian company AMIC Energy Management

Last edited by SRC_100; January 7th, 2017 at 02:31 AM.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #3886
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In Poland almost all are manned.
I noticed this in the Czech Republic and other eastern countries as well. I suppose it's due to the lower labor cost. It's difficult to sell fuel, maintain competitive prices while at the same time pay several staff € 25,000 - 30,000 per year in salary, pension and social insurances.
Old January 7th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #3887
Kpc21

By the way, I have noticed that the prices of products like soft drinks, sweets and everything else what is normally sold at manned stations and has nothing to do with cars (so excluding the stuff like oils and other car liquids, light bulbs for car, car accessories, maps) are not much more expensive there than in normal shops/supermarkets in Poland. There is a difference, but it's not that huge. Meanwhile in Germany and other western countries the difference is much higher.

Orlen has also a branch of low-cost stations called Bliska (Polish for "the close one" in the feminine gender, as "stacja" - station is feminine). The difference was they don't offer premium fuels and don't accept the Orlen loyalty program cards (called "Vitay" - Polish for "welcome", but written phonetically in English). They have started to convert them to normal Orlen stations some time ago, but there are still some Bliskas in Poland too.

It's interesting that there is more Shell stations than Lukoil station in Poland. In the city of Łódź there is definitely more Lukoils.

Concerning the automated stations, the biggest branch of them was Neste, according to Wikipedia it was Finnish. In 2013 they were overtaken by Shell, but there was no brand name. In 2014 they sold them to a Polish company, which rebranded them to E-Mila (Polish for "e-mile" or "Emily").

Last edited by Kpc21; January 7th, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 8th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #3888
richard88

Likes (Received): 3

Canberra, Australia

91 - 127.9 AU cents per litre (0.89 Euro per litre)
95 - 139.9 AU cents per litre (0.97 Euro per litre)
98 - 146.9 AU cents per litre (1.02 Euro per litre)
Diesel - 129.9 AU cents per litre (0.90 Euro per litre)
LPG - 61.9 AU cents per litre (0.43 Euro per litre)

SRC_100 liked this post
richard88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #3889
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2124

Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #3890
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

1,078 CAD/L
2,38 USD/gal(US) = 3,15 CAD / 3,78 L/gal = 0,833 CAD/L

carbon tax!

Buffaboy liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #3891
Village Idiot

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed this in the Czech Republic and other eastern countries as well. I suppose it's due to the lower labor cost. It's difficult to sell fuel, maintain competitive prices while at the same time pay several staff € 25,000 - 30,000 per year in salary, pension and social insurances.
In Poland there are two reasons for this

1. Until recently Polish legislation required LPG to be dispensed by an employee of the service station. Polish consumers typically rebuild their engines to run on LPG instead of gasoline given the massive price difference. I believe Poland sells more LPG than gasoline.

2. Poland is a cash intensive country. Payment cards only recently began gaining popularity and recently bank cards had the second lowest penetration rate in Europe. Hence stations have to be manned.
Village Idiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #3892
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
By the way, I have noticed that the prices of products like soft drinks, sweets and everything else what is normally sold at manned stations and has nothing to do with cars (so excluding the stuff like oils and other car liquids, light bulbs for car, car accessories, maps) are not much more expensive there than in normal shops/supermarkets in Poland. There is a difference, but it's not that huge. Meanwhile in Germany and other western countries the difference is much higher.

Orlen has also a branch of low-cost stations called Bliska (Polish for "the close one" in the feminine gender, as "stacja" - station is feminine). The difference was they don't offer premium fuels and don't accept the Orlen loyalty program cards (called "Vitay" - Polish for "welcome", but written phonetically in English). They have started to convert them to normal Orlen stations some time ago, but there are still some Bliskas in Poland too.

It's interesting that there is more Shell stations than Lukoil station in Poland. In the city of Łódź there is definitely more Lukoils.

Concerning the automated stations, the biggest branch of them was Neste, according to Wikipedia it was Finnish. In 2013 they were overtaken by Shell, but there was no brand name. In 2014 they sold them to a Polish company, which rebranded them to E-Mila (Polish for "e-mile" or "Emily").
Quite a diffrence in Latvia, everything costs almost the double in manned gas stations. That goes for the bigger chains like Statoil or Neste (unmanned, but usually comes with Narvesen or/and Hesburger).

