daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 16th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #1141
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
You guys do realise that the current recession will be long over by the time this project will be completed, right? Also, the more development and completion of infrastructure takes place in Dubai, and the more businesses settle in Dubai, the more attractive yet that Dubai will become. It's not Dubai that you should worry about, but Abu Dhabi, Kuwait City etc... they're the ones playing catchup, and have the greatest chance of failure (whatever that is...). But this recession will only slow things down.
Well said...

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #1142
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
You guys do realise that the current recession will be long over by the time this project will be completed, right? Also, the more development and completion of infrastructure takes place in Dubai, and the more businesses settle in Dubai, the more attractive yet that Dubai will become. It's not Dubai that you should worry about, but Abu Dhabi, Kuwait City etc... they're the ones playing catchup, and have the greatest chance of failure (whatever that is...). But this recession will only slow things down.
As much as I agree about the recession and when the tower will be complete, that's a highly subjective statement. There is no "time" that any recession will be over, it just happens when consumer confidence is back up and a case in point, would be tokyo when they went through a 16 yr real estate market slump. Also, I think Abu Dhabi is playing the ball safely and most importantly...smart. They have projects but not nearly on the scale of quantity as Dubai, so in all actuality, their buildings have a better chance of being filled as opposed to just a speculation market.
I have to disagree with Dubai getting off safely and its Dubai you have most to worry to about, because there are a lot of investors who stand to lose a lot of money. Just because its Dubai, doesn't make it safe...
Joy Machine no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1143
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

1050 m

on emporis

http://www.emporis.com/ge/wm/bu/?id=...edarabemirates
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1144
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Let's not trust Emporis.
Densetsu no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1145
TXSkyWatcher

Wonder why Nakheel has not put this on their own website? I'm not touchy about it at all, just doesn't make sense that you would wait 1 year when things might not be any better than today. While there is a minute precentage of a possibility that the economy could still be in the dumper in 10 years, I very seriously doubt it will be. Recessions typically don't last that long anymore.

BTW, the tower is not cancelled yet, let's not jump to conclusions.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1146
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240718

1050m is awesome final (proposal) height
I noticed something else in that Emporis page "on hold"
They should change that to under construction, .....or not
christos-greece no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1147
Skyscraperologist

Likes (Received): 2

On Hold For 1 Year

Work halts on Nakheel's 1000m-high tower.

Released on 16/01/2009
Work halts on Nakheel's 1000m-high tower

Work has stopped for a year on Dubai’s Nakheel Tower, scheduled to become the world’s tallest when it is completed.

Developer Nakheel said labourers who had been working on the tower had had to be laid off.

“Further work on the foundations of Nakheel Harbour and Tower will commence in 12 months. The foundation works are likely to take approximately three years to complete,” a Nakheel spokesman said in comments published by UAE daily The National.

The delay to the Nakheel Tower project is the latest of many delays to the developer’s flagship projects. Affected projects include the Trump International Hotel and Tower, in New York; and the Frond N villas, Gateway Towers and the Trump Tower on the Palm Jumeirah, off Dubai’s coast.

Nakheel has also pushed back its Waterfront project, a series of man-made islands set to be twice the size of Hong Kong, in Dubai. Work on The Universe, a series of man-made islands that wrap around Nakheel’s The World project, has been restricted to preliminary engineering studies.
The Nakheel Tower will be the centrepiece of a 270-hectare marina development called Nakheel Harbour and Tower near Ibn Battuta Mall and the Arabian Canal in Dubai. With 200 floors, it should soar to more than 1km high and take 10 years to complete in phases.

Meanwhile, the knock-on effects of the turbulence in Dubai’s construction market are being felt in the United States, where Pittsburgh’s largest architectural firm, Burt Hill, has laid off nearly 50 people from its international studio office.

J. Rossi, the chief marketing officer for Burt Hill, told the Pittsburgh Business Times that the layoffs were caused by delays to major projects in Dubai.

“The international studio in the United States was supporting the Dubai office,” she said of the Downtown Pittsburgh office. The cuts represent roughly 5 per cent of the firm’s 1,194 employees.

Burt Hill, which has 14 offices in the United States and internationally, opened its international studio a few years ago to help support the major new projects it was designing mostly in Dubai.

“We may have seen the end of the speculative boom over there,” she told the Pittsburgh Business Times.
Skyscraperologist no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #1148
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
1050m is awesome final (proposal) height
I noticed something else in that Emporis page "on hold"
They should change that to under construction, .....or not
one of 349 sub rules of using this forum: don't trust emporis. (crappy update and sometimes error in info)

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #1149
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

So completion date is now 2021. They've barely started construction and already a year delay. And it won’t be the last one. There are most certainly going to be more hurdles on the way. The logistical, technological, and physical construction of this tower might have been said to be 10 years but when we add all the unforeseen elements of layoffs, economic crisis, engineering problems, supply problems ,funds problems, contracts disputes we are looking of at least 5 to 6 possible years on top of the already set deadline. So completion realistically speaking could be anywhere from 2021 to 2027.

I guess the only comforting fact from all this is that the tower will get build eventually.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #1150
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

If I had a house with internet and TV and lived in Dubai (Food would be nice too), I'd volunteer to help build this tower. lol
Dark Matter no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #1151
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Yes, but would you volunteer to help pay for it?
Zollern no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #1152
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

If I had enough... I'd actually donate to feed kids. lol

But I myself need to be fed at the moment. Oh well. lol But this thread is about this Mammoth that maybe we will one day call a Skyscraper.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #1153
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

reality is back
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1154
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Dude View Post
reality is back
I thought reality always existed. : P
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #1155
TXSkyWatcher

Emporis just plain sucks....nothing good about that site at all for me. I am suspect on the delay, I think it might extend a bit past one year. Since they just now got into a recession in Dubai as far as construction goes, they might take longer to comeback than we do. We'll see I suppose.

AvanGard...I sure hope you are right!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #1156
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240718

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
one of 349 sub rules of using this forum: don't trust emporis. (crappy update and sometimes error in info)
Sad to here that... Emporis is a trust site
christos-greece no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1157
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Its ON HOLD!

Work stops on world's highest tower amid fears of Middle East meltdown
Friday, 16 January 2009
Work on the world's highest tower in Dubai has been halted by the global financial crisis in the starkest sign yet that developers are facing meltdown.

Nakheel, the state owned developer, famous for its palm tree shaped islands, confirmed that it has delayed work on the iconic one kilometere high tower for at least a year.

link: http://www.propertywire.com/news/mid...901162420.html

Last edited by Buyckske Ruben; January 29th, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1158
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

I suggest an administrator to confirm the status, change the title of this thread accordingly and move it out of world development U/C forums
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1159
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Damn crisis...It's ****ed up everything...
DinoVabec no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #1160
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
I thought reality always existed. : P
not in dubai with a megalomaniac leader.

Closed Thread