daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Old January 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #61
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
Bromley is posh now?
Southwest, West and North West are generally the posh areas in London. Although that doesn't mean that all places in those areas are nice, obviously.
the only not posh parts of bromley (town) are the north downham etc and maybe parts of hayes... the vast majority is proper rich fair.

West i exaggerated in terms of poshness, hounslow borough is solid labour and hardly posh (chiswick excepted), Ealing (borough) is only really posh in ealing itself, southall, Northolt, acton anyone, and hillingdon come on, have you been to hayes??? inner west is mixed i mean fulham and even chelsea have some gritty estates...

don't forget the heathrow flight path drives down house prices

for me suburban south is by far the poshest part of london, mainly the ones with "surrey" connections!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #62
sweek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
the only not posh parts of bromley (town) are the north downham etc and maybe parts of hayes... the vast majority is proper rich fair.

West i exaggerated in terms of poshness, hounslow borough is solid labour and hardly posh (chiswick excepted), Ealing (borough) is only really posh in ealing itself, southall, Northolt, acton anyone, and hillingdon come on, have you been to hayes??? inner west is mixed i mean fulham and even chelsea have some gritty estates...

don't forget the heathrow flight path drives down house prices

for me suburban south is by far the poshest part of london, mainly the ones with "surrey" connections!
I agree about the South-West being posh. Teddington, Twickenham, Richmond, Wimbledon and the lot. West is mostly posh in the inner West (Hammersmith, Fulham, Chelsea, Chiswick etc.) North West would be places like Hampstead, Highgate, Belsize Park, Swiss Cottage and all.
I think we should probably replace the word posh by 'very nice' as a lot of these areas really aren't too posh and full of tories. That's something that you see mostly in SW-London suburbia / Surrey, as you said.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #63
bigbossman

Quote:
I agree about the South-West being posh. Teddington, Twickenham, Richmond, Wimbledon and the lot. West is mostly posh in the inner West (Hammersmith, Fulham, Chelsea, Chiswick etc.) North West would be places like Hampstead, Highgate, Belsize Park, Swiss Cottage and all.
I think we should probably replace the word posh by 'very nice' as a lot of these areas really aren't too posh and full of tories. That's something that you see mostly in SW-London suburbia / Surrey, as you said.
just gotta say having been born in hammersmith... hammersmith isn't exactly a nice area, and there are quite a few estates in fulham... although the fulham of now is massively different to the solid working class fulham of the 60s..

London's surburbs within the greater london area are amazingly not superb...
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #64
sweek

Quote:
just gotta say having been born in hammersmith... hammersmith isn't exactly a nice area, and there are quite a few estates in fulham... although the fulham of now is massively different to the solid working class fulham of the 60s..

Estates are everywhere in London but that doesn't mean these places aren't nice. I work in Fulham and spend quite a bit of time in Hammersmith and don't think you can really say they're not nice just because there are some estates.

But in the end almost all of London is very diverse and rich and poor are very close to each other. The Docklands are a very good example of that.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #65
somersetchris

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Bromley is posh now?
If Kent is the garden of England. Is Bromley the rockery?
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #66
bigbossman

Quote:
Estates are everywhere in London but that doesn't mean these places aren't nice. I work in Fulham and spend quite a bit of time in Hammersmith and don't think you can really say they're not nice just because there are some estates.

But in the end almost all of London is very diverse and rich and poor are very close to each other. The Docklands are a very good example of that.
What you talking about, you said hammersmith and fulham were posh areas... which they are on the whole not...

if you read my words i said "hammersmith isn't exactly nice",

1. what has that got to do with estates not making an area nice (never mentioned them in regards to hammersmith), and
2. Hammersmith actually ISN'T nice, it may have nice station, a FEW nice streets and a nice-ish shopping area but that's it...
3. Does that make it a bad area...?? you just jumped to your own conclusions

Have you ever been down north end road in fulham or down by wandsworth birdge??

And your telling me fulham is posh, Estates represent for the most part the last bastions of working classness in an area, hence why i mentioned that fulham has quite a few estates... because you said FULHAM IS POSH, which it isn't!!

You basically did as seth brundle in the fly, and merged two points into one... i said HAMMERSMITH wasn't nice... and i said FULHAM had quite a few estates.... never did i say estates = an area not being nice... read what i say!!

Good observation Rich and poor live in close proximity, i would never have guessed that having been born and raised in London and all... don't give me the docklands, it's still a dirt poor area, canary wharf is misleading to those who don't know!

i hope you're not an advocate of gentrification aka social clensing!

Last edited by bigbossman; January 15th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #67
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetchris View Post
If Kent is the garden of England. Is Bromley the rockery?
That woulda worked if Bromley were in kent... (had this discussion in the post codes and admin boundaries thread in the skybar)...

however there is the old saying if kent is the garden of England... then Gllingham is the outside toilet....

