daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Latin American & Caribbean Forums > SSC México > Regiones de México y Resto del Mundo > Resto del Mundo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #81
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 142

Sí, gracias Rey. Yo investigaré a ver si encuentro algo de información más.
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #82
Lordloya

Likes (Received): 769

wooow.. nunca me imagine que una nacion que estubiera al otro lado del pacifico tubiera ciertos rasgos caracteristicos con mexico.. es simplemente sorprendete-

espero que nuestro amigo filipino siga aportando mas infirmacion y los concedores mexicanos acerce dl tema lo hagan del mismo modo

genial y saludos.....
Lordloya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #83
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post

image hosted on flickr
I encircled the most important parts.. Rodeé las partes importantes
esagerato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #84
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

'When Mexico ruled the Philippines'

X-P's comment first:

This is a fascinating bit of Philippine history they don't teach in school. I've heard even the word 'tiangge' is Mexican in origin. Some Spanish colonial period churches, like the one in Morong, Rizal, have features of Mexican baroque. There could be more Mexican in us than we think.

This commentary from F.:

There is a small Filipino-Mexican common words book which I think was written by Leon Ma. Guerero.

The city of Merida on the gulf coast was the other end of the Manila-Acapulco trail. There are traces of Philippine culture in this city, probably much more than in Acapulco. They have ropa china which is like the blouse our lolas used to wear. Then they have certain cultural practices that come from the Philippines. Also some of their food is similar to ours. They are Mayas not Aztecs. In the countryside they live pretty much in the same way they did centuries ago.

Vera Cruz might also have traces of Filipinos since it was a port city in the gulf.

In Mexico City there is a church or chapel of Manila still standing. It's where missionaries bound for the Philippines stayed.

Tiangge is also a Mexican word.

There are many things about Mexicans that make us so much alike. Many times, when I was living in the Mexican heartland, I would blurt out Filipino phrases thinking I was among my own but then again it may have been the peyote or the tequila talking.

F.

October 1, 2004

Perryscope
By Perry Diaz

Philippine history books have rarely mentioned our colonial relations with Mexico. Nueva Espana, as Mexico was named then, was seen as another colony of Spain. True. Both colonies were "discovered" in 1521 by Spanish conquistadors. Ferdinand Magellan -- who "discovered" the Philippines -- was killed in the island of Mactan by the local chieftain Lapu-Lapu. In 1542, the Spanish explorer Ruy Lopez de Villalobos named the archipelago Las Islas Filipinas after Philip II, the future king of Spain. However, Spain wasn't too enthused in colonizing the far-flung archipelago. Villalobos did not stay too long and left. He probably was too scared to stay and get killed by Lapu-Lapu or the other natives.

Things were different in the "New World." Hernan Cortez and his Spanish armada conquered the Aztec empire and did not waste any time colonizing it. They brought with them the "white man's disease" which killed almost all of the natives. Thousands of Spaniards were encouraged to settle in Mexico with
promises of land and wealth. In 1565, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, a Spaniard turned Mexican functionary, led an expedition to Filipinas to subjugate the natives. He succeeded. At first he established his capital in Cebu. However, it was too close to Mactan where Magellan was killed and that made him uneasy.

In 1571, using the Cebu natives, known as Pintados for their tattoos on their bodies, he attacked Maynilad in Luzon, a thriving native settlement frequented by Chinese traders. He captured the settlement, renamed it Manila, and made it the capital of Filipinas. Thus, the colonization of the Philippines started. Legazpi served as the governor-general of the new colony. For 250 years -- from 1565 to 1815 -- Filipinas was ruled by the Viceroy of Nueva Espana for the Spanish Crown. Those who succeeded Legazpi as governor-general were all Mexicans until 1815 when Spain took direct control of the Philippines.

What made our history unusual was that the Philippine archipelago was claimed by Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese, in the name of the the King of Spain in 1521. However, had Magellan followed the 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas, the Philippine archipelago should have been claimed for the King of Portugal. The treaty which was brokered by the Vatican, had divided the "undiscovered" lands in the world between Spain and Portugal. The Philippines happened to be within Portugal’s territorial boundary.

