daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1361
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Actually a lot of cities/countries in the world could build a tower over 1km, but they don't want too.

Can you Imagine how many buildings over 1 Km can you build with the money they spent only in this picture?
(battleships, carriers, airplanes, weapons)

Yeah what a waste.

The other cities can`t build it. If you build such a tower in New York you would have just one tower that costs a lot of money. In Dubai you build a big tower and develope an entire city around it. The city around it creates the cash for the developer. That`s what many people don`t understand. It makes economic sence to build such heigh towers in Dubai.

Tom_Green está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1362
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
Yeah what a waste.

The other cities can`t build it. If you build such a tower in New York you would have just one tower that costs a lot of money. In Dubai you build a big tower and develope an entire city around it. The city around it creates the cash for the developer. That`s what many people don`t understand. It makes economic sence to build such heigh towers in Dubai.
Not to mention in New York it won't make a difference... Even if you build a 1 km tower (witch would totally ruin the skyline, but that is another thing) the buildings around would be about the same price as now... as for the apartments around Burj Dubai, without Burh Dubai, it would sell for less than half as now...
luci203 no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1363
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3399

Quote:
Not to mention in New York it won't make a difference... Even if you build a 1 km tower (witch would totally ruin the skyline, but that is another thing) the buildings around would be about the same price as now... as for the apartments around Burj Dubai, without Burh Dubai, it would sell for less than half as now...
That`s the reason why Dubai is the only city in the world that would really build a tower over 1km.

Tom_Green está en línea ahora  
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1364
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

at first they need to fill all the other towers, and thats going to need more than one year. and by what you hear about dubai in the news, wouldnt even be surprised if thats never going to happen... they have built much to much. they just wanted to get attetion and hoped that thats enough to make people move to dubai, well, it could have been succesful, but then came the bloody crisis and people are less willing to spend their money in luxury appartments into a economic unsafe place that is known as a bubble possible to burst.
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1365
luci203

That is the biggest problem, with everything going up in Dubai (somme projects are on hold, but they already started) I don't know if the market can absorb another cluster of several supertalls and dozens of other skyscrapers...
luci203 no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1366
mr impossible

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
That is the biggest problem, with everything going up in Dubai (somme projects are on hold, but they already started) I don't know if the market can absorb another cluster of several supertalls and dozens of other skyscrapers...
It all depends how long will this financial crisis last......

If it lasts 1-2 years, Nakheel tower chances of getting build will go up.

If it lasts 4+ years, no way it's going to get build, most likely canceled.

If it lasts 1-2 years, you're going to see projects like one Dubai, and park avenue tower actually getting built. And towers which were canceled like Anara actually come back and get built also.

Hopefully this financial crisis will not last long and people will start getting jobs and towers in Dubai,Qatar,Kuwait and other cities get build.

ANARA WHAT COULD OF BEEN THE MOST AWESOME BUILDING EVER.
mr impossible no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #1367
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

but i just cant figure out where the miollions of people should come from who are needed to fill all the towers, since you have almost no rights in dubai as a stranger (especially as a not muslim or millionaire), it surelly wont be a preffered home for most people. well but its tax free and stuff, so capitalism could do it, if capitalism isnt going to end soon.
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1368
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Dude View Post
if capitalism isnt going to end soon.

LOL

Lament, but, more 1 year and the economy returns to the normality and the capitalism will be more capitalist.
Soroban no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #1369
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
:1 year and the economy returns to the normality and the capitalism will be more capitalist.
To the normality... yes... but what happend in the last 10 or so years was not normal. I doubt we will see very soon the shameless borrowing, and the mindless spending that we had in the last decade...
luci203 no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1370
Jizzy
Royal Pimp

Likes (Received): 1

on hold?

whats the status of it now? will this be constructed or will it be cancelled because of the credit crunch?

i like the top part of the building, looks futuristic. but i think the colour is abit dull, should be a lightish silverish colour, that would suffice. or perhaps be daring and make glow colours in the dark or something

still, this building is a winner. hope it gets build. no city can match dubai, imho.
Jizzy no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #1371
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

at the moment it is on hold, lets hope they'll restart in 2010
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #1372
mr impossible

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzy View Post
on hold?

whats the status of it now? will this be constructed or will it be cancelled because of the credit crunch?

i like the top part of the building, looks futuristic. but i think the colour is abit dull, should be a lightish silverish colour, that would suffice. or perhaps be daring and make glow colours in the dark or something

still, this building is a winner. hope it gets build. no city can match dubai, imho.
Well it looks dull now because it's not a real picture, trust me if this tower gets build (Probably not) it will look amazing in every aspect.

Hopefully the financial crisis we're in right now goes away in a year or 2.

ANARA WHAT COULD OF BEEN THE MOST AWESOME BUILDING EVER.
mr impossible no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1373
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
at the moment it is on hold, lets hope they'll restart in 2010
thats about the right year they'll start I think...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #1374
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

This project is important for Dubai. It will get build and when it does, the tower will act as gravity. Attracting people and capital. No one is going to let that kind of opportunity slip through their fingers.
The Burj is already having a similar effect.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #1375
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

Stocks markets started a big rush last few days, and I hope it's going to continue.
no_gods no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1376
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

the faster you rise the harder you fall
dachacon no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1377
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
This project is important for Dubai. It will get build and when it does, the tower will act as gravity. Attracting people and capital. No one is going to let that kind of opportunity slip through their fingers.
The Burj is already having a similar effect.
Are you saying Dubai like a big amusement park? And that people are only going to come there, to see the tall buildings, man made islands and lakes.

I personal don't think this buildings going to make or break Dubai. If Dubai is meant to be the greatest city in the world, then it will be that. But if it isn't then it just isn't, people are just going to have to live with that.
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1378
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Are you saying Dubai like a big amusement park? And that people are only going to come there, to see the tall buildings, man made islands and lakes.

I personal don't think this buildings going to make or break Dubai. If Dubai is meant to be the greatest city in the world, then it will be that. But if it isn't then it just isn't, people are just going to have to live with that.
Obviously, you see Dubai as an amusement park because I never said or implied that. Dubai is attractive for so many other reasons beside its skyscrapers. Economical, geopolitical, trading routes, financial. But the skyscrapers are simply becoming the cultural mark of Dubai. They add to that attractiveness. People will want to live and work in or near such marvels. Moreover, if that wasn’t the case in the first place Dubai would probably still be a desert. It is with such projects that Dubai is attracting people. Audacious, imaginative, and record setting.

Do you think that Dubai would have been so well known if there were no palm islands, no Burj al Arab, no Burj Dubai or any other skyscraper or structure? Would it have had the same fame if there were only 10 to 20 storey buildings spread across 50 kilometers, and no manmade islands.

Funny that you think that skyscrapers are not important in the skyscrapercity forum.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1379
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
Obviously, you see Dubai as an amusement park because I never said or implied that. Dubai is attractive for so many other reasons beside its skyscrapers. Economical, geopolitical, trading routes, financial.
Most womens and more than half of mens don't give a #@$& about how tall a building is. Not to mention a lot of people are afraid of living/working in tall buildings.
luci203 no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1380
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Most womens and more than half of mens don't give a #@$& about how tall a building is. Not to mention a lot of people are afraid of living/working in tall buildings.
In many countries, to live/work in tall buildings represents status. The important is what thinks the majority.
Soroban no está en línea  

Closed Thread