daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
jpatokal

Likes (Received): 14

OpenFlights.org -- free flight mapping tool

I've recently launched a new little project called OpenFlights, and I figured it's time to let all you aviation nuts on SSC know about it.

Basically, OpenFlights is a website/tool that lets you map your flights around the world, search and filter them in all sorts of interesting ways, calculate statistics automatically, and share your flights and trips with friends and the entire world (if you wish). There are other projects like it out there, but here's what separates it from the competition:
  • OpenFlights has a dynamic map. You can pan, zoom, select, scroll and explore all you like!
  • OpenFlights is user-friendly and efficient. Everything's on the same page!
  • OpenFlights works in realtime. Make any change, and you'll see it right then and there.
  • OpenFlights supports "trips". You can join up any flights together into a trip, which you can then display on its own page and even share with friends.
  • OpenFlights is free, period. No need to pay for "premium" access, although heavy users may be asked to chip to pay for the upkeep.
  • OpenFlights is free in spirit. No lock-in: importing your data and exporting copies for safekeeping is easy.
  • OpenFlights is free software. All our source code and (public) data is licensed under the GNU Affero General Public License and can be downloaded from SourceForge, so you can set up your own copy or just use the bits you like.

While all core features are there, the site is still being actively developed further, so any feedback and suggestions are more than welcome. Features in the immediate pipeline include exporting (CSV/KMZ), tools for quickly entering many flights and lots more graphical razzmatazz.

My OpenFlights: http://openflights.org/user/jpatokal
A sample trip: Earthquakes, Gamblers, Pirates and Oysters
And a screenshot when logged in (click to enlarge):

jpatokal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

It doesn't work neither with my Firefox nor IE When I push "Save flight", there is probably an error with Java script.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #3
jpatokal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
It doesn't work neither with my Firefox nor IE When I push "Save flight", there is probably an error with Java script.
Gar! Sorry, there was a stupid little error preventing new users for entering airlines. This should now be fixed, please try again.

And I forgot to mention one important feature: you can import your flights from FlightMemory, so you don't need to manually re-enter everything. There are also lots of little features that make it much faster to enter your data: a "copy flight" button for duplicating a flight, a "swap flight" button for entering round trips, etc.

Last edited by jpatokal; October 1st, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 249

That's awesome! Well done!!
Works fine for me. I just can't remember dates and airlines.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM   #5
jpatokal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz View Post
That's awesome! Well done!!
Works fine for me. I just can't remember dates and airlines.
That's why you need to use OpenFlights to record them right after each flight
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #6
jpatokal

Just an update -- I've added a little "Analyze" buttons that provides all sorts of useless(?) statistics about your flights. Like the "Top 10" button, you can filter the results to show stats for any airline, any year, any trip, etc. Anybody flown to Mars yet?
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #7
jpatokal

It's been a little quiet in OpenFlightsLand lately, but I recently returned from a month-long trip and today rolled out a new version containing no less than sixteen (16) bug fixes and minor enhancements (details here). Probably the most noticeable is that, when you "Add" a flight now, it automatically flips your last destination to be your next starting point.

Up next on the agenda is a series of larger usability changes:
- The awkward textbox-into-pulldowns for airports and airlines will be replaced with autocomplete boxes.
- Plane types will become database-searchable, so you don't need to key them in yourself.
- When you select anything from a filter, it will be applied automatically, without requiring an "activation" click.
- The option of editing airports/airlines that you have added yourself will be implemented.

The Feature Requests tracker at SourceForge is growing, but please keep punching in your ideas!
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #8
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

too complicated!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #9
jpatokal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
too complicated!
What is too complicated? Seriously, one of my main goals is to make this as easy as possible to use, so I'd really like to know how to improve it.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #10
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 249

I find it pretty easy to use...best flight mapper on the net!
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #11
jpatokal

New editor interface, with autocompletion for airports, airlines and planes, was launched today. Please give it a spin and please report any bugs or other unexpected behavior!
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #12
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Very cool site, but as another user said, too complicated....

I took a lot of flights in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and this site will not support a date before 1999. It also doesnt recognize defunct airlines or decommissioned airports. Another useful feature would be to add a round trip feature. Finally, I cant remember all those dates and airlines, the ought to be a way around that.

Maybe you could make a "lite" version? Otherwise, thanks for providing this, I'll start my profile with all the flights I took in this century. However, I still cant remember all those dates....
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #13
czm3
Automobile lover

there is also no recognition of Delta, the world's biggest airline....

