daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #561
emzeti
::emzeti from MALAYSIA::

Likes (Received): 4

i love it...andi hope i can be there to see and feel it..
thanks for sharing your comments and pics...

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #562
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Behind the scenes: Nakheel's tallest tower plan

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/53631...est-tower-plan
cyborg81 no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #563
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
3 years
l'eau no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #564
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i forgot who said that they might do a redesign, becuase of how many people dont like the design. well it took 5 years to do that ugly design, so i dont think we will see a redesign that will make it any better
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #565
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

I like this tower, but the Mubarak al-Kabir Tower in Kuwait is still my favorite and looks like it has higher occupied office/apartment space.
SpaceScraper no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #566
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

I actually like the current design...
But I'm open to new ones of course.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #567
Bigben838

Likes (Received): 2

Is this tower environmentally friendly? because the 'whole' world is doing its very best to reduce their co2 emmision and I have read that tall building are all but environmentally friendly.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #568
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i just found a article and it talks about Dubai and its projects future

At Cityscape Dubai earlier this month, developers launched some of the most ambitious projects yet in the emirate, including the US$95bn (Dh348.9bn) Jumeira Gardens with three iconic towers by Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill. And Nakheel unveiled the long-awaited Nakheel Harbour & Tower, which has a 1.4km-high building designed by Woods Bagot at its centre. But these projects were conceived before the financial turmoil

then it metions a tower 1.8km, maybe there talking about the kingdom tower ? becuase it metions a 1,700 hectare site, which the kingdom tower is going to be apart of.

The 1,700-hectare area combines nondescript buildings with extraordinary edifices like a giant sphere and a 1.8km structure folded into a kind of three-dimensional rectangle.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...402579782/1005

Last edited by helghast; October 31st, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
helghast no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:06 AM   #569
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

There was an article I read this week (sorry I do not have the link) that Dubai will be getting some new "GREEN" guidelines that all building must met. I would assume that Nakheel Tower will also have to follow the new standards.
Senju no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:32 AM   #570
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
What an awkward question. What do you mean with environmentally friendly?

The biggest environmental challenges, and dangers, of our age (which acount for the destruction of the natural diversity) are overpopulation, deforestation, fragmentation of nature, increasing amount of chemicals in the biosphere (coupled with limited knowledge and understanding of their affects, especially when combined).

Does it help to reverse those trends? Maybe. Personally I think the world needs more ecoducts, effective logistics and communications.
All true, except more ecoducts and effective logistics or communications won't change a thing. What the world needs is nothing short of a different way of life and consumption. Of course we also won't see so many skyscraper being built when the world gets healthier in mind, but hey.
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:15 AM   #571
jezpph

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
The Nakheel Tower

• The Nakheel Tower will be more than a kilometre high

• It will have over 200 floors

• It will have approximately 150 lifts

• The design structure of four separate elements allows for structural rigidity while also allowing the wind to pass freely in the spaces between the skybridges reducing the overall wind load

• Total volume of concrete will be 500,000 cu m

• All of the reinforcing bars laid end to end could stretch from Dubai to New York (1/4 of the way around the world)

• The tower will have 20 km of barrettes – (almost 400 barrettes). Barrettes are a form of pile used to make the foundation. A single foundation barrette has the capacity to support a 50 storey building.

• The building has enough cooling capacity to air-condition over 14,000 modern homes or to service 14 luxury resort hotels each with 2,000 rooms and all the public areas and amenities

• The building is so tall that it experiences five different microclimatic conditions over its height, each with individual design features

• The temperature in the atmosphere at the top of the building can be as much as 10 degrees cooler than the bottom

• Due to the high speed shuttle lifts one may be able to see the sunset twice from the bottom and again from the top of the building

• The goal is to achieve the highest LEED certification we can for a building this size

• There will be approximately 10,000 car parking spaces in Nakheel Tower

• Nakheel Tower and podium combined will be in excess of 2 million sq m

http://www.tradearabia.com/news/REAL_150270.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-1km-high.html

OK, this is a fresh start now that an official statement has been made. The old thread is so full of crap that stinks so badly that I've no choice but to get rid of the entire thing.
Please keep it civil.
Can't wait to visit that after its completion.
jezpph no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:24 AM   #572
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

I think this is the best looking design of any of the planned megatowers.....hands down!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:47 AM   #573
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