Neste is the biggest unmanned chain here, but most of the manned gas stations (Statoil, Gotika Auto, Lukoil, Shell and others) offer paying with credit card right next to the fuel pump. In Neste you an also pay with banknotes, something that most other stations don't accept.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.

Kpc21 liked this post
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #3893
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

1,078 CAD/L
2,38 USD/gal(US) = 3,15 CAD / 3,78 L/gal = 0,833 CAD/L

carbon tax!
gas has always been cheaper in the US. The carbon tax added only 4.5 cents in taxes on January 1st. That 1.078 / litre would be 1.033/litre without it. Ontario has a 10 cent federal gas tax, 14.7 cent provincial gas tax, carbon tax, then sales tax of 13%.. even at 0 taxation that gas is around 66 cents.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:26 AM   #3894
Cakwan

Likes (Received): 355

In Java, Indonesia, fuel prices are pretty much the same:

December 2016 price per liter
90 octane 'Pertalite'= $0.55
92 octane 'Pertamax' = $0.6
Diesel 'Solar' $0.6

January 2017 price per liter
90 octane 'Pertalite'= $0.56
92 octane 'Pertamax' = $0.65
Diesel 'Solar' $0.65

We do have 95 octane 'Pertamax Plus' @ $0.75/L & 98 octane 'Pertamax Turbo' @ $0.8/L but they hard to come by even in large cities
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:11 PM   #3895
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1318

Latvijas Nafta in Riga, Latvia

E95 - 1.129 EUR/l
E98 - 1.149 EUR/l
Diesel - 1.090 EUR/l

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:25 PM   #3896
Kpc21

In Poland, in Łódź area, the Pb 95 costs currently something around 4,60 zł. A week ago I paid 4,55 zł, choosing rather a cheaper station (my nearest one, even though it belongs to the same branch, was 4,63 zł).

The current exchange rate on Internet money exchange platforms is around 4,30 zł/EUR, so this price (4,60 zł) in euro will be 1,07 EUR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
2. Poland is a cash intensive country. Payment cards only recently began gaining popularity and recently bank cards had the second lowest penetration rate in Europe. Hence stations have to be manned.
Second lowest after Germany, I believe Paying by card in Germany is still a pain, but now it's better than it was a few years ago anyway. Most supermarkets accept foreign cards now, but card payment (even with those German EC cards) is still usually impossible in smaller shops or in pubs and restaurants.

In Poland you also won't pay by card everywhere, but small shops very often accept them, the same is for "better" restaurants and all the supermarkets.

Last edited by Kpc21; February 3rd, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:28 PM   #3897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands is quite a bit more expensive:

Euro 95: € 1.678
Diesel: € 1.329

These are the 'national advisory prices', which you generally only pay at motorway service areas. Most people refuel at unmanned stations which are generally € 0.10 - 0.13 cheaper less expensive.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:15 PM   #3898
Kpc21

By the way, on an automated (unmanned) station, I would pay maybe 0,05 - 0,10 zł less.

And the station I refueled for that price was not only manned, but they had even an employee who was responsible for help in refueling. One for all the stands - so most of the people refuel on their own, but the lucky one lets the man refuel and can already go to the shop to pay (or wait in a queue for paying because he must wait till the end of refuelling anyway).

It was a station of our biggest branch, Orlen. Interestingly, on the stations in cities they usually don't have such employees, but in smaller towns it's quite common. And it was a station in a town.
Old February 4th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #3899
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Shell mostly has people employed only for refueling
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #3900
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9109

All Shell stations have them. And something false about Shell's overtaking the Neste chain (what Kpc21 said) is that all of them were rebranded as e-Mila: there are also automatic-only stations of Shell brand and many of them were changed into traditional, but still small ones (I guess that more than stayed automatic-only). What's weird, those unmanned ones are visibly more expensive than those converted into traditional. At one of them I fuel usually, there the 95 gasoline is nearly always ~0,10 PLN cheaper than at a different Shell about a kilometer further.

Otherwise the Statoil 1-2-3 unmanned station is definitely the cheapest here in Tarnowskie Góry, while the quality of the gas being sold there is rather safe. What I would not say about unchained ones selling the gas in quite equal prices.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
prices