daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #641
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

DinoVabec no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #642
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrager View Post
The entire top section of the building gives the effect of being a spire with the needle shape simply comprising the apex. Glorious design. I worry about Dubai though. They are hedging their bets that they will become the financial, trade, and tourism hub of the mid east. Once the oil money runs out, which it eventually will, they better hope that they planned right or Dubai will be the most astonishing ghost town in the world.
There is always the chance that Alternative energy is solve before they even run out of oil. The good news is I think they still have the money to complete this project.
Senju no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #643
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Dubai's economy is quite diversified. Only 10% of GDP comes from oil if my facts are correct. Most of their rapid urbanization and development is being funded purely through loans from large banks, many of which were subject to the current financial crisis.

Forget oil, hope that Citigroup/Credit Suisse/ JPMorgan Chase remain steadfast in their ability to withstand the instability coming up ahead.

Let's hope this tower will not be subject to the financial companys' mistakes! What a wonder this one will be.
storms991 no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #644
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

That is not good news. However, doesn't UAE own part of Nakheel? I was assuming the government finally supports a percentage of some of the bigger projects like this one.
Senju no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #645
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
hey guys! so I didn't really get it when the construction should end. can someone tell me that?
lol
if construction will start.but unfortunately we r not sure
l'eau no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #646
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Like no one saw this coming. Of the 4 supertalls in the planning and prep stages, I'm betting at least 3 are delayed or cancelled completely. Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8e762c14-a...nclick_check=1

Dubai moves to bolster trust in property
By Simeon Kerr in Dubai

Published: November 10 2008 02:00 | Last updated: November 10 2008 02:00

The Dubai government formed a high-level committee yesterday to tackle the impact of the financial crisis on the emirate's property market.

Amid signs of a deepening real estate correction, Mohammed Alabbar - chairman of Emaar Properties, the region's biggest developer - said the committee was exploring options to restore confidence in the market.

Real estate agents report a slump in activity and price cuts of up to 40 per cent.

The formation of the committee is the latest measure aimed at protecting the United Arab Emirates from the global credit crunch.

The finance ministry is also pumping Dh70bn ($19bn, €14.9bn, £12.2bn) into the financial system to help shore up banks' balance sheets and allow them to continue lending to local projects and companies.

In a clear signal that Dubai is considering limiting the future supply of property to stem a slide in prices, Mr Alabbar said the government would "revisit our development pipeline to ensure that demand remains robust".

Analysts have long predicted that the government would ensure a soft landing in the event of a real estate correction, which has come more quickly than expected because of the global financial crisis.

Other confidence-boosting measures under consideration include easing financial repayment terms for property buyers and encouraging consolidation in the realestate sector.

Emaar Properties, the main driver behind the property boom in Dubai since foreigners were allowed to buy real estate in 2002, said it was studying more flexibility on mortgage payments to ease terms for some buyers.

The government has blessed a merger between two mortgage providers. Bankers have said they are also looking at consolidation among developers.

Mr Alabbar, who is a senior government official, said he was confident these measures and the resilience of Dubai's economy would help revive the faltering sector, which had seen some developers cut staff.

"The real estate success story of Dubai is now over a decade old and continuing demand will sustain its growth over the long term," he said, pointing to the region's role as a centre for trade, tourism and services.

The rapid rise in Dubai property prices over the past seven years has been replaced by investor unease that is translating into panic selling in some quarters, real estate agents say.
SpaceScraper no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #647
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

This is gonna be quite interesting on the Dubai skyline with Burj Dubai. To me, it seems less exciting than other projects, but I also like how it looks like a pen. The thing I like about Dubai is how they aren't just recycling old ideas and previous designs but creating entirely new and bizarre ideas. Looking forward to the Dubai skyline in about a decade or so.
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #648
Jocky Wilson

Likes (Received): 0

This project is so exciting!

Does anyone know what the current approximate theoretical limit is on the height of tall buildings is? (i.e lift technology limits, load bearing of steel re-enforced concrete pillars, wind, etc...)
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #649
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Rules on those things aren't written in stone.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #650
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

There is no theoritical limit, that's just not possible to say... Cranes can lift everything in very small pieces, only limited by the length of their cable. Constructions can be made so thick as wanted, if you build a massive concrete structure of 500x500 meters i'm sure it can be 5 km high... You just can't say it very easy. But an interesting question it is!
DennisS no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #651
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
There is no theoritical limit, that's just not possible to say... Cranes can lift everything in very small pieces, only limited by the length of their cable. Constructions can be made so thick as wanted, if you build a massive concrete structure of 500x500 meters i'm sure it can be 5 km high... You just can't say it very easy. But an interesting question it is!
You are correct about cranes but not about the structure itself. The problem is as you make the structure "thicker" using your terms you also make the structure heavier if it's heavier it needs to be stronger. Because of this you reach a limit for each material type. This was discussed extensively earlier in this thread. To go above a certain height the building is going to have to be built with exotic materials (carbon fiber or whenever) which will make it cost prohibitive to build.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #652
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

with the concrete used for burj dubai for example, it cannot support building with height of 2km. As super performance concrete + rebar ain't solution for that extreme height.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #653
MelbourneMaverick

