daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #341
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Question - Will the spiraling global real estate market affect this building's status?

And, this is wicked, Dubai is starting to look like Coruscant. I wouldn't be surprised if they built some "skyscraper farms" to help grow food in their arid climate. Just a thought - this is history in the making.
storms991 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #342
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Hmmm...last time the Middle East built the world's tallest structure, it took 4000 years for someone to best it
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #343
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5444

This tower is 200 storeys of awesome, any skyscraper fan who says otherwise is just talking baloney cos their city/country/whateva ain't doin it. Enjoy your nimby's losers, Dubai is the one place on Earth where they just go balls to the wall and I tip my hat to them.
Locke no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #344
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Looks like a tower from Star Wars or something. It's definitely Sci-Fi looking, but I like it. And over 200 floors? ... damn...
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #345
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

I'm hoping for what Hollie said a few pages back. (more like 10 the way this thread has been moving) That Nakheel will lift the gag order they put on Imre. Hopefully when he is back from holidays we will get some updates on the Burj's future big brother.

Old October 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #346
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Just deleted a whole load of posts. Watch it or else I'll lock this thread again and give infractions.
malec no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #347
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

According to one of BMHT´s previous posts, we can expect a design release from Kingdom Holdings so called "mile high tower" the biggest competitor of this tower today. I am curious if something will be really released today.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #348
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Mayne warns Dubai set for ‘ecological disaster’

Pritzker Prize winner Thom Mayne has predicted that Dubai will become an “ecological disaster” if development there continues in its current direction.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...00000001841ac5

The article's kind of confusing as he doesn't go into on how the rapid urban development will effect the physical features of the city or ecology.
If anyone here understood the basic principles of sustainable urban design, it would be clear what Mayne is talking about here.

He's pointing out that there's virtually no cooperation or comprehensive planning going on in the light-speed development in this city. What's happening here is developers are obtaining large pieces of real estate, composing grandiose, insular, self-contained master plans for the newest, biggest, shiniest, most expensive whathaveyou, and developing according to those plans with little regard to urban context. In fact, there is no urban context in most of Dubai, save for the older sections. This is why he compares it to Los Angeles. There's an utter lack of density, pedestrianism is virtually impossible, the public transit system is, at best, too little, too late, and the entire place is built to be accessed primarily by car.

Mayne is simply pointing out concerns that many people have voiced on these threads time and time again. And all you fanboys are going to jump down my throat and decry me as "jealous" or whatever but the simple fact is that DUBAI IS UNSUSTAINABLE. This city, and the way it is laid out, is built on antiquated planning principles that have been proven ineffective in American cities for the past half-century. Why do you think traffic and smog is so bad in Los Angeles? The same reasons they will be in Dubai, if they aren't already.

Mayne's best point is this: “It’s a disaster area if all [architects] do is add eco-bling to their buildings instead of dealing with the fundamentals" like transport and energy use.

So enjoy the fanboyism, enjoy your Coruscant fantasy, but maybe you'll enter reality one day and understand why Dubai can't work for much longer, not like this, at least.

*EDIT* @buildmilehightower: This wasn't directed specifically at you, and also, I thank you for posting this article to begin with. Everyone here should take a look at it.

Last edited by unmentioned; October 10th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
unmentioned no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #349
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

Agree with the above but not sure what it has to do with the tower and its development ?

Traffic in Dubai is at gridlock in some parts of the city. But large trucks that would form the endless covoy that would be on the road for this project are already banned during the day ( or peak hour ?). So that it all comes in at night. Hardly a problem where construction runs 24 hours in Dubai. As for getting the people there, this project has links to dubai metro already under construction. Not sure that will be nearly enough for a tower this size, But still.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #350
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
According to one of BMHT´s previous posts, we can expect a design release from Kingdom Holdings so called "mile high tower" the biggest competitor of this tower today. I am curious if something will be really released today.
'Expect' but not 100%.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #351
glassNsteel

Likes (Received): 0

it's beautiful and i hope it gets built......but I fail to see how this design takes wind forces (especiallly vortices) into account. Wind is the governing design factor above 500m.
glassNsteel no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #352
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Hmmm...last time the Middle East built the world's tallest structure, it took 4000 years for someone to best it
Egipt is in Africa, not Middle East...
luci203 no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #353
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

The tower is made up of 4 sub-towers (made up name) with bridges in between all the towers which links them up together. For up to about 650 metres where the structure is pretty much the same, their bird eye view would look like a cross, the cross being the empty space and 4 squares at the corners of the cross being the sub towers. This means there's empty space going through the tower (can be seen externally between the bridges) going in right angle diretions to each other and overlaping each other. I thought there isn't any cental core to this tower in between all 4 towers which allows wind to strike through the structure from all 4 sides and relieve stress.

Someone correct me, I'm only talking from my thoughts.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #354
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
On the first part you are right...
ikops no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #355
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Um..."Middle East" is not a continent; it's a region that resides on more than one continent. Therefore Egypt can be (and is) in both Africa AND the Middle East. There is no definitive definition of the Middle East, but it always includes at least Egypt.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #356
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Middle East is like east asia, northern Europe or west Africa and etc... not a continent

Middle East however overlaps with 3 continents (Africa, Asia and Europe)
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #357
Joelre
Turkish hottie

Likes (Received): 48

How come arabs are THAT rich?! Amazing building and impressive height.

Go Dubai!
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #358
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

A few people are very rich, that's why we see these daring designs. In places like central Europe where wealth distribution is more even by the very design of government, you will never see such an amount of money being freed for skyscrapers. More quantity, less extravagance.
SirAdrian no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #359
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

If people think all these projects can be magically be built and that the guys behind them have infinitely deep pockets then they are living in their own world.
malec no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #360
ALKUN

Likes (Received): 18

I wont be surprised about Dubai.
If it was a different city maybe I would have doubts on this project.
ALKUN no está en línea  

Closed Thread