daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #821
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240990

There is a model, rendering to see how "big" this tower will be?
christos-greece no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #822
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

this tower can be seen as compact version of one dubai. One dubai's composed of 3 towers separated out whereas this one is 4 towers compact together.
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #823
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
There is a model, rendering to see how "big" this tower will be?
Are these enough to show the size of this gigantic tower?

Densetsu no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #824
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

article from the UAE section:

Nakheel receives bids for Tall Tower

Published: 12 December 2008 12:48 GMT Author: Colin Foreman More by this Author Last Updated: 12 December 2008 12:48

Three groups submit proposals for 10-year project to build AED30bn landmark skyscraper in Dubai.

Local developer Nakheel has received proposals from three groups for the contract to build the tower at the AED140bn ($38bn) Nakheel Harbour and Tower development in Dubai.

The bidders are a joint venture of the local/Australian Al-Habtoor Leighton, South Africa's Murray & Roberts Contractors (Middle East) and Japan's Takenaka Corporation; the UK's Laing O'Rourke in joint venture with Japan's Taisei Corporation; and South Korea's Samsung Corporation (MEED 18:11:08).

Samsung is also part of a joint venture that is building the Burj Dubai, along with the local/Belgian Bel Hasa Six Construct and the local Arabtec Construction.

The AED30bn Nakheel tower will be developed over 10 years. The client plans to shortlist two groups by the end of the year and select one to provide pre-construction services by early 2009. The pre-construction period is expected to last at least one year. Enabling works on the development, which are scheduled to be completed in October 2010, are being executed by France's Soletanche Bachy. Work on the tower's superstructure is expected to follow shortly after.

In June, sources close to the project said the tower had been designed to be 1.4 kilometres tall. However, Nakheel has only confirmed that it will be more than 1km high. Even so, once finished, it will be taller than the Burj Dubai, which is expected to be about 820 metres high when completed in 2009.

The Nakheel tower was originally called the Pinnacle and was to be located on the Palm Jumeirah, before becoming part of the Dubai Waterfront scheme, when it was renamed Al-Burj. It is now known as the Tall Tower.

The consultancy team for the tower includes UK-based WSP, US-based Leslie E Robertson Associates and Australia's Woods Bagot.

The development will be built alongside the proposed Arabian Canal next to Ibn Battuta Mall and Jumeirah islands.

It will cover an area of 2.7 square kilometres and will be home to more than 55,000 people. The development will also include 250,000 sq m of hotel and hospitality space, and 100,000 sq m of retail space.

The scheme was launched in October 2008 but, given the global economic climate, doubts soon surfaced over whether it would move ahead. Nakheel has already begun to delay work on some of its other projects, such as Palm Deira and Dubai Waterfront, Gateway Towers and Trump International Hotel and Tower.

However, the developer's decision to move ahead with the Tall Tower is the latest sign that some major schemes will proceed.

The Al-Habtoor/Murray & Roberts/Takaneka joint venture was recently awarded the AED4.9bn ($1.3bn) contract to build Concourse 3 at Dubai International airport (MEED 8:12:08).
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #825
Rory990

Likes (Received): 0

You have to admit, this is kinda getting ridiculous now ! ?

ok they have the BD , but this aswell !

i just don't see them once filling all teh BD, then all of this one, and not to mension the million other skyscrapers round there (which look like little buildings now compared to the supertalls there building ! !)

in new york ? yeah, i could actually see them maybe filling this up, but in dubai ? not really. it might try and be the new new york, but it will never be the business capital of the world like new york is, maybe in the future, but not for the foreseeable future.

and also, not alot of people have alot of money to just go buying apartments up in these supertalls anymore. dubai might still have money, but people are holding onto there money now, even rich people. couple of years ago maybe.

i can see this going on hold tbh
Rory990 no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #826
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I was diggin' a little bit...That looks awesome...

http://www.nakheelharbour.com/#/desi...gn_engineering
DinoVabec no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #827
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Outdoing anyone else is the point in Dubai, and till now, with Burj Dubai they are doing great, making a tower that can be a global pride to humanity, but, outdoing your self right afterwards, well its quite stupid. Whats the point of building the tallest building in the world, when an even taller starts before you even finish? I mean, if they don't slow down, this will backfire, people's interest will subside...
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #828
Jhun