After Legazpi started colonizing the Philippines, Portugal disputed the claim of the Spanish Crown and threatened to attack the Philippines. However, in 1580, the Spanish king, Philip II, for whom Las Islas Filipinas was named after, became king of Portugal which in essence united the kingdoms of Spain and
Portugal under one authority. Spain became the undisputed master of the world. As a result, Portugal's claim was abandoned.

Due to the long distance between Spain and the Philippines, the Viceroy of Mexico was given a carte blanche authority in governing the Philippines. It took one year to travel from Spain to Manila. There was no direct route -- from Spain to Vera Cruz in Mexico by ship, from Vera Cruz to Acapulco by land, and from Acapulco to Manila by ship.

In 1815, Spain took over direct control of the Philippines when the Mexicans started fighting for independence. The 250 years that Mexico governed the Philippines has given rise to the claim that the Philippines was indeed a colony of Mexico. Why not? All of the governor-generals -- except Legazpi -- during the Mexican administration of the Philippines were born in Mexico. Most of the soldiers, colonists, missionaries, and traders who went to the Philippines were born in Mexico. Mexicans were encouraged to migrate to the Philippines. They were promised land and wealth.

The 250 years under direct Mexican authority has created a strong cultural link between the two colonies of Spain. The Galleon Trade thrived. It was the only trade route linking the Philippines and the other colonies of Spain. Each year, two galleons crossed the vast Pacific Ocean from Manila to Acapulco. It took one year for each galleon to complete a round trip.

With the continuous flow of Mexican colonists to the Philippines, immigration of Filipinos to Mexico also flourished. However, the circumstances were different. The Mexican colonists, with promises of land and wealth, were lured to settle in the Philippines. Filipinos ended up in Mexico for different reasons. The first Filipinos who "settled" in Mexico were four followers of Magat Salamat, the son of Lakandula who was the chieftain of Tondo at that time. These four men were exiled to Mexico in 1588 after revolting against Spain.

In ensuing years, hundreds of Filipino crewmembers -- due to harsh working conditions -- deserted their ships upon arrival in Acapulco. Some of them went as far as Louisiana where they founded a few villages. Others went to California. Those who remained in Mexico intermarried with Mexicans and settled in villages near Acapulco -- Espinalillo, Costa Grande, San Blas, and Puerto Vallarta, to name a few.

The Mexicans brought their native Nahuatl language to the Philippines. The Tagalog word "palenke" originated from the Nahuatl word "palenque." Other Nahuatl words added to the Tagalog vocabulary included avocado, achuete, caimito, nanay, tatay, tocayo, and zapote. They also brought Mexican fruit trees and propagated them in the Philippines. Likewise, the Filipinos brought Mango and other exotic fruits to Mexico.

When I visited the Philippines last year, I noticed that Mexican telenovelas, dubbed in Tagalog, were extremely popular. The Filipinos seem to relate to the present-day Mexican culture as depicted in Mexican "soap operas." Why not? After all, they were like brothers and sisters to Filipinos during the Spanish era.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:15 AM   #85
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

Relaciones Filipinas-Mexico

Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:23 AM   #86
masteryoda
Anarchy Stocking

Likes (Received): 68

Que interesante resulta todo esto, desearía conocer las Filipinas y a su gente, me gustan mucho las culturas asiaticas y la filipina es particularmente interesante por las similutudes que tienen con nosotros.

Recordando lo de la comida, en Michoacán, en la zona de tierra caliente, colindante con guerrero se consume mucho un platillo llamda Morisqueta, que es un plato a base de arroz en un caldillo con carne de puerco, yo lo veia parecido a la comida cubana, pero viendolo bien y nunca lo había pensado hasta ahora bien podría ser un platillo de origen filipino que entro por la zona de Acapulco. Es semejante a la comida que mostraron en posts anteriores.

La Conspiración | &reX ° CHETES ° Dorian_VZ ° MasterGas ° MasterYoda ° Morelia&Bros ° San Ciro
masteryoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #87
Nikkodemo
Oh My Marjo... :(

Likes (Received): 6318

Encuentro artístico en Acapulco

El Festival de la Nao, en busca de la raíz oriental

Valorar la presencia de la llamada cuarta raíz, la oriental, que junto con la indígena, la española y la africana da identidad a los mexicanos, es el espíritu del Festival de la Nao que llega a su segunda edición con un vasto programa artístico y cultural.