I think it is going to be hard to get up close to take pictures of the Ground breaking and construction due to tighter security. Also, there are no hills or other skyscrapers around yet to get a good bird eye view. I do hope someone can get some type of permit to enter to get some good close up shots.
Senju no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM   #574
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senju View Post
I think it is going to be hard to get up close to take pictures of the Ground breaking and construction due to tighter security. Also, there are no hills or other skyscrapers around yet to get a good bird eye view. I do hope someone can get some type of permit to enter to get some good close up shots.
Actually there are a few vantage points around and overall it will be easier to follow then in the case of Burj Dubai. The biggest let off at the moment is the distance from the city proper.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM   #575
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

I'm sure the design will change let's hope it will be 300f+ they have a good amount of time to do this
giovani kun no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM   #576
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

the design could change but I really don't think Nakheel would take it that far and have 300f+ skyscraper.

There's better chance that they'll install horizontal moving elevators.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:38 PM   #577
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

well - a change of subject (or an attempt to)...

I wonder what the core walls are going to look like on this beast... I would expect 4 cores rising at once, but I can only imagine how think these walls are going to be!!!
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM   #578
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
well - a change of subject (or an attempt to)...

I wonder what the core walls are going to look like on this beast... I would expect 4 cores rising at once, but I can only imagine how think these walls are going to be!!!
The building has an outer diameter of 95 meters, so it depends on how hollow the void in the middle will be.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:49 AM   #579
AltinD
The Modecator

Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUBAI GUYS View Post
Nakheel invites contractors to submit plans for Tall Tower in Dubai

Published: 31 October 2008 20:44 GMT Author: Colin Foreman More by this Author Last Updated: 31 October 2008 20:44

Contractors have until 20 November to bid for 1-kilometre-high skyscraper.
Selected companies have been invited to submit proposals by 20 November for a tower at least 1 kilometre high at the AED140bn ($38bn) Nakheel Harbour & Tower development in Dubai.

The companies are the local/Australian Al-Habtoor Leighton, the local/UK Al-Naboodah Laing O'Rourke, South Africa's Murray & Roberts Construction (Middle East), South Korea's Samsung Corporation, Japan's Taisei Corporation, and France's Vinci Construction Grand Projets.

The AED30bn tower will be developed over a period of 10 years. The client plans to shortlist two groups by the end of the year and select one group to provide pre-construction services by early 2009. The pre-construction period is expected to last for at least one year.

Enabling works on the development are being executed by France's Soletanche Bachy. The package is scheduled for completion in October 2010, and work on the tower's superstructure is expected to follow shortly after.

In June, sources close to the project said the tower had been designed to be 1.4km tall. However, Nakheel has only confirmed that it will be more than 1km high. Once finished, it will be taller than the Burj Dubai, which is expected to be about 820 metres high when completed in 2009.

The Tall Tower was originally called the Pinnacle and was to be located on the Palm Jumeirah, before becoming part of the Dubai Waterfront scheme, when it was renamed Al-Burj. The consultancy team for the tower includes UK-based WSP, US-based Leslie E Robertson Associates and Australia's Woods Bagot.

The development will be built alongside the proposed Arabian Canal and next to Ibn Battuta Mall and Jumeirah islands. It will cover an area of 2.7km and will be home to more than 55,000 people (MEED 8:10:08).

"The cost of construction of the tower, canal and other buildings will be AED140bn," Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, chairman of Dubai World and Nakheel told those attending the formal launch of the project on 5 October.

The development will include 250,000 square metres of hotels and hospitality space, and 100,000 sq m of retail space.

Other Nakheel projects have been affected by the global credit crisis. Work on its multi-billion dollar Palm Deira project has been scaled back, and it is now unclear what its development strategy across its $100bn-plus portfolio will be in the coming months.

It is likely that Nakheel, along with other developers in Dubai, will prioritise certain projects. The move to select a contractor for the Tall Tower suggests the scheme is a priority for Nakheel and the Dubai government.

In addition, the costs incurred during the preconstruction period will not be such a large financial burden as actual construction work such as dredging.

By 2011, when work on the tower's superstructure is due to start, the economic crisis may have passed, allowing Nakheel to proceed with work in a more benign financial climate.

http://www.meed.com/news/2008/10/nak..._in_dubai.html

R
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM   #580
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Just imagine trying to put together a bid on something like this. It boggles the mind. What could you use as a reference? Even the Burj Dubai is totally different from this thing.
Basincreek no está en línea  

Closed Thread