Likes (Received): 14

somehow I thought about dubai while I was watching Girls Gone Wild...
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #829
saeed
KING SAEED III

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory990 View Post
You have to admit, this is kinda getting ridiculous now ! ?

and also, not alot of people have alot of money to just go buying apartments up in these supertalls anymore. dubai might still have money, but people are holding onto there money now, even rich people. couple of years ago maybe.

i can see this going on hold tbh
From what it appears, yes, Dubai is very small comparing with NY. But I ask you to drive around Dubai anytime a day and you'll see how busy is this city even though the growth is on crazy speed!
If you try to buy something in BD then good luck....its sold out!!
If you want to compare the situation with this tower, I think there is enough people to fill this building and more. Because dont forgt that Dubai still creating tens of thousands of jobs that will be occupied and people will need places to live. I think in a land mark buildings around the world, the regular market common sense may not apply because you have supriority......I think actually it will be filled before its done!!
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #830
KoolKeatz
█████████

Likes (Received): 102

"Sold out" doesnt mean "filled" in Dubai. The real estate boom is mainly based on speculation.
KoolKeatz no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #831
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

And you think Burj Dubai is about commoners looking for a place to call home?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #832
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

I think that circle is the real diameter, lets think the height is like 10 times the diameter. Almost as i can see in the diagram pic.

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #833
KIS
Keep It Simple!

Likes (Received): 2

WHOA! I just joined Skyscrapercity and had absolutely no idea that there is a tower over a kilometer high planned in Dubai. Unbelievable!
KIS no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #834
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240990

http://www.nakheelharbour.com/#/desi...gn_engineering
Its very interesting site... thanks DinoVabec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densetsu View Post
Are these enough to show the size of this gigantic tower?
Yes are very enough... thanks btw
christos-greece no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #835
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

amazing comparison with the other super talls ,i still can not get my head around the fact how it really dwarfs all the others and how miniture they look.
the sock no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #836
shayan
Prince of Persia

Likes (Received): 34

this design is just wow! probs for dubai, i mean,,, how can you not love this! first comes architecture IMO and than the other bullshit, don't think about the fact that it's in dubai but think that it's in NY and i bet most of you would love it! But bad luck,,, it;s in dubai! Mobarak
sixty years ago, upon the invitation of the Russian Red Cross, Princess Ashraf Pahlavi, twin sister of the Shah of Iran, went to see Stalin in order to demand the retrieval of Soviet invading forces from Iran. The princess entered the Kremlin where she pleaded with great passion for the liberation of Iran, her motherland. Impressed by her courage, Stalin became all smiles. He said loudly to his rather stern entourage: "Now here is a brave and true patriot." Pravda, June 28, 1946.
shayan no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #837
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

OK....first off, the footprint of BD is not smaller than the new tower. Look again. BD has wings on the lower floors that go out further than the circle. When you say footprint I am guessing you mean including the podium floors right?

Second, outdoing the BD's height is not going to be immediate at all. Nakheel says the tower will take ten years to build. If there's any delay whatsoever, it will take longer than that. Ten years during a building boom is anything but immediate.

Another point....since this tower will take ten years minimum to build and this has been said before, any economic slowdown now will more than likely not affect the tower much, especially since the builder is a huge rival of Emaar.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #838
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

Nakheel Harbour Tower will need super high tech elevator...
VRS no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #839
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKeatz View Post
"Sold out" doesnt mean "filled" in Dubai. The real estate boom is mainly based on speculation.
There was not much problem in filling all these buildings in Dubai, so I am sure 1 more can be filled even if it is tall.

[IMG]http://i37.************/2s8okeb.jpg[/IMG]
Dubai_Steve no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #840
Nathan Dawz

Likes (Received): 2432

1 km high is just absurd! It makes you wonder how tall we can possibly build before a building can no longer withstand its own weight. I guess we're a few years off from finding out...
Nathan Dawz no está en línea  

Closed Thread