daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #21
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Massive renders:

malec no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #22
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 10

holy shit, look at that! No words...
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #23
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

That is a definite improvement in design.

With the circular design though, it's going to make the the CS foundation work seem quick.
Capn Jef no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #24
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

In a way I feel kind of sad for the Burj Dubai, at least it will be done much earlier and stands in proper distance to this mammoth.

Al Burj would be a nice building to model, and now the basic shape is finally known through the various renders.
SirAdrian no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #25
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5421

Incredible tower, Coruscant UC... I love it, who's the architect?
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #26
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

Better than the old design, but still lacks the elegance of a WTB. Looks very "Star Wars," but when buildings this size are commonplace, this one won't stand out. It's just too generic. 10 years is a long time, a lot can change. I'll believe it when it's a reality.
jlh630 no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #27
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Would have been neat to have a continual dubai skyline with all these monsters next to each other.
*UofT* no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #28
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

such a tower needs to be a centerpiece and not a part of a cluster. it would look silly when it would stand exactly next to the burj dubai
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #29
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Well we can already see more serious renders and models than the original tower had (save maybe the animated video of the marina featured awhile back). Though it doesn't feel as soaring simply because of the width of the tower being so large, I think it's a nice tapering concept IMO.

Can I keep shaking my head in disbelief and squee now that we have renders of this tower? WOW!
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #30
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Well. What can you say? On the one hand, it's going to be another stunning technical and engineering achievement for mankind. On the other hand, it's a disgusting display of wealth and ego.

I hope the construction teams have good pay and working conditions.

And by the way, I hope this thread doesn't become the usual spamfest, with endless short comments like "wow!", "cool", etc...
I think this tower is cheaper than building a hospital in the center of London

452, 508m, 818m, 1140m,..... it`s a great time to be a skyscraper fan.

Tom_Green está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #31
ALKUN

Likes (Received): 18

woooooow that's incredible !!!!

is this for real???
I love it.
ALKUN no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #32
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
No it won't, you can't even see it from a plane.
That`s because of the window. They always say you can see it from Mt. Everest.

But 1km is too small for that.

Tom_Green está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #33
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

[IMG]http://i35.************/2hycknm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/9tkadx.jpg[/IMG]
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #34
Skyscrapers 2009
NYC Skyscrapers Rule!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

This one just towers over the other skyscrapers! I bet one would have to stack a few of them on top of each other to equal the height!
Skyscrapers 2009 no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #35
anton92

Likes (Received): 1

anton92 no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #36
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Great renders. I think the tower looks really good. The 4 buildings connected by skybridges keeps a design feature of all the old renders. I like this one better though.

soooo ... who will be the big guy and get us into Nakheels secure intranet in a year or two ? Once the BD is completed this will be the new focus and we need info.

Some news articles floating around the net call this Nakheel Tower. Is this going to be the official name ? Need to change the thread title if so.

Old October 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #37
Hueney
Architect

Likes (Received): 80

Amazing
Hueney no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #38
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57902

Well... This is going to be the first thing above 1km to be built by mankind.
That alone is incredibly astounding. Who'd have considered that 10 years ago?
The sheer engineering constructiveness is going to be overwhelming.

I actually hate Dubai in many regards, not for reaching new heights or because of any kinda jealousy - but for being dissipative, polluting, irrational, unsophisticated, philistine, inhuman, swanky and having some darn awful projects undergoing.
(Nobody has to start any kind of discussion on my notion. Thanks.)

But today I've gotta love Dubai for this tower!

(Note the wonky look)

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #39
DrDan
Melburnaholic

Likes (Received): 7

Dubai aims to top its own world's tallest tower
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...145208582.html
October 6, 2008 - 7:24AM

A model of the Nakheel Harbour and Tower project, which will rise more than one kilometre over the Dubai skyline.
Photo: AP

With its world's tallest building nearing completion, Dubai said today it is embarking on an even more ambitious skyscraper: one that will soar more than 1 km into the air.

That's the height of more than 10 American football fields, 13 Airbus A380 "superjumbo" jets or three of New York's Chrysler Buildings stacked end-to-end.

Babel had nothing on this place.

"This is unbelievably groundbreaking design," chief executive Chris O'Donnell said during a briefing at the company's sales centre, not far from the proposed site. "This still takes my breath away."

The tower, which will take more than a decade to complete, will be the centrepiece of a sprawling development state-owned builder Nakheel plans to create in the rapidly growing New Dubai section of the city. Foundation work has already begun, O'Donnell said.

The area is located between two of the city's artificial palm-shaped islands, which Nakheel also built. The project will include a manmade inland harbour and 40 additional towers up to 90 floors high.

About 150 elevators will carry employees and workers to the Nakheel Tower's more than 200 floors, the company said. The building will be composed of four separate towers joined at various levels and centred on an open atrium.

"It does show a lot of confidence in this environment" of worldwide credit problems and a souring global economy, said Marios Maratheftis, Standard Chartered Bank's Dubai-based regional head of research.

As part of government-run conglomerate Dubai World, Nakheel has played a major role in creating modern-day Dubai, a city that has blossomed from a tiny Persian Gulf fishing and pearling village into a major business and tourism hub in a matter of decades.

Besides the growing archipelago of man-made islands for which it is best known, Nakheel is responsible for a number of the city's malls, hotels and hundreds of apartment buildings.

The company said the new project is inspired by Islamic design and draws inspiration from sites such as the Alhambra in Spain and the harbour of Alexandria in Egypt.

"This is nothing like it in Dubai," said Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, Nakheel's chairman.

Perhaps not quite. But Dubai is already home to the world's tallest building, even if it remains unfinished.

That skyscraper, the Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower in Arabic, is being built by Nakheel's chief competitor, Emaar Properties.

Emaar has kept the final height of the silvery steel-and-glass tower a closely guarded secret, saying only that it stood at a "new record height" of 688 metres at the start of last month. It's due to be finished next September.

The final height of Nakheel's proposed tower is likewise a secret, as is the price tag. The company would only say it will be more than 1 km tall.

O'Donnell said he was confident that Nakheel could pay for the project despite the financial troubles roiling the world's economy.

He also brushed aside concerns by some analysts that Dubai's property market is becoming overheated and due for a potentially sharp correction.

"In Dubai, demand outstrips supply," he said. "There might be a slowdown, but there definitely won't be a crash."

AP
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #40
architext

Likes (Received): 0

holy shit....................
architext no está en línea  

Closed Thread