daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1421
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Which brings me to a good point, have any of you seen a change in traffic due to your fuel costs such as if your in one of the countries where it's around or more than twice the US average?
In Italy prices are raising but traffic it is always the same.

Maybe during the weekend people tend to travel less than before but in the weekdays (included saturday) there are sometimes that you wish to put a gun next to your head and...bang!
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1422
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

In Huesca:
Diesel: €1.292/l ($6.840/gal)
95 petrol: €1.317/l ($6.972/gal)

I want cheaper gas! . Still remember the old days when liter counter ran faster than fare counter.
BTW, actual price of 95 gas is €0.666/l ($3.526/gal), more or less the price of gas in the US.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1423
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Diesel fuel costs € 1,40 in the Netherlands. My car consumes 1 liter per 19 kilometers. That is € 0,075 per km
Gasoline costs € 0,65 in the United States. An average american family car consumes like 1 liter per 10 kilometers. That is € 0,065 per km.
As you can see, the matter is when you have a car that makes 11 km per liter, like my car!

So, today the average fuel price in Italy for Super 95 is 1,515 € per liter.

1,515 : 11 = 0,138 € per km!
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1424
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
In Huesca:
Diesel: €1.292/l ($6.840/gal)
95 petrol: €1.317/l ($6.972/gal)

I want cheaper gas! . Still remember the old days when liter counter ran faster than fare counter.
BTW, actual price of 95 gas is €0.666/l ($3.526/gal), more or less the price of gas in the US.
In Italy due to liras it never ran faster!

When we switched to €uro I saw that scene only once: my father's car needs diesel as fuel and in December 2007 we found Diesel for 0,999 € per liter!
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1425
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

And in Spain with pesetas it never ran faster too! But I was talking of 2002-2007, already with €uros.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #1426
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The real difference is in other taxes, like car taxes. In the Netherlands, you pay 42% + 19% tax over your vehicle. It costs $ 1500 to get a drivers license. You have to pay $ 600 - 1500 per year in road tax. The fine collection is automated and targeted at small offenses (highest revenue), etc.
[Correct me if I'm wrong], but in Ohio we pay 6.5% sales tax + $50 (for driver's licence). There is also a few other charges (like insurance, etc.), but they are very insignificant. U.S. is probably the cheapest place to buy a car.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1427
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
[Correct me if I'm wrong], but in Ohio we pay 6.5% sales tax + $50 (for driver's licence). There is also a few other charges (like insurance, etc.), but they are very insignificant. U.S. is probably the cheapest place to buy a car.
I bought my Dad's seven-year-old car when he was unable to drive any more (Parkinson's disease), for a ridiculously low amount and the understanding that I spend every other weekend at my parents', without which my mother would end up taking care of him full time. Which I don't mind because it's the right thing to do anyway, and I was already doing it, and taking the car home with me between visits. There was a fee of I think something around $100.00 for the initial registration, including sales tax on what I paid for the car. (And then having to convince the state that I really paid that much and wasn't trying to cheat them on the sales tax, since the car's worth many times that.) Part of that fee was actually paid to the AAA for handling the paperwork for me. (The AAA, for non-Americans, is the American Automobile Association, our national drivers' club. Like the British AA or Dutch ANWB.)

Annual registration renewal - just got the bill for this year - is $36.00
My insurance is a bit over $90.00 a month.

I pay the City of Philadelphia, every year...I forget what, maybe $25.00?...for a residential parking permit which exempts me from meters and time limits in my part of the city (which includes a generous slice of the downtown area).

Then there's gas, and AAA membership (which is nothing to do with the government, obviously, and therefore not required, but handy to have for breakdown assistance and travel discounts.) I'm at the "AAAPlus" level - which offers more benefits including long-distance towing - which costs very approximately $100.00 a year. Got the "Plus" membership because I once had an alternator failure 70 miles from home on a Sunday evening, and hence a very expensive tow.