EDIT
ok I got delta to work, but only when I type in DAL. If one types delta, it comes up with a latin american commuter airline...
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #14
jpatokal

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
I took a lot of flights in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and this site will not support a date before 1999.
The calendar only went back to 1999, but you can enter any date you like manually. However, since nobody ever reads the FAQ, I've bumped the calendar up to 40 years (1970).

Quote:
It also doesnt recognize defunct airlines or decommissioned airports.
Can you give some specific examples? The database actually covers >5000 airlines, both alive and long dead. Decommissioned airports are also mostly in there, but you may need to use the ICAO code if the IATA code has been handed over to a new airport. (For example, ATH/LGAV points to Athens-Elefthérios Venizélos, but Athens-Ellinikon is still there as LGAT.) Also, if you click on the little plane icons next to the entry box, you can do manual searches and even add your own.

Quote:
Another useful feature would be to add a round trip feature.
I've thought about this, but it's just not that easy: odds are your flight date, flight number, seat number, plane type etc all change when you fly back. That's why the system automatically "flips" the airports around when you hit "Add", so adding the return is easy.

I do plan to create some type of "power entry" feature, so you can punch in the bare essentials on a single page. This is already possible, in a roundabout way, with the CSV import/export that was just added today.

Quote:
Finally, I cant remember all those dates and airlines, the ought to be a way around that.
You're not the first to complain about this... I'll see what I can do to make airlines optional, but the dates are a bit harder, since the database (and a lot of internal logic) requires a valid date for each flight.

Quote:
ok I got delta to work, but only when I type in DAL. If one types delta, it comes up with a latin american commuter airline...
Ooh, this was a little bug in the new autocomplete algorithm, thanks for spotting it. This should be fixed now: IATA airlines are ranked over non-IATA ones, so Delta (DL) now shows up before Delta Aerotaxi (DEA).
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #15
czm3
Automobile lover

I cannot add the airport on Saba (NL Antillies, just south of SXM, not to be confused with oranjestad). I also cannot find Denver Stapleton (before DIA). Granted, I dont know the old codes. The Eagle county airport in Colorado also doesnt show for me...

I got most of my flights in from the last 10 years, unfortunately, your website cannot help me recall all those flights I took earlier, lol. Since my last post, I cannot get the geopolitical map to show anymore, but the satelite map still works. I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 on OSX. I know I'm complaining left and right, but I really like this website and want to maximize its use. THANK YOU for creating it!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM   #16
jpatokal

So, airlines are optional now -- leave the field blank, and it'll just label it "Unknown".

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
I cannot add the airport on Saba (NL Antillies, just south of SXM, not to be confused with oranjestad). I also cannot find Denver Stapleton (before DIA). Granted, I dont know the old codes. The Eagle county airport in Colorado also doesnt show for me...
- Saba (SAB) airport was missing completely even from the master DAFIF database, it's added now.
- Eagle Country (EGE) was in DAFIF, it's now loaded into OpenFlights as well.
- Denver-Stapleton has been razed to the ground and has neither IATA nor ICAO code. It's added as a "private airport" now, you can find it by searching for "Denver" or "Stapleton".

Quote:
Since my last post, I cannot get the geopolitical map to show anymore, but the satelite map still works. I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 on OSX. I know I'm complaining left and right, but I really like this website and want to maximize its use. THANK YOU for creating it!
The third-party site we use for maps was down, it's back up again now. And please keep the comments, complaints and bug reports coming, that's how the site becomes better!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM   #17
Airboy

Likes (Received): 8

Her you can see my flight memory

http://my.flightmemory.com/airboy/
Airboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #18
jpatokal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Her you can see my flight memory http://my.flightmemory.com/airboy/
Wrong site there sonny

Anyway, OpenFlights news update: I've now added a Basic mode that lets you punch in flights with "no frills" -- just the airports, airline (can be left empty) and the date you flew. The Basic mode also lets you enter up to four flights at the same time. If you're already created an OpenFlights account, log in and click the [Basic] button to try it, and/or tweak the "Flight editor" option under [Settings] to choose it as your default.
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #19
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 31

Here's another bug.

I have entered 5 flights so far, but the list only shows 4. There's no way for me to retrieve / edit the missing flight.

See below...

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #20
jpatokal

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmanhadi View Post
Here's another bug. I have entered 5 flights so far, but the list only shows 4. There's no way for me to retrieve / edit the missing flight.
Oops, I thought I had fixed this bug already -- one of your flights was recorded in the DB with the wrong airline ID. It's fixed now, so please try again, and thanks for the bug report!