daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2016, 10:48 PM   #1701
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Most dual carriageways in the UK have roundabouts.
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #1702
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grykaerugoves View Post
Most dual carriageways in the UK have roundabouts.
Sure, but 'dual carriageway' is not the same as 'expressway'. Dual carriageway is nothing more than "has a barrier of some form between each direction's traffic flows".
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #1703
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Sure, but 'dual carriageway' is not the same as 'expressway'. Dual carriageway is nothing more than "has a barrier of some form between each direction's traffic flows".
Dual carriageways are pretty much the same as expressways(in most cases).
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #1704
sotonsi

Quote:
Dual carriageways are pretty much the same as expressways
Which is why the Government are proposing that "Our busiest A-Roads will become Expressways" ie that they aren't already?

I'm a native EN:GB speaker, and the two terms are far from synonymous, even if you have a lax definition that allows the occasional at-grade junction on expressways.
Quote:
(in most cases).
A4 Strand

© Oxyman, cc-by-sa.
^
This is a dual carriageway, but is definitely not an expressway, nor would anyone consider it one. A large amount of UK dual carriageway is like this - urban roads with slow speed limits, pedestrians crossing, etc (many have driveways, parking, etc too).

ntom's mention of access control (when trying to justify roads that don't fit michih's criteria to michih) as being 'expressway' rules out ~90% of UK dual carriageway mileage, if not more.

"Most cases" suggest you've not been to the UK and explored it's road network.
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #1705
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

A rural road in western Kosovo located in the territory of the National Park Rugova. Both are part of the Municipality of Pejë.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At0M View Post
Investime ne infrastrukturen e Rugoves, rruga Drelaj-Koshutan (6900m)

ntom, stickedy, AlexisMD, Festin liked this post
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #1706
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2101

That should be secured by nets. I can just see a rock falling on my car if I drive there.
Shenkey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #1707
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

It's not finished yet.
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #1708
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Which is why the Government are proposing that "Our busiest A-Roads will become Expressways" ie that they aren't already?

I'm a native EN:GB speaker, and the two terms are far from synonymous, even if you have a lax definition that allows the occasional at-grade junction on expressways.

A4 Strand

© Oxyman, cc-by-sa.
^
This is a dual carriageway, but is definitely not an expressway, nor would anyone consider it one. A large amount of UK dual carriageway is like this - urban roads with slow speed limits, pedestrians crossing, etc (many have driveways, parking, etc too).

ntom's mention of access control (when trying to justify roads that don't fit michih's criteria to michih) as being 'expressway' rules out ~90% of UK dual carriageway mileage, if not more.

"Most cases" suggest you've not been to the UK and explored it's road network.
You only have to look at the A1 heading towards the Midlands from London... its full of roundabouts and the A1 (A1M) goes all the way to Scotland.
Most dual carriageways run outside urban areas... your logic does not apply. I will not further continue to dispute your argument as this would lead to an off-topic discussion.
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #1709
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Speaking of Rugova canyon: What about opening the border crossing to Montenegro there? Is there any progress? Last information I had was that the Kosovarian parliament didn't agree to a border treaty which would solve the disputed border in that area preventing opening the border there.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #1710
sotonsi

Quote:
You only have to look at the A1 heading towards the Midlands from London... its full of roundabouts
I'm not sure what your point is here. No one is saying that dual carriageways don't have roundabouts.
Quote:
and the A1 (A1M) goes all the way to Scotland.
Indeed it does, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. It seems to undermine the 'full of roundabouts' claim: 5 roundabouts in a ~50 km stretch between Baldock and Brampton is, sure, 'full of roundabouts'; however 5 roundabouts in a ~500 km stretch of dual carriageway between the Greater London boundary (as you are excluding/ignoring the large amount of urban DC in the UK) and Morpeth (a good 80km short of Scotland) certainly isn't.
Quote:
Most dual carriageways run outside urban areas
It's maybe about 50-50, but even so, most rural dual carriageways are not expressways (including the bit of A1 you are talking about.