The thousand-dollar driving courses and the like that our European friends report are astonishing to me. Here you get (or this was the way it worked 30 years ago) a learner's permit which permits you to drive with an adult, and your parents teach you to drive. (Whether everyone's parents, or older friends, or whoever, do a good enough job is another subject.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1428
bogdymol
bogdymod

Today the petrol price reached 5.99 RON/liter (1.43 E/l). This is the all time record, but rumors say that it will go up to 7 RON (1.67 E).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #1429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

the Netherlands currently has an all-time high with € 1.706 per liter for E95 fuel.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1430
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
the Netherlands currently has an all-time high with € 1.706 per liter for E95 fuel.
My neighborhood Sunoco station is about 20 percent short of its 2008 peak (fingers crossed). I understand Europe's having a more dramatic increase this time than last because the dollar's stronger against the Euro than it was then.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1431
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

All time record in Italy too, where standard unleaded reached 1.56€/l on average with peaks of 1.61€ in the South...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1432
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The thousand-dollar driving courses and the like that our European friends report are astonishing to me. Here you get (or this was the way it worked 30 years ago) a learner's permit which permits you to drive with an adult, and your parents teach you to drive. (Whether everyone's parents, or older friends, or whoever, do a good enough job is another subject.)
You can do that in Italy too. You get a 6-months-valid learner's permit (we call it "pink card" because of its colour) and you can drive if accompanied by someone who had a license for more than 10 years. Nobody forces you to take the theoretical courses and the practical driving lessons at the driving-school, because those are expensive. You can take your exams as an external student, and this is a lot cheaper.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1433
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

E95 around 1.34-1.35 €/l in Madrid
willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1434
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
[...]
The thousand-dollar driving courses and the like that our European friends report are astonishing to me.
[...]
Thanks for the summary. Just for the record I'd try to quickly describe the cost of car ownership in a poorer part of the Old Continent - in Poland.

First of all, there is no road taxes apart from those included in gas (which is priced at a more-or-less european level, currently ~1.25€/l). When you buy a car you pay of course the VAT (23%) and excise (3.5% of car worth for cars with engines below 2L and a whooping 19% for those above that limit - yep, there's that much difference). Registration cost about 50€, regardless if it's new or used car.

The only mandatory fees are the annual technical examination (currently 25€ for any car <3.5t, the price is set by the law) and the civil liability insurance. The cost of it depends mainly on your driving record, your age, the car's engine and special offers from your insurer. For example, I, as a relatively fresh driver, would pay something like 200€/year for the most basic civil liability insurance for a 11 years old Renault Megane with 1.4L engine, but with my father as a co-owner and the insurance tied in bundle with house insurance it is over 3 times cheaper. My parents' 6 years old Mazda 6 (2.0L diesel) basic insurance is a little over 100€/year but I don't really remember the exact value.

In addition many cars are insured with non mandatory insurance which covers for damages which are your fault, car thieft etc. (how it's called in English? It's "autocasco" in Polish, "Kaskoversicherung" in German but I have no clue about English term) and/or the road-assistance insurance. It heavily depends on your place of residence and the car's worth. For the mentioned Megane it's additional 150€/year, for the Mazda it's over 400€/year.

Driving courses are mandatory here. They cost about 300-400€ which covers theory lectures, 30h of driving sessions and the 'internal exam' which prepares you to face the real one. The real one 5 years ago cost something like 30€ but I don't know if the prices are still the same.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1435
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Thanks for the summary. Just for the record I'd try to quickly describe the cost of car ownership in a poorer part of the Old Continent - in Poland.

First of all, there is no road taxes apart from those included in gas (which is priced at a more-or-less european level, currently ~1.25€/l). When you buy a car you pay of course the VAT (23%) and excise (3.5% of car worth for cars with engines below 2L and a whooping 19% for those above that limit - yep, there's that much difference). Registration cost about 50€, regardless if it's new or used car.

