daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #941
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
nobody uses diesel for cars in the US, but i don't hear anyone complaining
That used to be true, but not anymore. There are some diesel cars in the US and plenty of SUV's and personal pickup trucks. Most gas stations have a Diesel pump. And when the Volkswagen TDI comes in, there will be plenty of those on the road because they offer hybrid-like economy at a lower price.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #942
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
I don't understand why americans complain about high gas prices. Even if prices hit 7$/gallon it would still be lower than in Denmark.
I don't understand how Europeans put up with those humonguos taxes that their governments slap on motor fuels. Gas is a basic necessity product (at least in the US where good public trasportation is lacking) and those European-style confiscatory taxes would make life a living hell for most middle and lower class people, especially the most poor.
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #943
El Tiburon

In South Florida, average price for a gallon (3.78 liters) of 87 octane regular gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol is $2.85 but the price is creeping upwards as oil goes up to $85 a barrel. That's 2.11 euros per gallon or 0.56 euros per liter. To us, that's a pretty high price. A "normal" price for gas should be in the $1.50 to $2 per gallon range.
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #944
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
But the Government in Brazil does not like diesel powered cars:

Source:
http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_not_brazil_outlaws/
Another reason to ban diesel in Brasil is to protect the large local industry that produces cheap ethanol from sugar cane.
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #945
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Tango gasstation celebrates it's tenth anniversery by significantly lowering gas prices on 4 different days. Today between 14:00 and 17:00 Euro 95 was €1,16/L and diesel €0,85/L. This meant that Euro 95 was 42,5 ct below the actual price. As you can imagine it was a complete chaos
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #946
Xmaster
Lithuanian

Likes (Received): 329

Today in Lithuania:
Euro 95: 1.19€/liter
Diesel: 1.02€/liter
Xmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #947
piotr71

Southern England today:
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #948
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Warsaw today:

=
1.07€ for Diesel
1.19€ for E95
0.59€ for LPG
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #949
crcorp

Likes (Received): 0

Fuel prices are starting to rise again...
Here in France I saw diesel prices passing the 1 euro barrier about 3 weeks ago (inited by the so-called threat that fuel would become sparse as a result of strikes - and of course prices didn't go back afterwards).
Diesel is now around € 1,10 and gasoline should be somewhere around € 1,35.

By the way, perhaps that some Polish people here could help me out: when I was in Wroclaw last summer, I saw prices similar to those indicated by Fuzzy Llama one post earlier. These prices are a little lower than those in Western-Europe, but these prices must still be incredibly expensive for Polish people if you compare them to prices for drinks and food in restaurants and the like. Is it also perceived like this by the Poles or are these prices considered to be "normal"?
crcorp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #950
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

Esso service station:
unleaded 95 1,358 €/l
diesel 1,158 €/l

If you have to fill up in Italy, you can find out the cheapest service station at www.prezzibenzina.it, usually the unbranded ones.
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #951
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcorp View Post
these prices must still be incredibly expensive for Polish people if you compare them to prices for drinks and food in restaurants and the like. Is it also perceived like this by the Poles or are these prices considered to be "normal"?
Well, gas prices in Poland (and in whole Eastern Europe) over last 10 years were always similar to those in the West so they are considered 'normal'. Of course we earn much less than the Westeners (average monthly salary after taxes in year 2009 was 2318zł/599€, the median was 1909zł/493€), which means that gas constitutes a greater share in Polish household budget than in French one. And of course it's not only gas - electronics, cars, clothing, books, international trips etc. cost the same here and in the West. Even houses - after recent boom in prices now an apartment in Berlin is cheaper than a one in Warsaw.
But this is reality and we have to cope with that, together with the rest of Eastern Europe.

Mind that when considering a car budget as a whole, the gas prices are somewhat balanced with lack of other annual car or road taxes - you only pay excise (13-20% of car net worth) and VAT when you buy a new car and that's it - apart from the fuel taxes the government doesn't want any more money from you.

It is also worth noticing that LPG conversions are quite popular - as you can see LPG is 50% cheaper than E95 (mainly because the taxes are much lower).

Last edited by Fuzzy Llama; April 11th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #952
csd

Likes (Received): 49

Ireland (Dublin):
95 RON Unleaded: €1.32/litre
Diesel: €1.22/litre

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #953
crcorp

Thank you for your detailed response Fuzzy Llama . I suppose that with this situation, having (and above all driving) a car is more or less reserved for people who have quite consistent salaries...
Anyhow, respect that even though prices must seem astronomical to you, you still manage to drive!
crcorp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #954
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

That's also why I don't understand Americans think we cannot afford to drive. Even lower income countries like Poland and Slovakia manage to drive en-masse, even when the fuel prices are maybe 8 times as high as the U.S. relative to GDP.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #955
alexcheetah

Is it true that in the US gasoline is cheaper then Diesel?
I'm from Canada, but when my family passed through New York state this march, gas was like 50 cents a liter while diesel was 80 cents a liter.
alexcheetah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

yeah diesel is taxed higher in the US. It's the opposite from most of Europe.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #957
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 918

Fortunately, since I have a diesel car.

btw, I noticed diesel costs more than the unleaded in Switzerland.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #958
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10385

Diesel is generally higher than regular and medium, but cheaper or around the price of premium gasoline here.

In the past, it used to be cheaper. But in summer 2008, it hit heights that gas didn't (high of over $5/gallon). But I think if we had more of those diesel car models that are more fuel efficient like in Europe, I think that the cost would be balanced out nicely.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #959
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Yea the extra 30 cents per gallon is worth it if you factor in getting a combined mpg of 40 instead of 20.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #960
CuriosoCPS

Campinas (Brazil)

Regular Gas: R$2.39/litre (€1.00/litre or US$5.14/gallon)
Ethanol: R$1.45/litre (€0.61/litre or US$3.12/gallon)
Diesel: R$1.89/litre (€0.79/litre or US$4.07/gallon)
Natural Gas: R$1.59/m³ (€0.67/m³)

Goods transportation in Brazil is made mainly by trucks, so there is lack of Diesel and excess of Gas (Brazil imports Diesel and exports Gas). Also, for many years Gas has had much higher taxes than Diesel, so that one paid the other. Despite of it, Brazil produces Diesel fueled cars and exports them to other countries.
CuriosoCPS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
prices