23-Octubre-08

Valorar la presencia de la llamada cuarta raíz, la oriental, que junto con la indígena, la española y la africana da identidad a los mexicanos, es el espíritu del Festival de la Nao que llega a su segunda edición con un vasto programa artístico y cultural.

En un escenario de sol y playa como el puerto de Acapulco, 60 artistas de Corea del Sur, Corea del Norte, Japón, China, Filipinas, Indonesia y Cuba —país invitado— ofrecerán del 1 al 15 de noviembre un mosaico cultural conformado por actividades totalmente gratuitas para los espectadores, anunció Fabiola Vega Galeana, Secretaria de Desarrollo Social, del Ayuntamiento de Acapulco.

“Nosotros también tenemos cultura, tenemos historia. Por más de 200 años este puerto fue la puerta de entrada y de contacto con el Oriente, por ese motivo, este festival está dedicado a los países con los que comercializábamos.”

A través del Festival de la Nao se buscar reforzar los vínculos culturales que históricamente mantuvo Acapulco por 250 años con los países asiáticos, gracias a que el navegante español Andrés de Urdaneta se aventuró, hace más de medio siglo, a navegar y descubrió la ruta de ida y vuelta a las Filipinas, explicó Víctor Hugo Jaso, director del Museo del Fuerte de San Diego

“Dicho sea de paso, Filipinas se creó gracias a esta ruta comercial, fue tal la influencia de la Nueva España que los habitantes de esa nación veneran a la virgen de Guadalupe y tienen muchas coincidencias culturales con México”, precisó.

Cuba como país invitado especial, mostrará parte de su cultura y celebrará varios aniversarios, entre otros, los 50 años de la Revolución.

El Festival de la Nao que es también sede del Festival Internacional Cervantino, contará con un presupuesto de 8 millones de pesos, de los cuales el gobierno municipal autorizó 2 millones y el resto fue cubierto por los gobiernos estatal y federal.

México. Leticia Sánchez

Fuente: Diario Milenio.

Twitter Oficial de SSC Tabasco: @SSC_Tabasco

Twitter? ¡Sígueme!/Follow me!: @Nikkodemo
/// My Instagram: nikkodemoarcos

Muy Pronto: The SkyscraperCity Nikkodemo Tour 2014: DF y Toluca.
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #88
amigo32
Proud kana dyan

Likes (Received): 1440

Hola Mexico Sorry, I could only understand a few Spanish words
un habrazo desde Filpinas

Video caching helps me save bandwidth
VoIP server is now up and running***!
My computer retail store opening soon!
amigo32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #89
Mercato
Sword of Gideon

Likes (Received): 629

Hola a todos! que tal? I love Mexico. me encanta Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo32 View Post
Hola Mexico Sorry, I could only understand a few Spanish words
un habrazo desde Filpinas
y tu tambien aqui? Que bueno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esagerato View Post
Relaciones Filipinas-Mexico

hola amigo, he hecho muchos comentarios aqui. que interesante. cual es su nombre/alias o como te llama en el hilo?
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #90
Berns
Hola

Likes (Received): 1

creo ke en Filipinas estan tratando de restablecer el Espanol como un lenguaje legal. Tambien uvo mucho mestizaje como en Mexico.

Berns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #91
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Hola a todos! que tal? I love Mexico. me encanta Mexico.
y tu tambien aqui? Que bueno!

hola amigo, he hecho muchos comentarios aqui. que interesante. cual es su nombre/alias o como te llama en el hilo?
hahaha, no pongo comentarios en youtube. hay muchos "trolls" allí.
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #92
Mercato
Sword of Gideon

Ja! Los imbeciles"trolls" que tiene verga pequena?!? buajajaja. No tengo miedo. ... me lo paso por los cojones... damn, perdon por mis palabras... my amigo de Cancun is teachin me all the bad things & I'm not learning decent stuff at all, man...

Pero por favor, dime la verdad? Eres tu ventada, antonmg o don rafael? por cierto soy mercato alli.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #93
Natsudie
Feck *U*

Likes (Received): 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Ja! Los imbeciles"trolls" que tiene verga pequena?!? buajajaja. No tengo miedo. ... me lo paso por los cojones... damn, perdon por mis palabras... my amigo de Cancun is teachin me all the bad things & I'm not learning decent stuff at all, man...

