daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #1521
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

The new Pristina-Hani i Elezit-Skopje road will be a 2X2 motorway with emergency lane, hard shoulders and metallic barriers just like the R7, right??
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #1522
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Yes
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #1523
kostas97

Allright, thanks.

2 more questions;

1. When is the road going to be completed?
2. Are there any other motorways U/C in Kosovo?
If yes, please attach an image (if available-if not, just let me know the U/C roads only).

Thanks
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #1524
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas97 View Post
It was announced to be completed in 2017.

Quote:
Not motorways.

Have you already read the previous posts?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #1525
kostas97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It was announced to be completed in 2017.

Not motorways.

Have you already read the previous posts?
Yes, but i haven't read the newer posts, so i didn't want to miss anything.
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:27 PM   #1526
MG42

Likes (Received): 72

STEAMROLLED

A SPECIAL INVESTIGATION INTO THE DIPLOMACY OF DOING BUSINESS ABROAD.

One of Europe’s poorest countries wanted a road, so U.S. mega-contractor Bechtel sold it a $1.3 billion highway, with the backing of a powerful American ambassador. Funny thing is, the highway is barely being used—and the ambassador is now working for Bechtel.

STORY BY MATTHEW BRUNWASSER
PHOTOGRAPHS BY MATTHEW LUTTON

The article is published in "Foreign policy". Unfortunately I have no right to put links.
MG42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:48 PM   #1527
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/30/...siness-kosovo/

vectom liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:54 PM   #1528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

'barely being used' is such a vague description. It's a new motorway, in a small country that isn't particularly wealthy. I've seen such descriptions before, somehow editors and journalists seem to expect every new motorway to be loaded to capacity within days of opening. There was a similar discussion a while ago about the Sćo Paulo ring road.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

guranflorin liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:54 PM   #1529
MG42

Thank you, MichiH!
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:14 PM   #1530
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
'barely being used' is such a vague description. It's a new motorway, in a small country that isn't particularly wealthy. I've seen such descriptions before, somehow editors and journalists seem to expect every new motorway to be loaded to capacity within days of opening. There was a similar discussion a while ago about the Sćo Paulo ring road.
It's circular logic, in my opinion. Economists from the IMF, World Bank, EBRD always mention Kosovo's sitll substandard road infrastructure as a barrier to increased trade and economic growth.

And when motorways and roads are built to remove those barriers and increase trade, then it's a bad thing because "they're barely used".

Not to say that R7 couldn't have been built for less money, but they're missing the main point of the road anyway (secure and permanent access to the Adriatic).
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 04:15 AM   #1531
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Allright, thanks.

2 more questions;

If yes, please attach an image (if available-if not, just let me know the U/C roads only).

Thanks
There is a planed motorway from Prishtina to Gjilan but the start of construction will take some time.... the government is looking at continuing to further extend remaining stretch of the R7 from Besi to the border with Serbia after R6 is completed. This is a waiting game that is being played by both countries in hope that this will be financed by the EU.
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #1532
kostas97

Quote:
Originally Posted by grykaerugoves View Post
There is a planed motorway from Prishtina to Gjilan but the start of construction will take some time.... the government is looking at continuing to further extend remaining stretch of the R7 from Besi to the border with Serbia after R6 is completed. This is a waiting game that is being played by both countries in hope that this will be financed by the EU.
The R7 extension you mentioned should be constructed......this way not only Kosovo will strengthen its link with Serbia but also Albania, and apart from that, there will be a complete motorway corridor stretching from Durres to Burgas (when the Kalotina motorway is constructed)........Anyway, every new motorway will be good for Kosovo in my opinion.
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1533
MG42

I agree that the route Durrės/Lezhė - Morinė - Pristina - Niš - Sofia - Plovdiv - Burgas can be a viable alternative to Corridor 8, whose completion is currently shrouded in complete uncertainty.
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #1534
kostas97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
I agree that the route Durrės/Lezhė - Morinė - Pristina - Niš - Sofia - Plovdiv - Burgas can be a viable alternative to Corridor 8, whose completion is currently shrouded in complete uncertainty.
Indeed, the creation of this corridor doesn't seem possible, not even in the near future..........
Old February 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #1535
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
But to be suitable, Kosovo has so solve it's traffic insurance problem since the green card is not valid.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #1536
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

A1 in Albania is still incomplete with many unfinished bridges, it does not even stretch anything close to the capital, let alone Durrės. Lots of work needs to be done in Albania to call it a corridor.... Kosovo would also need to upgrade the M9 section to motorway standard although that part is 100kmh and does the job for now. Serbia will only start work from Nis to the border if the EU fund it.
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #1537
Ulpiana

Likes (Received): 2589

Video by Adonis Sejdiu. Road to the Brezovica Ski Center in the Sharr Mountains in the Kosovo.

JMBasquiat, Kumanovari liked this post
Ulpiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #1538
kostas97

Quote:
Originally Posted by grykaerugoves View Post
A1 in Albania is still incomplete with many unfinished bridges, it does not even stretch anything close to the capital, let alone Durrės. Lots of work needs to be done in Albania to call it a corridor.... Kosovo would also need to upgrade the M9 section to motorway standard although that part is 100kmh and does the job for now. Serbia will only start work from Nis to the border if the EU fund it.
Of course Albania has to do a lot of work, not only with its A1 motorway, but with the whole of its motorway network.

Concerning Kosovo, isn't the M9 part partly in motorway standards???
I mean doesn't it feature 2 lanes per direction without emergency lane?

And in conclusion, is that part really 100km long? I thought it was much shorter than that......if it is, its longer than the Vermice-Prizren section (or so do i think) and its non-replacement by a motorway really doesn't make sense...... :/
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #1539
Ulpiana

Likes (Received): 2589

Quote:

Concerning Kosovo, isn't the M9 part partly in motorway standards???
I mean doesn't it feature 2 lanes per direction without emergency lane?
M9 has two carriageways, each of them has two lanes plus an emergency lane, intersections not in the same level, but does not have an access control which is the biggest handicap of this road.

Quote:
And in conclusion, is that part really 100km long? I thought it was much shorter than that......if it is, its longer than the Vermice-Prizren section (or so do i think) and its non-replacement by a motorway really doesn't make sense...... :/
grykaerugoves said 100 kmh, not 100 km.
Ulpiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #1540
kostas97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpiana View Post
M9 has two carriageways, each of them has two lanes plus an emergency lane, intersections not in the same level, but does not have an access control which is the biggest handicap of this road.

grykaerugoves said 100 kmh, not 100 km.

1. Then, i think its relatively easy to control the access to the road and improve it, isn't it???

2. Ohhh, my mistake!!
I'm deeply sorry, guys!!

Tags
albania, kosova, shqiperi