daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #421
leetroy

Likes (Received): 26

the kingdom tower will not be less han 1400m
leetroy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #422
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

really ? and do you have anything to back that up
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #423
ezekiel_
DUGONG BISDAK

Likes (Received): 0

OMG!!.... Dubai is a monster
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #424
cmjohns6

Likes (Received): 7

i agree, i think there should be a new category:
300+ supertall
600+ megatall
900+ maybe gigatall or hypertall
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #425
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohns6 View Post
300+ supertall
600+ megatall
900+ maybe gigatall or hypertall

Perfect just perfect!

I think the time has come now to do it.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #426
TakeMeHigher
Oh bugger

Likes (Received): 98

What about another category?

Dick waving proposal that is never going to be built in the forseeable future
TakeMeHigher no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #427
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Why can't we have this kind of "war" in the Middle East? Wouldn't be so depressing, but rather entertaining!
Not only entertaining, but also educational... If they wanna build a +1000m tower, they will be forced to spend a lot of money (that other developers around the world don't have) on new tehnologies.

Burj Dubai is now the maximum height on construction tehnology, but I don't think is enough for another 200-300m. So they will have to comme-up with all kind of new materials and tehniques to go further.

I'm more sure the reason that Burj Dubai "grow" from 700m to 800m, and the final height was never revealed, because they still searched new tehnologies to increase the height of the tower, not because they wanted to be sure it will remain WTB. (easy, other developer can do a tower 10m taller than BD, after is finished to be WTB). So Not olny that the worl did not know the final height, but I belive also the developers did not know (they where expecting results from the latest research).

luci203 no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #428
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohns6 View Post
300+ supertall
600+ megatall
900+ maybe gigatall or hypertall <- Tera stupid.
What is the point, there are only 2 towers above 900 and may be 10 above 600?

On pure design innovation, the Nakheel Tower wins over Kingdom Tower for me. I guess the real race now will be which one gets build first. I don't believe there will be a majour difference in height. The final winner will be decides with tenths of meters not hundreds.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #429
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10123

above 500m should be new category. there are dozen or so above half kilometre. high.
600m,700m, 800m ect. is way to high atm for new category.
lets keep it metric and go with 500m+.
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #430
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post

TOTALY NUTS
from where ru getting these dimensions to compare kingdom tower and nakheel tower.ur just cutting and pasting with ur own desired dimensions next to other towers to make it look big.all we know about both the towers is that they are >1km tall.

p.s prince waleed has been hit very hard by this ongoing financial turmoil as almost all of his money is tied up in stocks..etc.I would dispute the very likelyhood of kingdom tower being built by al waleed unless the saudi gov has a personal interest in it.
cyborg81 no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #431
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
above 500m should be new category. there are dozen or so above half kilometre. high.
Yep totally agree with this - this is very sensible. The supertall section is getting too big and I think for most of us 300m is now not as exciting as it once was...we would really call it 'tall' rather than 'super-tall'! 500m is a good cut-off point for the new wave of really tall buildings in the world.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #432
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
Or rise the bar for supertalls at 400m.
(only +500m would be only several threads, +400 would rise the number, but not by much)

And split the highrise section below and above 200m.

luci203 no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #433
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

I seem to remember having this same discussion 6 months or so ago. Culwulla is right, 500m+ for megatall and 300m for supertall. The 300m category works best because there is something special about a building that is 1000ft tall. You can't downgrade classics like ESB.
Assa no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #434
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetroy View Post
the kingdom tower will not be less han 1400m
I know your hopes are high but according to many sources including this:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/53398...km-tower?ln=en

It says that 'Architects privately told Arabian Business that the building would be 1,200 metres tall'

This is probaly right, remember when mile high tower was reduced by up to 500 metre? and 1200 metres in height is probaly the highest we'll see of this tower. And maybe not even neccessarily be the tallest in the world if Nakheel is in the good mood. Considering factors such as ground and soil quality of the spot in Jeddah, Nakheel tower is less riskier to be +1200m in height than Kingdom tower.

But one thing that would contradict my words would be the prince himself saying that he's gonna build the 'world's tallest'
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #435
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

In fairness, the Saudis can afford to go as high as they like. I don't think there's that much competition.
malec no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #436
riasbaixas

Likes (Received): 665

+300m, supertall
+500m, megatall
+1000m, crazytall
riasbaixas no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #437
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

buildmilehightower

Unless the prince knows exactly how tall will Nakheel Tower be, that is just a simple statement from his side. Not to mention I do not believe that these two projects will be the only towers above 1km in the next ten years. The Middle East is not the only region in the world to have the appetite to set records for height.

Actually I am going to go one step further and make a prediction of my own, Nakheel Tower is going to be the first build of the two and most likely to be the tallest considering that its current design allows for an extension as to the Kingdom Tower design which still looks a bit shaky. And you can bet that there will be more towers above 1km announced in the next two to five years.

malec
They could probably afford to build a city of 1km towers but this first one does not inspire great hope.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #438
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

I'm actually for a 500+ section. To be honest, i find most current projects below that height to be uninteresting. Maybe a dozen U/C in the 300-400 range are interesting, but the daring designs are most often also the tallest designs from what i can see.

I understand that the real architecture fans are probably exited about almost all structures, regardless of size, but i admit to being too much of a sensationalist in that sense, and i don't think i'm alone with that.

So i'd gladly see an uncluttered Megatall section on this board.
SirAdrian no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #439
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I know your hopes are high but according to many sources including this:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/53398...km-tower?ln=en

It says that 'Architects privately told Arabian Business that the building would be 1,200 metres tall'

This is probaly right, remember when mile high tower was reduced by up to 500 metre? and 1200 metres in height is probaly the highest we'll see of this tower. And maybe not even neccessarily be the tallest in the world if Nakheel is in the good mood. Considering factors such as ground and soil quality of the spot in Jeddah, Nakheel tower is less riskier to be +1200m in height than Kingdom tower.

But one thing that would contradict my words would be the prince himself saying that he's gonna build the 'world's tallest'
i think they where talking about the Nakheel tower being 1200m
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #440
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

I think the Nakheel tower has the potential to go to 1600m by adding more sections if needed or if the global demand increases. I think the kindgdom tower could rise faster however as it s much thinner, so could become the next tallest tower and Dubai may have none for a while
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  

Closed Thread