daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #601
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

why mention the cn tower spire ?why not the tiepei 101 tower spire ?
the sock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #602
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

not jealous
hellrazor650 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #603
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
The best spire is NO spire. I like it!
I agree!
Lately, I feel that a spire on top of a building is a cheap way to gain height and they are doing it just to make it taller rather than placing the design as a priority. As much as I love supertalls, the priority is design is first and height is second.
Senju no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #604
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

IT is placing the design as a priority. If they put the spire there just for more height, they probably would put spire long as Burj Dubai's on top of it. The spire on this tower is incredibly short (starting its height from the top of the main structure) The building would ook very dull without this spire.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #605
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

does anyone know just how high habitable floors go up in this tower? Or another words, where on the renders the spire/pinnacle begins and floors end?
thanks

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #606
Nr. 2
Paranoid

Likes (Received): 0

The spire is useless decoration like a foxtail on a Manta, the structure itself is beautiful enough!
Nr. 2 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #607
radiant_city
Bisy Backson

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
• Due to the high speed shuttle lifts one may be able to see the sunset twice from the bottom and again from the top of the building

I can feel it now... and the G-forces are killing me. I'm at the top of the building... but my stomach is catching up to me, it's still on the 50th floor....

If anyone can pull this thing off, it's Nakheel... after what they've done in the Gulf with The Palms, I would not put any architectural feat past them. Very interested to follow the developments from here.
radiant_city no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #608
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiant_city View Post
I can feel it now... and the G-forces are killing me. I'm at the top of the building... but my stomach is catching up to me, it's still on the 50th floor....

If anyone can pull this thing off, it's Nakheel... after what they've done in the Gulf with The Palms, I would not put any architectural feat past them. Very interested to follow the developments from here.
G forces depend on your acceleration not on your speed so it won't matter. The quick pressure change might hurt though.
malec no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #609
LeeighIam

Likes (Received): 149

The urban growth n Dubai is astounding...but are they all gonna be filled up? are they building by demands or just pouring money since they have them? I suspect there is an over abundance of supply...
LeeighIam no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #610
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
G forces depend on your acceleration not on your speed so it won't matter. The quick pressure change might hurt though.
The lifts should be pressurised. Even going down from the top of either Burj Al Arab or Emirates Towers, at 7 m/sec is an ear-popping experience.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #611
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

A silly question: why "PREP"?

Pics?
Soroban no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #612
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senju View Post
I agree!
Lately, I feel that a spire on top of a building is a cheap way to gain height and they are doing it just to make it taller rather than placing the design as a priority. As much as I love supertalls, the priority is design is first and height is second.
No. This needs to be taken on aproject-by-project basis. Some buildings are meant to have spires, they don't look right without them. Others, they are indeed just added for height. Two examples: The Pentominium in Dubai. It now has a spire, basically so that it is the tallest residential tower in the world. It would have looked MUCH better had they just extended the old design up. An example from the other end of the spectrum: Heron Tower in London. The spire is very important to the design. It won't be the tallest in the cluster, the spire is there because it makes the building look good as opposed to some vein need from the developers to have the biggest....
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #613
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
No. This needs to be taken on aproject-by-project basis. Some buildings are meant to have spires, they don't look right without them. Others, they are indeed just added for height. Two examples: The Pentominium in Dubai. It now has a spire, basically so that it is the tallest residential tower in the world. It would have looked MUCH better had they just extended the old design up. An example from the other end of the spectrum: Heron Tower in London. The spire is very important to the design. It won't be the tallest in the cluster, the spire is there because it makes the building look good as opposed to some vein need from the developers to have the biggest....
This is what I was thinking! A spire that is "PART" of the design is a good spire. A spire just to be placed on top to make it taller is a bad spire and ruins the whole design of the building. Pentominium is absolutely ugly with that new spire. After looking closely to Nakheel Harbour Tower, I think the spire is part of the design and works with it. So it is a good spire. However, that being said, if they make the spire any taller (just to be taller) it would ruin the current design. I hope they will never do that.
Senju no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #614
JulZ
Happy 2017 SSCPH

Likes (Received): 512

well said Mr NewcastleGuy! in-SPIRE-ing!
JulZ no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #615
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

this tower is soo tall, they could extend the spire by another 20-60m and it would still compliment the design rather than look to gain hieght

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #616
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
this tower is soo tall, they could extend the spire by another 20-60m and it would still compliment the design rather than look to gain hieght
Well thats the point that i want to make. I think the spire is just a teaser, i mean they gonna give us a suprize with a larger spire. If you look good under the final little spire on top. The under part of the tube between skyvieuws is really thick. I think the tower cant reach a height of 1.400m: (according to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Burj ). And the reasen why i think they will do that... is just because of "The Kingdom Tower" competitor that hase a height of 1.200m. "The mile" was scaled down with 400m "Meed" reported that: http://www.meed.com/news/2008/05/mil..._up_short.html

Last edited by Buyckske Ruben; November 8th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #617
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

some amazing stunning pics!!!

Main website Nakheel harbour Tower:

http://www.nakheelharbour.com/#/medi...a_imagegallery

Press-gallery is extremy awsome (very large renders!).
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #618
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

They're not any different than the ones posted here, just blow up and that without anti-aliasing.

Regarding the spire: I don't think it integrates well, it does look "added" to me.
SirAdrian no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #619
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
Main website Nakheel harbour Tower:

http://www.nakheelharbour.com/#/medi...a_imagegallery

Press-gallery is extremy awsome (very large renders!).
you left gap between the sentences and I waited for months for something to load until I found nothing more was to load. But anyway, tower certainly looks shorter than if the width of the structure was shorter.

But 95m in diameter is definately looooong way, unless you're Usain Bolt.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #620
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Location of the Tall Tower...

amazing!

Dubai is becoming more green now.
chinatown no está en línea  

Closed Thread