daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #181
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

There are draft plans to build the Sofia-Vidin line completely new, but not enough money allotted to it. The new Bulgarian government has just taken the first 70 km beyond Vidin into the investment plan for the next period (2014-2020), but that is nowhere near enough to get to Sofia & ok rail conditions.
Romania has little interest in the Danube II Bridge, as it does not serve its strategic interests. It might upgrade the Craiova-Calafat line at some point, but will hardly build the foreseen Calafat-Turnu Severin direct line, which would be necessary to turn this into the fast link from Sofia to Budapest as planned.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #182
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

There are plans to upgrade the Calafat-Craiova section in the 2014-2020 budget period. For now, it's the only sure thing to be upgraded on the southern section of Corridor IV, the rest of the money will be used for the remaining lines on the northern branch.

As for the trains, they are the worst carriages you will find in the country. There are very many of them, left over from the communist period, and they are used on secondary lines for Regional trains, in poorer areas. Hopefully, we will have better carriages to offer for an international route, although trains bound for Bulgaria, for some reason, get some of the worst that both countries have to offer. Just look at the Bucharest-Sofia train
Old July 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #183
danail

Likes (Received): 1

The same thing is in Bulgaria - trains from Sofia to Vidin are horrible, the worst ever and they get the distance for 5 hours.

At the same time, in some Bulgarian medias it was announced that the railway over Danube Bridge II would be part of the biggest intercontinental railway worldwide - from London to Beijing ->
http://www.sundayszaman.com/sunday/n...?newsId=277360

It will be ready in next 10 years if we trust on this information... I think this is just a dream
danail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:03 AM   #184
ILoveEU
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Train in Zlatna
image hosted on flickr
ILoveEU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #185
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Is there something new around Craiova - Calafat project? Would it be built in 2014-2020?

I've heard that freight operators refrain from using the bridge because of the curves(both horizontal and vertical) of Medkovets-Vidin section. Because of this, the section might be given priority. However, in train timetable for 2014 there are freight trains to Golenti and Vidin freight station.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM   #186
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Few pictures taken today from Arad railway station (currently under modernisation thanks to Arad-Curtici railway project).
Let me add some pictures I took of the railway modernisation on the track between Arad and the border Curtici Gr. The halta Sofronea: From Curtici Gr. to Curtici railwaystation:

bogdymol, Robi_damian, KOSTYK, Le Clerk liked this post

Last edited by Theijs; December 1st, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #187
mishu88

Likes (Received): 73

Hey, did you heard about Moldovița Narrow Gauge Railway Christman Schedule?

For 7 Euro/person a ~25 km steam-trip?!
mishu88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM   #188
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

What are your plans for the next EU financial period 2014-2020?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #189
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2590

Are there available cab views from Romania railways. I've searched You Tube and found (watched) only sections Bucharest - Constanca, Bucharest- Ploiesti - Brasov/ Buzau, Bacau - Suceva, Iasi - Pascani and Vama-Iva Mica. I've watched also highly cut Sibiu - Deva. Unfortunately almost all of those films were SD thus do not show much. Searching through You Tube isn't precise and in many cases I've found interesting films through accident but regarding Romania I didn't had many luck or simply such movies doesn't exist.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #190
bogdymol
bogdymod

The only cab view on a railway that I ever did is between Arad and Timisoara Nord railway stations. Be careful with the volume in the first minute of the video (youtube audio-swap chose that music for me).

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #191
Richard_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
The only cab view on a railway that I ever did is between Arad and Timisoara Nord railway stations.
Thanks although I remember that I've watched it already moe or less in the same time when I've watched some of Your road videos
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #192
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
Are there available cab views from Romania railways.
yes, in a Romanian railway forum. I saw Iasi - Ungheni Prut.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #193
Richard_P

Now in Romania apart from CFR Calatori passenger trains are operated also by some private companies. I've searched but without any success and thus I am asking how it is managed. I am assuming that Transport Ministry issued a tender for specific services which were then won by private companies which operate them on their own, with their own tickets and state subsidy. Is it right or it was solved in other way?
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #194
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Yes, secondary lines or "noninteroperable lines" as they are called ( I dunno if it translates well) were auctioned on several attempts; ussually a few lines in the same area were offered as a package in a tender where the winner would have to provide service to ALL the lines in offer, at least twice per day in each direction. Ussually the private company would offer much more frequent service, and still run a profit (which raises several red flags about the ability of CFR Calatori to collect ticket fares ). Still, the bundling of some unprofitable lines in one package meant that they never found a bidder, even after several attempts; in the meanwhile CFR is obligated to either run empty trains or close the line for good

Appart from this, in recent years there have been more and more private trains running on interoperable lines, along with CFR Calatori trains. Bucharest is especially popular for private companies, it seems. We have Regiotrans trains to Brasov, Craiova, Constanta in the summer, even to Curtea de Arges and Campulung, a TFG train to Buzau and we are expecting a new line to Craiova and Motru, by Softronic (yes, the train builder), which will showcase their new train in service . Needeless to say there lines are all stealing profits from the national company, which is unable to fight back with better service
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #195
Richard_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
which raises several red flags about the ability of CFR Calatori to collect ticket fares
I think that ticket collection isn't the most important factor. I think that biggest problem with CFR is fact that they don't have cheap to run trains as six axle electric or diesel loco with two cars isn't especially economic while private companies collected cheap DMU's.

Quote:
Appart from this, in recent years there have been more and more private trains running on interoperable lines, along with CFR Calatori trains.
I assume that those are "open access" trains. I was quite interested when watching movies on You Tube when on Bucharest - Brasov corridor CFR trains were followed by private with similar destinations. But till now I thought that private "won" interregio routes while CFR operated express connections on longer distances.

Quote:
Needeless to say there lines are all stealing profits from the national company, which is unable to fight back with better service
This is common problem with open access trains. I have some doubts weather such competition is vital on traditional lines. The biggest case is in Czech Republic where Ostrava - Prague connection is operated by national and two private companies. Needless to say both private train companies are producing debts while state company doesn't show that directly but also says that competition decreased its incomes. Although in High Speed rail competition may be viable as in Italy Trenitalia and NTV trains compete on large scale and ATM there aren't any signs of financial problems. The same with Thalys / ICE in Belgium so maybe HS is more prone for competition.
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #196
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

I find it somewhat disappointing that the line between Arad and Timisoara is only a single-track line. While not necessarily quite on top considering its importance in the Romanian network, it is certainly not a secondary either. I would imagine that the project from the Austria-Hungarian times would have made at least part of the infrastructure ready to upgrade to double track if necessary, but on video id doesn't look that way. Are there any projects to build a second track?

Cadîr liked this post
eu01 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #197
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
This is common problem with open access trains. I have some doubts weather such competition is vital on traditional lines. The biggest case is in Czech Republic where Ostrava - Prague connection is operated by national and two private companies. Needless to say both private train companies are producing debts while state company doesn't show that directly but also says that competition decreased its incomes. Although in High Speed rail competition may be viable as in Italy Trenitalia and NTV trains compete on large scale and ATM there aren't any signs of financial problems. The same with Thalys / ICE in Belgium so maybe HS is more prone for competition.
Same situation in Austria between Westbahn and ÖBB. The latter is doing just fine on the competitive track, whilst Westbahn has accumulated quite a decent amount of debt so far. What can be said for sure it a massive increase in service for the customer.
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #198
Richard_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01
I find it somewhat disappointing that the line between Arad and Timisoara is only a single-track line. While not necessarily quite on top considering its importance in the Romanian network, it is certainly not a secondary either. I would imagine that the project from the Austria-Hungarian times would have made at least part of the infrastructure ready to upgrade to double track if necessary, but on video id doesn't look that way. Are there any projects to build a second track?
Single track sections on some routes can be disappointing but what is striking for me is low speed and large amount of grass on tracks suggesting insufficient maintenance. Everybody knows that worst maintained railway lines in EU are in Poland but I must admit that Romania is on straight way to repeat that "success". ATM Romania has a bit better maintenance that network is passable with low speeds although without point speed restrictions but that may change rapidly.

Regarding that particular movie I have also one maybe interesting question about traffic side. Generally trains in Romania are using right hand traffic but on this short section in Timisoara trains were running using left side. Around Timisoara it is only short double track section so it may be more practical to use those tracks as bidirectional although it may be also some legacy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick
Same situation in Austria between Westbahn and ÖBB. The latter is doing just fine on the competitive track, whilst Westbahn has accumulated quite a decent amount of debt so far. What can be said for sure it a massive increase in service for the customer.
Yes in Westbahn case customers definitely receive better services but looking at Romania it is more about cheaper services as trains are run using very old ex SNCF stock dedicated for suburban trains with maximum speed 120 km/h (correct if I am wrong) while trains run on 160 km/h lines. Comparing this CFR Calatori at least in theory offers faster and more comfortable trains.
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #199
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Regarding that particular movie I have also one maybe interesting question about traffic side. Generally trains in Romania are using right hand traffic but on this short section in Timisoara trains were running using left side. Around Timisoara it is only short double track section so it may be more practical to use those tracks as bidirectional although it may be also some legacy about it.
As I see in movie there is no 2-track section* in this movie, and the moment you mentioned above are happening within station boundaries.

*I'm not sure, how the part of railway from end of one station to beginning of other is called in English. It's "перегон" in Russian, but strangely I can't find direct translation in dictionary.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #200
Richard_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
As I see in movie there is no 2-track section* in this movie, and the moment you mentioned above are happening within station boundaries.
There is short (4km) double track in Timisoara which can be seen on this map:
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/...ia/romania.gif
as well as on google maps from more or less here:
https://maps.google.pl/maps?saddr=45...p=0&sz=16&z=16
The track layout suggests that this is double track line although it may be run as two parallel single track lines. Interesting is also that before that section train had to slow down and change track on left and approaching Timisoara it passed two trains in opposite direction having them on right side.