It still bemuses me the kent has the reputation as this beautiful county, with rolling hopfield countryside and everyone speaks like the queen.... people need to go there North and east kent should be banished to northern england never to return!
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #68
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 573

Kent went down in its rankings as one of the most beautiful counties because of the CTRL (as it was known then). I've never really considered Kent anymore beautiful than most other counties to be honest; I think Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Cornwall and Derbyshire are the really stunning countries.
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #69
potto

Likes (Received): 1739

Quote:

Hammersmith is definitely a dump considering its potential. A typical 80s fuckup. I will never forgive the council for getting cold feet over that glorious Rogers proposal in the 80s. Sigh
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #70
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
Hammersmith is definitely a dump considering its potential. A typical 80s fuckup. I will never forgive the council for getting cold feet over that glorious Rogers proposal in the 80s. Sigh
anymore info on this?? i was born in the 80s so how it is now, is how i've always really known it
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #71
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
Kent went down in its rankings as one of the most beautiful counties because of the CTRL (as it was known then). I've never really considered Kent anymore beautiful than most other counties to be honest; I think Cumbria, North Yorkshire, Cornwall and Derbyshire are the really stunning countries.
the thames estuary makes middlesbrough look gorgeous... powerstations, factories and cement works etc for miles
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #72
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 573

Middlesborough is in Teeside...
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #73
bigbossman

NO middlesbrough is actually in north yorkshire... cleveland ceased to exist in the late 90s... teeside is a colloquial name...
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #74
sweek

Quote:
What you talking about, you said hammersmith and fulham were posh areas... which they are on the whole not...

if you read my words i said "hammersmith isn't exactly nice",

1. what has that got to do with estates not making an area nice (never mentioned them in regards to hammersmith), and
2. Hammersmith actually ISN'T nice, it may have nice station, a FEW nice streets and a nice-ish shopping area but that's it...
3. Does that make it a bad area...?? you just jumped to your own conclusions

Have you ever been down north end road in fulham or down by wandsworth birdge??

And your telling me fulham is posh, Estates represent for the most part the last bastions of working classness in an area, hence why i mentioned that fulham has quite a few estates... because you said FULHAM IS POSH, which it isn't!!

You basically did as seth brundle in the fly, and merged two points into one... i said HAMMERSMITH wasn't nice... and i said FULHAM had quite a few estates.... never did i say estates = an area not being nice... read what i say!!
Look, I don't know what you're trying to prove here. Every area in London has its good/bad sides. I've lived here long enough to know that. Trendy Islington has very big and a high amount of estates, too. I lived in Tottenham and everyone seemed to think it was a shithole, but it was actually a great area without me or anyone I know having ever had a single problem there. Same with Harringay Green Lanes where I lived for a year, and now with Camden Town.

I actually walk through the southern part of Fulham from Wandsworth Town over Wandsworth Bridge every day to go to work. No the area isn't as posh as the rest of it, but it's just fine. I've also walked through a big part of Hammersmith which still seems very nice to me as wel.
Quote:
Good observation Rich and poor live in close proximity, i would never have guessed that having been born and raised in London and all... don't give me the docklands, it's still a dirt poor area, canary wharf is misleading to those who don't know!

i hope you're not an advocate of gentrification aka social clensing!
Yes all of London is mixed. I'm pretty sure absolutely everyone agrees with that. It's true from Kensington to Tottenham. But that doesn't mean you can't say that the former is a more posh than the latter. I don't know why this makes you so mad? I have friends living in places like Limehouse and I know not all of the Docklands is shiny and new. The stark contrasts is actually one of the most interesting things about London.
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #75
somersetchris

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
That woulda worked if Bromley were in kent... (had this discussion in the post codes and admin boundaries thread in the skybar)...
So is Bromley actually in Surrey? I cannot find a definitive map so that is why I ask.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #76
cle

Likes (Received): 328

Bromley is in Greater London - so are Croydon, Richmond, Romford and Enfield. The home counties distinctions are only used these days in terms of post codes and sorting offices, even though a lot of residents identify with those counties instead of London.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #77
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetchris View Post
So is Bromley actually in Surrey? I cannot find a definitive map so that is why I ask.
nice to see idiots still find ways of showing themselves up
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #78
bigbossman

Last edited by bigbossman; July 4th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #79
sweek

Ah you're one of those people who thinks he can define what being a Londoner is. If people who haven't always lived here are just 'outsiders' observing, then I like to think that you're not a real Londoner. Because one of the great things about this place is its acceptance of other cultures and people from all around the world. It's those different cultures coming together that creates the London we know and makes this place great. Anyway, I really don't understand this English obsession with class, being posh, "keeping it real" as you say etc. etc.

I know which areas I generally like. I don't care whether they're posh, nice, have loads of estates or whatever else you seem to care about.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #80
bigbossman

Last edited by bigbossman; July 4th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.