daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #261
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Why is that?
A mix of CFR conservative timetabling, lack of further maintenance funding, corruption and low priority to rail transport given by all post-1989 governments. Basically, many sections that have been completely reconstructed a few years ago are slower than they were a few years before the disruptive and slow reconstructions took place.

mikee777, noikia2010 liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #262
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1360

Don't forget the hundreds of "discriminated people" living alongside the tracks that use the ferous materials for daily living purposes, and the mafia scrap metal collection points that are only too happy to help these poor people

AFAIK, for a few months (I dunno if it's still the case) trains from Bucharest to Constanta were running by means of "clear way" instructions given to them at stops. There was almost no signaling on the entire course (all of it stolen). Freight trains had to be diverted via Buzau, to allow the seaside passenger trains to run safely going "blind".
Old March 17th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #263
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2447

On Polish Rynek Kolejowy article about railways in Romania was published:
http://www.rynek-kolejowy.pl/51359/r...otencjalem.htm
Based on report from Cristina Trifon from Think Railways.
I don’t know if and how accurate are data published there but below the major interesting figures:

In Romania are 23 leading freight companies:
CFR Marfa 45% share in transport market (39 thousand freight cars and 868 locomotives)
GFR (8,4 thousand cars and 241 locomotives)
Servtrans Invest (1350 cars and 64 locos)
Transferoviar Grup (1200 cars and 37 locos)
Cargo Trans Vagon (216 cars and 26 locos)

Passenger sector is served by 8 operators:
Leading is CFR Calatori with biggest private operators as Regiotrans, Transferoviar Calatori and Interretional Calatori. Jointly for passenger traffic in Romania are used 363 electric locomotives (193 modernised), 244 diesel locos (189 modernised), 154 passenger cars train formations, 120 Desiro DMUs and 30 other EMUs. Average fleet age is 35 years.

Regarding passenger segment those figures tend to be incomplete as there is lack of private DMUs or those were counted into those other EMUs. Also number of modernised locos may be controversial as there isn’t any specification as to how much must be changed to say that loco was upgraded. Problematic is also taking into account number of passenger cars formations instead of number of cars in use.

Metro
Article stated also that Metrorex uses 544 trains in which 280 was produced by Astra Arad while remaining is produced by Bombardier. Average fleet age is 25 years. In this year Metrorex apparently signed with CAF contract for delivery of 96 new metro trains.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #264
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1360

The info about the Metreorex fleet would be a lot easier to read if they would mention how many trains they have, not subway cars . Every Bombardier or CAF train has 6 cars, while IVA trains have 2 cars per EMU, but are always formed by coupling 3 of them together, so we always have the same train lenght. There was only a short lived exception on the M4 line, when some IVAs were coupled in pairs. Not any more.

As for the average age of the fleet, I think they counted the retired Astra trains. Bombardier trains are a clear majority in the Bucharest underground, and the oldest of them is 15 years old. And by next year, apart from the M4, we will only have (relatively) new trainsets
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #265
Richard_P

I was afraid that those data are taken from space, which is often when foreigner talks about other markets. Frankly I can believe that freight companies data are mostly correct (although DBSR Romania is missing), the passenger rolling stock is clearly wrongly calculated and Metrorex was also botched. So is there anyone who could provide more accurate and correct data?
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #266
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3658

Latest product of Romanian Rail Industry -- Hyperion EMU by Softronic:

Richard_P, Nowax liked this post
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #267
Richard_P

Looking closer I think that this movie was largely shot at test circuit in Velim, Czech Republic. Apart from other similarities this is only test circuit in region which allows 200 km/h maximum speed (180 km/h in the movie).
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #268
Klausenburg

Well, it seems that Velim (Czech Republic) is not the only test circuit for trains in the region. The tests for Hyperion were made at Railway Testing Center from Faurei (Romania). Here are its main caracteristics:

Quote:
RAILWAY TESTING CENTER FROM FAUREI

Railway Testing Centre from Faurei it is placed on main line Bucuresti-Galati near Faurei and has the following characteristics:

- The total length of lines: 20,2 km, interlocking system, from which:

o The big ring :

· 13,7 km with 6 footbridges and 4 level crossings;

· maximum speed 200 km/h;

· two curves with radius of 1800 m and the cants of track of 150 mm;

· length of the straight lines 1000 m, 950m;