The only mandatory fees are the annual technical examination (currently 25€ for any car <3.5t, the price is set by the law) and the civil liability insurance. The cost of it depends mainly on your driving record, your age, the car's engine and special offers from your insurer. For example, I, as a relatively fresh driver, would pay something like 200€/year for the most basic civil liability insurance for a 11 years old Renault Megane with 1.4L engine, but with my father as a co-owner and the insurance tied in bundle with house insurance it is over 3 times cheaper. My parents' 6 years old Mazda 6 (2.0L diesel) basic insurance is a little over 100€/year but I don't really remember the exact value.

In addition many cars are insured with non mandatory insurance which covers for damages which are your fault, car thieft etc. (how it's called in English? It's "autocasco" in Polish, "Kaskoversicherung" in German but I have no clue about English term) and/or the road-assistance insurance. It heavily depends on your place of residence and the car's worth. For the mentioned Megane it's additional 150€/year, for the Mazda it's over 400€/year.

Driving courses are mandatory here. They cost about 300-400€ which covers theory lectures, 30h of driving sessions and the 'internal exam' which prepares you to face the real one. The real one 5 years ago cost something like 30€ but I don't know if the prices are still the same.
The English term you want may be "collision coverage." Insurance rates do vary based on what sort of coverage you want, your driving record, and so on, and the insurance business is fairly competitive. When I bought my Dad's car two years ago (and I hadn't owned once since 1995, living in a downtown area where it wasn't necessary), I called around a bit for rate quotes, got a significantly lower quote from one company (with a well-known cockney-accented lizard in its commercials) than everyone else and went with them; my policy renews every six months and every time the price drops a bit because my record's clean (knock on wood).

I forgot about inspection. In New Jersey, where I grew up and lived until I was 30, it was annual, and it was done at state-owned facilities for no cost. I believe the state facilities no longer exist and I'm certain it's no longer done every year, at least for newer cars.

In Pennsylvania, where I live now, it's annual and there are no state facilities - you do it at a mechanic certified by the state to perform that service. As far as I know the mechanic can charge you what he wants.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #1436
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

In the Netherlands there are basically two forms of insurance; liability only (minimum required) and all-risk. I have the latter, it cost me around € 50 per month.

The Dutch annual road tax is based on vehicle type, fuel type, weight and locale. Diesel cars are generally (much) more expensive and that is also why much fewer Dutch drive diesel cars than in neighboring countries, despite the lower fuel price for diesel. My commercial van costs about € 60 per month in road tax. Passenger gasoline-powered cars will cost you something like 20 - 40 per month but most diesel-powered passenger cars are quickly around € 100 per month.

All new cars must pay two taxes: sales tax / VAT, which is 19% in the Netherlands, and an additional ~38 - 42% tax, which brings the car tax close to about 60%. (Hence a € 20.000 car will cost you € 32.000). This is only during the first registration in the Netherlands, but of course it will influence the second-hand prices, but not as much as you'd expect.

The fuel tax in the Netherlands is divided into several categories; there is a small 2 cent strategic oil supply tax, then a € 0,72 per liter fuel duty and on top of that is a 19% sales tax. Currently for every liter you pay € 1 in taxes.

What do you get for all these taxes? Well, not as much as you'd expect, but the road network in the Netherlands is generally well-maintained, albeit very low standard, especially the non-motorways which all have significant traffic calming. Fortunately motorways are currently under a massive expansion programme.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #1437
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

From what I know, car insurance in the US is much higher than in Europe. I was comparing it with one forumer here (similar age, no points, similar cars) and mine turned out to be more than twice as much. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #1438
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10400

Some states, such as mine, have a property tax for cars. I paid around $400 last year for mine.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #1439
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

When I was still making payments on my 2006 Kia Optima 2.4L and had to have full coverage I was paying approx. $500/6 months. Now I just have a liability around $250/6 months.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1440
madad

Likes (Received): 1

Diesel 1.36-1.37 EUR / L in Brno, Czech Republic

Tags
prices