Pero por favor, dime la verdad? Eres tu ventada, antonmg o don rafael? por cierto soy mercato alli.
jajaja! todos uds. son filipinos?

Bienvenidos sean todos

Pues ultimamente me he fijado que mucha gente mexicana que tiene aspecto oriental de filipinas, con sus ojos razgados y piel morena, es algo muy curioso que aunque no es lo mas común si se puede ver en muchos casos. Específicamente tengo un alumno que tiene sus ojos ligeramente rasgaditos pero su papá si tiene mucho mas aspecto filipino, es parte del mestizaje supongo :P

saludos a todos!
Natsudie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #94
Mercato
Sword of Gideon

muchisimas gracias! si, somos filipinos.

saludos desde sureste asia...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #95
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyapablo View Post
jajaja! todos uds. son filipinos?

Bienvenidos sean todos

Pues ultimamente me he fijado que mucha gente mexicana que tiene aspecto oriental de filipinas, con sus ojos razgados y piel morena, es algo muy curioso que aunque no es lo mas común si se puede ver en muchos casos. Específicamente tengo un alumno que tiene sus ojos ligeramente rasgaditos pero su papá si tiene mucho mas aspecto filipino, es parte del mestizaje supongo :P

saludos a todos!
Gracias por darnos la bienvenida.

Hay un thread sobre ese tema.

Filipinos who look like Mexicans vice versa.

Disclaimer: Don't take the thread seriously.
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #96
Juan Pilgrim

Likes (Received): 95

?Porque en Filipinas no se habla espanol? Mexico y Filipinas, la otra historia. (Embajadas).
Siempre!, May, 2003 by Ma. Cristina Barron Soto

Es curioso escuchar los nombres de filipinos tales como León Araneta, Virgilio Reyes o Gemma Cruz, esto nos lleva a pensar de inmediato que hablan español sobre todo porque aquel país, al igual que México fueron una colonial española. Sin embargo, no es así, en Filipinas en realidad se habla un sinnúmero de lenguas vernáculas que han sobrevivido hasta hoy.

El filipino de origen principalmente tagalo, la lengua de la región de Manila, es un idioma oficial como lo es el inglés. Pero, ¿qué pasó con el español?. Cuando era estudiante de la Maestría en Historia en la Universidad de ...

Want to read the whole article? You can purchase it here. It's quick and easy.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_n7535609
Juan Pilgrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #97
Wowdalajarian
kiss me I'm vegan...

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
El Festival de la Nao, en busca de la raíz oriental

23-Octubre-08

En un escenario de sol y playa como el puerto de Acapulco, 60 artistas de Corea del Sur, Corea del Norte, Japón, China, Filipinas, Indonesia y Cuba —país invitado— ofrecerán del 1 al 15 de noviembre un mosaico cultural conformado por actividades totalmente gratuitas para los espectadores, anunció Fabiola Vega Galeana, Secretaria de Desarrollo Social, del Ayuntamiento de Acapulco.

“Nosotros también tenemos cultura, tenemos historia. Por más de 200 años este puerto fue la puerta de entrada y de contacto con el Oriente, por ese motivo, este festival está dedicado a los países con los que comercializábamos.”

A través del Festival de la Nao se buscar reforzar los vínculos culturales que históricamente mantuvo Acapulco por 250 años con los países asiáticos, gracias a que el navegante español Andrés de Urdaneta se aventuró, hace más de medio siglo, a navegar y descubrió la ruta de ida y vuelta a las Filipinas, explicó Víctor Hugo Jaso, director del Museo del Fuerte de San Diego

“Dicho sea de paso, Filipinas se creó gracias a esta ruta comercial, fue tal la influencia de la Nueva España que los habitantes de esa nación veneran a la virgen de Guadalupe y tienen muchas coincidencias culturales con México”, precisó.

Cuba como país invitado especial, mostrará parte de su cultura y celebrará varios aniversarios, entre otros, los 50 años de la Revolución.

El Festival de la Nao que es también sede del Festival Internacional Cervantino, contará con un presupuesto de 8 millones de pesos, de los cuales el gobierno municipal autorizó 2 millones y el resto fue cubierto por los gobiernos estatal y federal.