That rural dual carriageways often have roundabouts, traffic signals, cross-traffic, terrible geometry, driveways, etc are evidence that they are NOT the same thing as expressways - because expressways do not have these things, especially if you use michih's definition, which he uses for inclusion of schemes on his list (which is where this discussion started).
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #1711
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by čarli View Post
Expressways with roundabouts? I don't think so
Well think of it like a "toll station" where you have to slow down.
The N roads are the main non motorway roads, no matter if they are one or two laned for each direaction.

But hopefully they will build an overpass in the near futures since the roundabouts were only a short term solution.
Old October 26th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #1712
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Speaking of Rugova canyon: What about opening the border crossing to Montenegro there? Is there any progress? Last information I had was that the Kosovarian parliament didn't agree to a border treaty which would solve the disputed border in that area preventing opening the border there.
I think the government is mainly concentrating on the motorway leading up to the border with FYROM.
Old October 27th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #1713
stickedy

Concentrating on one motorway should not prevent the government or the parliament from working on other things at all... Especially as this border thing is mainly handled by the parliament and the ministry of foreign affairs.
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #1714
ntom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Concentrating on one motorway should not prevent the government or the parliament from working on other things at all... Especially as this border thing is mainly handled by the parliament and the ministry of foreign affairs.
The border agreement is in the governments hands now. It is broadly disputed and it's not going to be ratified anytime soon. I can't see it being ratified until next year or it may even get postponed until the 2018 general elections.

The border crossing in Çakorr will get opened in time, I don't see any rush for it. IMO the government should concentrate on building the new road from Deçan to Plavë. It is a far better alternative and would shorten the time to Podgorica and the coast through Albania. If they could just get the Montenegrin side to commit .

grykaerugoves liked this post
ntom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #1715
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I thought that they already started with building that road? (at least from Kosovar side)
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #1716
ntom

They have, a segment of 4 km was finished this year. The government decided to stretch the building over a period of 5 years when they started. I'm not aware of any commitments made by the Montenegrin side though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntom View Post
Rruga Deçan - Kozhnjer, segmenti i pare
Gjatesia: 4,057 m
Gjeresia: 7 metra
Kostoja: 1,207,260.22 euro

Pjese e rruges Deçan - Plavë. Rruga deri ne kufi me Malin e Zi eshte planifiku mi pas rreth 20 km edhe me kalu pa asni tunel, me ni kosto totale rreth 50 milion euro. Nuk e shoh qysh munet mu kan e perdorshme gjate tan vitit ni rruge qe ngjitet 2100 metra mbi nivelin e detit. Ni tunel 4-5 km menoj qe eshte i patejkalueshem. Ta shohim sa pare pi ndajne ne buxhetin e vitit 2017 per vazhdim te kesaj rruge.

Old October 28th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #1717
stickedy

That is the big problem in this region, the countries are not really working together... It's a shame.

I can understand the Montenegrin side since they have more urgent projects and I understand Kosovo because they want a better connection to Northeast Albania (and it would also serve Albanians living near Bajram Curri). However, building an expensive road to the border when there is nothing on the other side doesn't make sense at all...

Perhaps it would make sense to improve the road from Peja to Rozaje (e.g. 2nd lane up the hill for trucks) until there is some sort of agreement with Montenegro on this part.
Old October 28th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #1718
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntom View Post
They have, a segment of 4 km was finished this year. The government decided to stretch the building over a period of 5 years when they started. I'm not aware of any commitments made by the Montenegrin side though.
what languages are on the sign, ? ,
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #1719
ntom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
what languages are on the sign, ? ,
I don't get which sign are you asking about, but if it is about the text beside the coat of arms it's albanian, serbian and english.
Old October 28th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #1720
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

ok thanks , i supposed so
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
albania, kosova, shqiperi