daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1521
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

Money.

Last edited by Dark Matter; November 21st, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Dark Matter no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1522
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
thanks

I will try to take pics on 11th November and we will see the difference.
I forgot the update

Anyway still nothing happening there.
Imre no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1523
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Not a big suprice though
patrykus no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1524
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

There is at least some significant progress at the dying palm tree on the right. It will soon suffer the same faith as the one on the left side of the gate.
Hightech Pro no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM   #1525
korea2002

Likes (Received): 1269

Quote:
I forgot the update

anyway,When Nakheel company will restart this project? it takes about 1 years for Procrastination. Procrastination's date 80% completed,I know.Restart's period will delay? uhm..
korea2002 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM   #1526
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
There is at least some significant progress at the dying palm tree on the right. It will soon suffer the same faith as the one on the left side of the gate.
Haha i noticed it too

Quote:
anyway,When Nakheel company will restart this project? it takes about 1 years for Procrastination. Procrastination's date 80% completed,I know.Restart's period will delay? uhm..
uhm.. yes it will. It would eventually be restarted in 2010 but the tower from what i know wasn't even peresent at sitiscape so i highly doubt they will restart it soon.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1527
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

WSP Group says conditions "remain very challenging".

4 November, 2009 | By Nick Whitten

Consulting engineer WSP Group today said market conditions “remain very challenging” and have not changed since the firm’s half year results in July.

The firm, which is working on the 310m Shard skyscraper in London, said it was continuing to see a solid performance in public sector activities, particularly in its substantial European operation.

But difficult trading conditions remain in most markets in the private sector.

WSP said that while the wider Middle East is presenting competitive project opportunities, the Dubai market remains subdued.

The ongoing and severe lack of liquidity in Dubai has meant that the resolution of old contracts continues to be extremely slow with limited progress to date.

WSP is the engineer on the stalled 1km Nakheel Tower in Dubai.

A statement to the Stock Market said: “The liquidity issues that are materially impacting receipts from certain of our Middle East clients continue to be felt more widely across our private sector markets.

“However our net bank debt is at expected levels and we remain comfortably within our banking covenants and well financed with a £150 million committed credit line to 2013.

“While our focus remains on managing the challenges presented by the current economic climate, the group’s strategy of diversification across sectors and geographies should ensure we are well positioned to take advantage when markets improve.”

LINK: http://www.cnplus.co.uk/technical/ta...210399.article
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1528
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

So the government has pulled the emergency brake - yesterday's Reuters news from Dubai show that the financial problems are serious! I suspect there's no chance for new Nakheel superprojects like NT for quite a long time

From www.arabianbusiness.com:

Deal sought on Dubai World, Nakheel debts

Dubai will ask creditors of two of its flagship firms for a standstill on debt worth billions of dollars as a first step towards restructuring Dubai World, the conglomerate which spearheaded the emirate's growth.

The government's announcement on Wednesday, which said consultants Deloitte had been appointed to help with the restructuring, sent the cost of insuring Dubai's debt against default soaring and bond prices tumbling.

State-run Dubai World has $59 billion of liabilities, its subsidiary Nakheel said in August, a large proportion of Dubai's total debt of $80 billion.
Analysts expect financial support from Abu Dhabi to continue but Dubai will likely have to abandon its economic model that focused on heavy real estate investment and inflows of foreign capital.
The government said in a statement: "Dubai World intends to ask all providers of financing to Dubai World and Nakheel to 'standstill' and extend maturities until at least 30 May 2010."
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1529
Imre
Dubai

26/November/2009

Nakheel Harbour and Tower

[IMG]http://i50.************/2912wcz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/25ujyu0.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #1530
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hochhaus View Post
So the government has pulled the emergency brake - yesterday's Reuters news from Dubai show that the financial problems are serious! I suspect there's no chance for new Nakheel superprojects like NT for quite a long time
Yes that's right, not a hope.
Thankfully most of the supertalls are not being built by Nakheel or Emaar so projects like the Pentominium are progressing faster than ever.
malec no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #1531
SimFox

Likes (Received): 440

are you trying to say that other developers live in a different economic universe???
SimFox no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1532
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post

are you trying to say that other developers live in a different economic universe???
Other developers didn't build giant islands in the ocean.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #1533
travelbug

Likes (Received): 9

Surely all this mental building has to come to a stop soon? The whole country appears to be on the verge of going under unless Abu Dhabi step in. Even if they do surely they are not going to bank roll these vanity projects no one wants or can afford?
travelbug no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #1534
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Surely all this mental building has to come to a stop soon? The whole country appears to be on the verge of going under unless Abu Dhabi step in. Even if they do surely they are not going to bank roll these vanity projects no one wants or can afford?
I'm surprised that Dubai's big brother has put up with this crap for this long.
meh_cd no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #1535
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Other developers didn't build giant islands in the ocean.
Not only that but Nakheel overstretched themselves by about 20 times what they should have. How much money did they waste on reclaiming palm jebel ali, the waterfront, the world, palm deira, etc? They could have completely finished palm jumeirah by now if they concentrated on that and just some other small stuff. It would be great to see it done, with trump tower and all.
malec no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #1536
travelbug

Likes (Received): 9

It was always a completely economically unstable and unattainable model. How much did they spend building islands in the sea that are covered with low rise, low spec villas? there are only so many people in the world willing to pay $5 million for a holiday villa. That and the fact everyone thought the oil money would cover it.... Dubai never really had any oil money!
travelbug no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #1537
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Before TSHTF late last year I always thought they were spending money they had accumulated in the years beforehand. Once they started announcing bawadi and other really expensive projects I remember thinking "Where is all the money coming from? Surely they have a lot but THIS much?". I never thought that all that had been built on a mountain of debt.
malec no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #1538
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

At the beginning of the financial crisis, we were hoping for a restart in the middle of 2010; it seems now pretty dead.
no_gods no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1539
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

I wouldn't go as far as say it's dead. Certainly we won't see it any time soon. Maybe a couple of years or even a few but the project itself is good. It only needs financing and real demand for it. I don't think they'll abandon it.

And Nakheel will survive, one way or another. They just need to optimize their portfolio. Complete the projects that matter first. Prioritize.

I guess its time Dubai raise taxes.
AvanGard no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1540
Imre
Dubai

30/November/2009

Nakheel Harbour and Tower

finally someone at the site

[IMG]http://i49.************/24y1yfl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/1rc1tk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/33os41k.jpg[/IMG]