Likes (Received): 3

lol everyone is finishing each others sentences. Like one big neeky family.
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #654
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

I guess you're both right, indeed. Structural engineering has never been my strongest point

Lets say that every building that IS strong enough, can also be build. However sometimes that will cost absurd amounts of money and time of course

In case of Nakheel Harbour Tower I think it is a great challange to design a building process to construct this monster in 10 years! Looking forward to watch it
DennisS no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #655
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneMaverick View Post
lol everyone is finishing each others sentences. Like one big neeky family.
no one answers your questions, neeky loner.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #656
MelbourneMaverick

Likes (Received): 3

Yeah thats coming from somebody who has posted almost 2000 times.
Sorry who's the neeky loner.
I think you will find it's you.
And here is a very long neek;

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

every one of those E's is how many times neekier you are than an average neek.

Don't make me come to your house and do a shit in your hat.

wow nakeel tower is amazing, I hope it gets built
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #657
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Guys, calm down please...This is thread about Nakheel Tower...People don't want to read your fights...
DinoVabec no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #658
andisart

Likes (Received): 33

http://www.future-is-now.info/dubai---2.html
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #659
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

The Nakheel Harbour & Tower offers the ultimate symbol of Dubai's evolution as a commercial and cultural capital, according to project designers Woods Bagot.

The global architecture practice believes that the design for the 270 hectare masterplan and more than 1 kilometre-high tower will provide the centrepiece for the future of Dubai's development, altering its skyline forever. As a focus for the city's intermodal transport system, the project will create the most progressive mixed-use development in the world offering both functionality and lifestyle, while evolving the city's infrastructure.

The design has been founded on the influence of Islamic tradition to produce an aspirational display for the region. Described as "Dubai's Capital" by its developers, the project is a dramatic demonstration of tower technology with a design that soars over one kilometre above ground level.

Mark Mitcheson-Low, director in charge of the project and Woods Bagot Middle East Managing Director explains: "The Nakheel Harbour & Tower is a feat of design excellence on all levels and across all disciplines - it is truly a mark of the epoch. The project demonstrates Nakheel's drive to provide a reflection of the future Arabia - a modern, global city of significance rightly assuming its place in the world.

"The design is an example of the human ability to overcome the forces of nature and harness them to create a monument dedicated to past, present and future generations of the Gulf. Nakheel and Woods Bagot have pushed the design envelope with a project that will be central to the development of one of the world's most exciting cities."

The masterplan and tower display all the potent cultural imagery of Dubai in thoroughly modern form. The design represents a powerful symbol of change in the region, and has been developed for the future generations of the UAE who will, ultimately, live, work and play within its confines. Taking its inspiration from the geometric patterns instilled within Middle Eastern architecture, these cultural aspects have been absorbed into the design and synchronised with engineering principles.

From a residential, retail and hospitality element perspective Woods Bagot has endeavoured to explore the Middle East's rich architectural language and express Dubai's cultural vernacular throughout the spaces of the public realm.

The tower itself is an advance in skyscraper design not only in terms of height and stature but in function, as it knits together a blueprint for the mixed-use community of the future. The cylindrical tower is 95m in diameter, but in actuality is four towers encircling an internal void, linked at intervals by ‘sky bridges'. This design mitigates the effects of the wind load, allowing the air to pass freely through the building.

The individual quadrants of the building allow for structural rigidity against the strong winds usually experienced at the higher building levels. Often limiting engineering possibilities beyond 500 metres, the wind will pass through vertical gills, which have been proven in wind tunnel testing to reduce the windload by three-fold. An added benefit of this design is to allow large floor plates at high levels, as the building does not have to taper to counter the wind effect.

The first tower of this kind to reach these heights, the project has been developed through the design intelligence and research of the Woods Bagot design team. Mark Mitcheson-Low explains: "The future-proofing thought process of the design team makes Nakheel Harbour & Tower a model for a sustainable, vertical community. It has the flexibility to adjust and react to the future demands and requirements of its tenants, owners and operators in the way in which they work, live and play. "

At approximately every 25 levels, the sky bridges will bind the building together and delineate the different uses of the building. This provides a structural integrity which, unlike any building before it, affords the tower greatly increased stability and the opportunity to build higher. They also house mechanical, electrical and plumbing services and would provide safe crossing points if one of the towers were disabled due to an emergency.

Each sky bridge will have its own amenities and facilities, acting as gateways to the transport structure. Functioning as communities, the sky bridges will offer people a space where they can still interact and engage with others regardless of the external environment.

The mixed-use building will contain commercial offices, three sections of residential quarters and hotel accommodation with a two-storey observation deck at the top of the tower.

http://www.propertywire.com/news/com...811172082.html
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #660
vfG
Villeurbanne

Likes (Received): 1834

Put some flying cars ... and done ... sometimes i feel like in 22nd century
vfG no está en línea  

Closed Thread