daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #61
arac

Likes (Received): 4156

Palacio Legislativo - Montevideo - the Uruguayan parliament

Inaugurated in 1925 it houses the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Details

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pics from flickr
arac no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #62
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Is it just me being an ignorant Brit or are the British Houses of Parliament by far the most iconic / easily recognizable of all government buildings?

To be perfectly honest, despite the fact that there are some great buildings among them, I wouldn't have been able to identify any of the other buildings other than the Capitol in Washington.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #63
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Iconic wise, it pretty much is the most recognisable, with the Big Ben factor and all. But most beautiful?, well that is subjective, I am sure the Hungarians believe their's is the most
Madman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #64
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10793

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Is it just me being an ignorant Brit or are the British Houses of Parliament by far the most iconic / easily recognizable of all government buildings?

To be perfectly honest, despite the fact that there are some great buildings among them, I wouldn't have been able to identify any of the other buildings other than the Capitol in Washington.
It's only natural that you view your own Parliament that way since you see it pictured continuously in your domestic media. Britain's position within the Commonwealth also assures high visibility, but beyond that, it's you being an ignorant Brit.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #65
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's only natural that you view your own Parliament that way since you see it pictured continuously in your domestic media. Britain's position within the Commonwealth also assures high visibility, but beyond that, it's you being an ignorant Brit.
Fair enough.

But can you tell me then which, in your opinion, is the most instantly recognizable of the buildings in this thread, if it isn't the British Houses of Parliament? The Capitol building in Washington is an obvious candidate but I can't think of any other that would be recognized by a great many people outside their own country.

For me, the British Houses of Parliament aren't just recognizable because I am British or because of Britain's former pre-eminent position in the world. Nor is it even wholly because of the numerous cultural associations (eg films like Disney's Peter Pan etc).

What also really sets the British Houses of Parliament apart from so many others, IMO, is their architecture. A great many national parliaments are classical in design. In that sense, many of them don't even stand out significantly from other buildings in their city. But there is no mistaking the parliament buildings in Westminster. Their neo gothic design, the location on the Thames, the iconic Big Ben tower....there's nothing else like it.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #66
FešnorBR

Likes (Received): 8

Brazilian Congress - Brasilia

and just out of curiosity, this used to be the brazilian congress when Rio de Janeiro was the Brazilian capital, before Brasilia was built.

***pics that have not the name of the author on it, were taken from wiki, or from the BR governmental sites.

Last edited by FešnorBR; November 13th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
FešnorBR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #67
welshdragon08

Likes (Received): 1

they all seem so sophisticated and super exspensive.
welshdragon08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #68
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Fair enough.

But can you tell me then which, in your opinion, is the most instantly recognizable of the buildings in this thread, if it isn't the British Houses of Parliament? The Capitol building in Washington is an obvious candidate but I can't think of any other that would be recognized by a great many people outside their own country.

For me, the British Houses of Parliament aren't just recognizable because I am British or because of Britain's former pre-eminent position in the world. Nor is it even wholly because of the numerous cultural associations (eg films like Disney's Peter Pan etc).

What also really sets the British Houses of Parliament apart from so many others, IMO, is their architecture. A great many national parliaments are classical in design. In that sense, many of them don't even stand out significantly from other buildings in their city. But there is no mistaking the parliament buildings in Westminster. Their neo gothic design, the location on the Thames, the iconic Big Ben tower....there's nothing else like it.
Don't get me wrong, the British Houses of Parliament are very famous around the world, and exquisite. It's just important to realize national bias creeps in. For that reason, it's hard for me to answer your questions.

I would say the US Capitol is the most recognized around the world, but Canada is so US focused, that might just be a Canadian viewpoint. They are our staunchest ally and neighbour. To Canadians, the US Capitol Building is an image almost on par with images of our own Parliament Buildings. Beyond the US, I'd recognize Australia's, Brazil's, the UK's, and Russia's. As a Canadian, my own parliament is obviously the most iconic to me since it's been ingrained in our national consciousness like no other.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #69
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Don't get me wrong, the British Houses of Parliament are very famous around the world, and exquisite. It's just important to realize national bias creeps in. For that reason, it's hard for me to answer your questions.

