daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1161
AvanGard
HMS
 
AvanGard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sofia
Posts: 250
Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
I suggest an administrator to confirm the status, change the title of this thread accordingly and move it out of world development U/C forums
Although foundation work has been put on hold for 12 months this doesn't mean site work has been put on hold too. They are not delaying the whole project, just a stage of the tower construction. So changing the status of Nakheel Harbour and Tower topic is still questionable.
AvanGard no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1162
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 5,368
Likes (Received): 3399

We are members of SSC. If one of our members in dubai say that work has stopped we should put the tower on hold. Not before.

Imre will tell us.
__________________
My trips around the World

Tom_Green está en línea ahora  
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #1163
ReiAyanami
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,367
Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
Although foundation work has been put on hold for 12 months this doesn't mean site work has been put on hold too. They are not delaying the whole project, just a stage of the tower construction. So changing the status of Nakheel Harbour and Tower topic is still questionable.
What you say makes no sense. If the tower is on hold, its on hold. As for the SSC members, I suggested for the administrators to confirm the status, so we won't have a troll thread like Chicago Spire in our hands again.
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #1164
AvanGard
HMS
 
AvanGard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sofia
Posts: 250
Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
What you say makes no sense. If the tower is on hold, its on hold. As for the SSC members, I suggested for the administrators to confirm the status, so we won't have a troll thread like Chicago Spire in our hands again.
It probably doesn’t make sense to you. Eyewitness reports from Imre indicate that work on site hasn’t stopped, the car parks are full and in general the area is active. This suggests that construction has not halted completely. A decision to throw the topic back in the sub forum, when changing it to ON HOLD, will be premature.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #1165
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

One of the possibilities could be that those workers there prepared the site for 12 months of peace...

But I hope that I'm wrong...
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1166
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball
 
nezzybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 8,767
Likes (Received): 2844

I'm very curious by some of the posts recently on this thread, do people honestly think that the second the press release was released the workers were all going to climb out of their diggers and evacuate the site immediately. In my mind, I'm sure it must sound insane, but the way I see it there may... just possibly... be a tiny ammount of work to be done to prepare the site for abandonment, it took a good few weeks before the chicago spire site was fully evacuated, I'd imagine there is a hell of a lot of work to be done to make the site safe and well preserved for when work resumes. ...


Though you're probably all right, a press release from the company means a lot less than one persons view from their window.
__________________
"The thing that really annoys right wingers is: facts are left wing"
Graham Linehan
nezzybaby está en línea ahora  
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1167
SilentStrike
Registered User
 
SilentStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 1,756
Likes (Received): 192

stupid crisis, so many projects are in gander cus of it.
SilentStrike no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1168
Storm9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 185
Likes (Received): 15

why this tower is not going to be built any time soon:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7834829.stm
Storm9 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1169
SilentStrike
Registered User
 
SilentStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 1,756
Likes (Received): 192

in the article it says: "Sheikh Mohammed al-Sabah told reporters in Kuwait City that oil-rich Gulf Arab states had postponed or cancelled 60% of development projects. " I hope it's just a prospone and not a cancel.
SilentStrike no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #1170
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 5,368
Likes (Received): 3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm9 View Post
why this tower is not going to be built any time soon:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7834829.stm
The Arab countries should stop investing in Europe or the USA

"The biggest loss was an estimated 40% drop in the value of Arab investments abroad, which had previously totalled around $2.5tn, AFP news agency reports. "

They should invest it in their home countries.

A question: How can you loose money when oil prices fall? You earn less but you don`t loose it.
__________________
My trips around the World

Tom_Green está en línea ahora  
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1171
SilentStrike
Registered User
 
SilentStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 1,756
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
The Arab countries should stop investing in Europe or the USA

"The biggest loss was an estimated 40% drop in the value of Arab investments abroad, which had previously totalled around $2.5tn, AFP news agency reports. "

They should invest it in their home countries.

A question: How can you loose money when oil prices fall? You earn less but you don`t loose it.
They should hold back the selling of oil, that will raise the prize again.
SilentStrike no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #1172
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere
 
Dark Matter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 424
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
They should hold back the selling of oil, that will raise the prize again.
Their customers wouldn't be too happy about that...
Dark Matter no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1173
CrazyAboutCities
Registered User
 
CrazyAboutCities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 8,549
Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
The Arab countries should stop investing in Europe or the USA

"The biggest loss was an estimated 40% drop in the value of Arab investments abroad, which had previously totalled around $2.5tn, AFP news agency reports. "

They should invest it in their home countries.

A question: How can you loose money when oil prices fall? You earn less but you don`t loose it.
I noticed that Arabs spent way too much on projects too. They spent way too much on some projects that no one really need it. I think they should be more careful on what they spend on.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1174
CrazyAboutCities
Registered User
 
CrazyAboutCities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 8,549
Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
Their customers wouldn't be too happy about that...
Yes and no. US government is in process to reduce the oil dependency and develop new fuel resources. We will see big changes with fuel resources next year or two when more electric vehicles releases and improved technologies will not need to use oil much. One day, USA will not need much of oil. Many countries will follow that too. I think oil rich countries should be prepared for that.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1175
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere
 
Dark Matter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 424
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Yes and no. US government is in process to reduce the oil dependency and develop new fuel resources. We will see big changes with fuel resources next year or two when more electric vehicles releases and improved technologies will not need to use oil much. One day, USA will not need much of oil. Many countries will follow that too. I think oil rich countries should be prepared for that.
I know that, but an immediate cut off wouldn't be good for almost anyone.
Dark Matter no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #1176
dachacon
Registered User
 
dachacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
They should hold back the selling of oil, that will raise the prize again.
in the short term yes, but it would hurt them as well. no oil, no income. and countries that depend on their oil, will find another supplier.
dachacon no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #1177
CrazyAboutCities
Registered User
 
CrazyAboutCities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 8,549
Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
I know that, but an immediate cut off wouldn't be good for almost anyone.
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
in the short term yes, but it would hurt them as well. no oil, no income. and countries that depend on their oil, will find another supplier.
I think countries should develop new ways to boost the economy and increase the revenues than depending on oil to survive.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #1178
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I noticed that Arabs spent way too much on projects too. They spent way too much on some projects that no one really need it. I think they should be more careful on what they spend on.
Yes, like investing hundreds of billions in US banks, companies, real estate and treasury bonds. They should definitelly avoid most of those.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #1179
cmj2k2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 450
Likes (Received): 7

I've been seeing this under-construction thread on top a few times, but have never seen any construction pics.

=\
__________________
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
cmj2k2 no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1180
jacobchan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 99
Likes (Received): 4

ON HOLD WITH UNDER CONSTRUCTION
jacobchan no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu