daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #1381
Pablo/Alexandre

Likes (Received): 0

OMG Amazing
Pablo/Alexandre no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #1382
Banjalučanin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
thats about the right year they'll start I think...
I sure hope so!
Banjalučanin no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #1383
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
Obviously, you see Dubai as an amusement park because I never said or implied that. Dubai is attractive for so many other reasons beside its skyscrapers. Economical, geopolitical, trading routes, financial. But the skyscrapers are simply becoming the cultural mark of Dubai. They add to that attractiveness. People will want to live and work in or near such marvels. Moreover, if that wasn’t the case in the first place Dubai would probably still be a desert. It is with such projects that Dubai is attracting people. Audacious, imaginative, and record setting.

Do you think that Dubai would have been so well known if there were no palm islands, no Burj al Arab, no Burj Dubai or any other skyscraper or structure? Would it have had the same fame if there were only 10 to 20 storey buildings spread across 50 kilometers, and no manmade islands.

Funny that you think that skyscrapers are not important in the skyscrapercity forum.

Hmmm no I post what I posted because you made it seem as if this building was doing to jump start Dubai Economy. And in the big scheme of thing I don't think skyscraper are that important. I write about them because I enjoy doing so. People were living long before skyscraper and we'll live long after them.
When it all said in done are childerns, childerns, childern will look back and ask. Why did they build building so tall. Like we did when we seen the great pyramids and stone hedge. And I only know about Dubai because people wont shutup about it.
And lastly I don't see Dubai as anything its a city nothing more nothing less. Want me to say I love it I can't do that, want me to say I hate it I can't do that either.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #1384
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Actually a lot of cities/countries in the world could build a tower over 1km, but they don't want too.

Can you Imagine how many buildings over 1 Km can you build with the money they spent only in this picture?
(battleships, carriers, airplanes, weapons)

In this picture we have about 8-10 billion dollars in warships. This tower for comparison would cost about 20 billion, no?
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #1385
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr impossible View Post
It all depends how long will this financial crisis last......

If it lasts 1-2 years, Nakheel tower chances of getting build will go up.

If it lasts 4+ years, no way it's going to get build, most likely canceled.

If it lasts 1-2 years, you're going to see projects like one Dubai, and park avenue tower actually getting built. And towers which were canceled like Anara actually come back and get built also.

Hopefully this financial crisis will not last long and people will start getting jobs and towers in Dubai,Qatar,Kuwait and other cities get build.
Well, I guess that this crisis would last until about 2012-2013, because the volume of malinvestments to be liquidated is very large. This tower will get build anyway, but only around 2025 that we will see it completed. I mean, this monster has more internal space than the central business districts of large cities (like Houston or Seattle).
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #1386
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

I dont the tower but the "small" fleet there costs more like 20 billion
foxmulder_ms no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1387
KaZantiP

Likes (Received): 261

sorry for mz english but they began build it ???
KaZantiP no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #1388
keber

Likes (Received): 1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
In this picture we have about 8-10 billion dollars in warships. This tower for comparison would cost about 20 billion, no?
keber no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1389
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaZantiP View Post
sorry for mz english but they began build it ???
they began on the foundation before getting put on hold, the foundation got as far as building diaphragm walls.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #1390
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Dude View Post
but i just cant figure out where the miollions of people should come from who are needed to fill all the towers, since you have almost no rights in dubai as a stranger (especially as a not muslim or millionaire), it surelly wont be a preffered home for most people. well but its tax free and stuff, so capitalism could do it, if capitalism isnt going to end soon.
+1
l'eau no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1391
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

To all those people saying all those buildings will be empty; maybe you didn't notice but human population is growing and fast! All big cities are expanding, there's always people to fill buildings with.
Betelgeuze no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1392
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

whats weird is they should be building this now...I doubt the markets will bounce back any time soon, probably in the next 5-7 yrs at least, and that would put the completion to at a potential peak in markets. Also material costs are low now too, so for a project of this scale and time consumption, it only makes sense to go full steam ahead.
Joy Machine no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1393
mr impossible

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
whats weird is they should be building this now...I doubt the markets will bounce back any time soon, probably in the next 5-7 yrs at least, and that would put the completion to at a potential peak in markets. Also material costs are low now too, so for a project of this scale and time consumption, it only makes sense to go full steam ahead.
Ummmmmm.....
No........
Lol if they built this tower now in the financial crisis they would have a lot of financial problems......
It's better if we wait it out and hope that the recession will end this year.

Better to be safe then sorry.

ANARA WHAT COULD OF BEEN THE MOST AWESOME BUILDING EVER.
mr impossible no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1394
Joy Machine
George

Not to be rude...
but YES, there are reasons why skyscrapers still get built in these conditions and the main one is the savings of materials cost; most of the cost of the building. Its a strategy investor uses called risk and reward. Prime example right now, LA has two under proposal, one just got voted on. Why? materials are low in price. The developer could suffer for a few years depending on the markets, but when it picks back up, he'll be done when everyone else is starting and reaping all the rewards. And I don't know why people think this thing is going to end within a year. It just started for crying out loud

Last edited by Joy Machine; April 12th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1395
mr impossible

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
Not to be rude...
but YES, there are reasons why skyscrapers still get built in these conditions and the main one is the savings of materials cost; most of the cost of the building. Its a strategy investor uses called risk and reward. Prime example right now, LA has two under proposal, one just got voted on. Why? materials are low in price. The developer could suffer for a few years depending on the markets, but when it picks back up, he'll be done when everyone else is starting and reaping all the rewards. And I don't know why people think this thing is going to end within a year. It just started for crying out loud
Yea but this building is different. Its too massive to be built in this situation we're in, it costs a lot of money. Dubai has to worry about other things than this tower.......

Its your opinion how long this will last. I never said it will end this year. I said HOPEFULLY it will end this year.

ANARA WHAT COULD OF BEEN THE MOST AWESOME BUILDING EVER.
mr impossible no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #1396
Joy Machine
George

What ever happened to nakheels financial situation? That was the only reason I thought this thing stopped because last I heard, seemed like they already had the feet in the grave. And I do recall some stuff about them saying they are speculating the market timing as well. Sadly that post is like balls deep somewhere in this thread or the one in the UAE section and it was before the big Nakheel problems
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1397
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

I think it will be many years, if ever, before anything taller than Burj Dubai gets built.
jhalsey no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #1398
anton92

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
I think it will be many years, if ever, before anything taller than Burj Dubai gets built.
I agree.
anton92 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1399
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
the contenders certaily need at least 10 yrs to build on average, just thnk of the tower in Kuwait which will take 20 yrs to complete.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1400
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

yeah it may completed in 2030 lol.
l'eau no está en línea  

Closed Thread