I would say the US Capitol is the most recognized around the world, but Canada is so US focused, that might just be a Canadian viewpoint. They are our staunchest ally and neighbour. To Canadians, the US Capitol Building is an image almost on par with images of our own Parliament Buildings. Beyond the US, I'd recognize Australia's, Brazil's, the UK's, and Russia's. As a Canadian, my own parliament is obviously the most iconic to me since it's been ingrained in our national consciousness like no other.
Agreed with all of that.

It's just that I was amazed by how few of those buildings I recognized.

The Capitol, obviously. The Reichstag too, but only because there was so much publicity surrounding Foster's dome. Other than that, I could have guessed at the Brazilian parliament, for rachitectural reasons. But that's about it.

Ignorant Brit...that's me!
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #70
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

I think labelling yourself ignorant is a bit harsh. But you're the one doing it so, carry on.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #71
arac

Likes (Received): 4156

I think there`s another reason for what you are saying, being the british parliament the "mother of parliaments", and the british, the first modern parliamentary system and a model for most of the countries that adopted this system, It wouldn`t be strange if the building where the British Parliament sessions, is taken as an iconic simbol of parliaments or even the parliamentary system itself
arac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #72
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Agreed with all of that.

It's just that I was amazed by how few of those buildings I recognized.

The Capitol, obviously. The Reichstag too, but only because there was so much publicity surrounding Foster's dome. Other than that, I could have guessed at the Brazilian parliament, for rachitectural reasons. But that's about it.

Ignorant Brit...that's me!
We're all guilty of it. I read the newspaper every day, and have since I was 12 years old, yet I'd be hard pressed to name world leaders beyond my own. I could tell you a great deal about countries around the world, but Prime Minister of Australia? No idea. PM of Britain, I had to strain to remember Blair. I'd have to google to find out your current one. Germany? No. Same goes for Russia, Italy, Japan, China, Mexico, and all the rest. France? Yes, but not for the reasons I should know his name.

People today are fixated on one, at most 2 nations beyond their borders. In the UK, those 2 nations are Australia and the USA. In Canada we fixate on the USA, and more often China. Beyond that, we sometimes here about France, the UK, Mexico, India, Japan, and Russia. Australia's not even on our radar.

Old November 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #73
MikaGe
jicky jicky jicky

Some people say the main building resembles bra, I say it like part of giant green ass covered with opaque legging...
Here is the parliamentary house of Indonesia. The MPR building complex...

image hosted on flickr

Photos credit to [email protected]

Meh enjoy seeing Brutalist stuffs recently
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #74
Arist
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
CityPolice

How to show all the ignorance in one line, amazing.
Just look up a few things about how our government works, you might have a heart attack from what you will learn. I'll give you another hint: House of Representatives...
watch youtube to much do you?
Arist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #75
SeyMan
The Inhospitable Sea

Likes (Received): 59

My 50 cents:

Canadian Parliament is absolutely gorgeous.
On the other extreme, the Slovakian and the Bangladeshi ones are hideous.
I love the Greek Parliament too, despite being very simple.
The Romanian Parliament is impressive but not very nice.
The US Congress is pretty average, I would say.
SeyMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #76
amar11372

Likes (Received): 125

Dhaka, Bangladesh - Jatiyo Sangsad Bhaban (Parliament)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
amar11372 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #77
amar11372

Likes (Received): 125

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
amar11372 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #78
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 8132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
Inside the dome:

source
Awesome!
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #79
seattle92

Likes (Received): 2853

More pictures of the portuguese parlment in Lisbon

seattle92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #80
mbuildings
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

Legislative Palace, Montevideo, Uruguay....

mbuildings no está en línea   Reply With Quote