México. Leticia Sánchez

Fuente: Diario Milenio.

Que noticia tan espéctacular, más de 250 años de historia no se pueden tirar a la basura. que impresionante es el reconocimiento de Acapulco, que por tantos años fue punto de conexión (intercambio y socialización) entre España y Las Islas Filipinas, me imagino a Acapulco como el puerto más cosmópolita de América, a la espera de lo "made in china". Bueno ya por fín a eliminar el mito de México como nación "meztiza" o como se escriba... México es una Nación Multicultural con Indigenas, Menonitas, Italianos (Cìpilo), Españoles (Los Altos de Jalisco) Chinos (Mexicali), Filipinos (Guerrero) Ingleses (Hidalgo), etc. etc. hasta gringos en Chapala, en fin México no es una nación mestiza es Multicultural. Al corregir mitos historicos este país puede reinvindicas su posición Global... Joer! ya me estoy yendo pa' otro tema, nada... sólo eso Felicitaciones a Acapulco por un Festival tan Justo!
Wowdalajarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #98
Juan Pilgrim

Likes (Received): 95

Mabuhay Mexico! Viva Filipinas!

by Alejandro R. Roces

Very few people realize this. The culture that most resembles our own in the whole world is Mexican culture. Our culture is totally different from all our neighbors. Taipei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, India, Pakistan etc., etc. This explains the extreme popularity of Mexican telenovelas that have been dubbed in Tagalog. If you dub an American movie into Tagalog, it is not convincing because Filipino characters will not react in the same way to the same situation. But Mexicans and Filipinos have the same values –compadre, fiestas and devotion to the saints.

In 1974, we were in charge of the celebration of the 400th anniversary of Philippine-Mexican Friendship. The first Spanish Governor-General of the Philippines was Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, who before going to the Philippines spent half his life in Mexico. Again most people are not aware of the fact that the name of Manila’s main river, El Pasig, is an anagram of Legazpi. It was Juan Salcedo, grandson of Legazpi, who was responsible for the peaceful pacification of the natives in the islands. It was Legazpi that started the galleon trade and the world has yet to recognize the fact that the galleon trade between Mexico and the Philippines was the very first step taken towards what we now call a global village.

Again it is not generally known but our most important vegetables came from Mexico: sugar, tobacco, cacao, camote, chico, avocado, mani, sincamas and many, many others. This is true even of some of our major religious cults. Take the Black Nazarene of Quiapo. Many believe that it is called the Black Nazarene because the wood used in its construction was black. The truth is that the Black Nazarene was a cult in Mexico. The story is that there was a priest in the church who had the devotion of starting his day by kissing the feet of the figure of the crucified Christ in his church. One of the parishioners asked the priest for permission to marry the priest’s sister. But he had a very bad reputation so the priest refused to give his permission. The man, knowing about the priest’s devotion to the crucifix, placed deadly poison on its feet. The next day, the priest kissed the poisoned feet of the crucifix. Nothing happened because the figure in the crucifix absorbed all the poison in its system and turned black.

There is another strong parallel between Mexican and Philippine history. In both countries, the call for independence started with the clergy. In Mexico, it was Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla that launched what has since then been called The Cry of Dolores. In the Philippines, it was three priests Fathers Jose Burgos, Mariano Gomez and Jacinto Zamora. That is why the secret password of the Katipunan was Gomburza and Rizal, who dedicated one of his two novels to the three, went as far as to say that without Gomburza, he would have become a Jesuit.

Mexico and the Philippines will always be on the best of terms. What we need is a cultural program to strengthen our ties.

DE: Excerpts from PhilStar article "Roses and Thorns", April 02, 2002
Juan Pilgrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #99
esagerato
Lipa ♦ Lucena

el autor es alejandro roces? es filipino de ascendencia española, debería haber sido escrito el articulo en el castellano también... hahaha..

Last edited by esagerato; December 1st, 2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:18 AM   #100
amigoendf
Mexico City

Likes (Received): 3843

Falleció Corazón Aquino, la mujer que simbolizó la llegada de la democracia en las Filipinas.

1933 - 2009
Descance en Paz - Rest In Peace

Nuestras condolencias a nuestros hermanos filipinos.