· electrification in single – phase alternating current of 25 kV/50 Hz with the level of catenary at 5,5 m;

o The small ring:

· 2,2 km with 5 footbridges, non electrified;

· maximum speed 60 km/h;

· curves with radius of 400m (cant of track of 70 mm), 180 m (cant of track of 70 mm), 250 m (cant of track of 70mm), 180 m (cant of track of 130mm), 250 m (cant of track of 130 mm), 800 m (cant of track of 70 mm);

· test line with curves and reverse curves of variable radius: with the smallest radius 135 and the biggest radius 250 on a length of 765 m;

· collision line with hump;

-- hall of 600 m2 with inspection pits (one simple and one with outside pockets), lifting jacks 4 x 20 t and travelling platform of 3.2 t, and outside the hall there is a gantry crane of 6.3 t;

-- building with offices and accommodation rooms having a total area of 583 m2 (6 double rooms), meeting room (for about 20 persons), dining room, kitchen.

[IMG]http://i62.************/24lvi86.gif[/IMG]

Source

Last edited by Klausenburg; April 10th, 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #269
Richard_P

Thanks for that info, comparing video with satellite pictures I do admit that pictures were taken on Fautei tracks and not on Velim. I completely didn't know that Romania has such high end test facility. Now I am wondering why most of western companies uses Velim test track but this may be a result of fact that tracks there can be powered at 1,5 and 3 kV DC as well as 15 kV 16,7 Hz and 25 kV 50 Hz AC + ERTMS is there available enabling testing of vehicles from all Europe.

Klausenburg liked this post
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #270
Klausenburg

Maybe the test center in Velim is so extensively used by other contries, because beyond the different voltages, is has the speed limit at 210 km/h, unlike the german Wegberg-Wildenrath Test and Validation center (PCW), where the max speed is only 160 km/h

noikia2010 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:37 AM   #271
Cadîr
Genuine Tatar

Likes (Received): 9130

The possibility of using 4 different voltage intakes is indeed a major advantage for Velim.
Until we modernize the centre at Faurei, at least some diesel engines and wagons can be tested.
Cadîr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #272
Richard_P

That's true. For example this one:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...-at-velim.html
easily could be tested in Romania. Especially that due to its oversize it was shipped by sea and later through Elbe river up to Magdeburg where train was stuck for a month due to low water level and eventually was shipped by rail as oversize load. Shipping it to Romania would be much easier with only 40 km to be covered through rail and as Romania is in OSJD train should fit into 1-VM clearance. This solution would also make easier transport to Saudi Arabia, so I think that most of the rail companies doesn't really know that Romania has such test track

Edit:
By the way does anybody know about other test facilities with test tracks for speeds higher than 100 km/h. Apart from newly discovered for me Faurei test track I know about following:
Wegberg-Wildenrath in Germany: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_an...erg-Wildenrath
Velim in Czech Republic: http://www.cdvuz.cz/en/vuz-test-centre-velim/
Żmigród in Poland: http://www.ikolej.pl/en/units/test-t...-near-zmigrod/
In western Europe only smaller test facilities are available, Spain reportedly planned to build test track for 300 km/h but this could be slashed. The biggest unknown is in former east block countries. Slovakia certainly doesn’t have test track, I think that Bulgaria also doesn’t have one so the biggest unknown is former Yugoslavia. Does anybody know anything about it?

noikia2010 liked this post

Last edited by Richard_P; April 11th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #273
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
Edit:
By the way does anybody know about other test facilities with test tracks for speeds higher than 100 km/h. Apart from newly discovered for me Faurei test track I know about following:
Wegberg-Wildenrath in Germany: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_an...erg-Wildenrath
Velim in Czech Republic: http://www.cdvuz.cz/en/vuz-test-centre-velim/
Żmigród in Poland: http://www.ikolej.pl/en/units/test-t...-near-zmigrod/
In western Europe only smaller test facilities are available, Spain reportedly planned to build test track for 300 km/h but this could be slashed. The biggest unknown is in former east block countries. Slovakia certainly doesn’t have test track, I think that Bulgaria also doesn’t have one so the biggest unknown is former Yugoslavia. Does anybody know anything about it?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post113081344
-H. Kürsch, 2002

Richard_P, noikia2010 liked this post
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #274
Theijs

Likes (Received): 127

I noticed today big progress at the border station of Curtici. The old redundant cargo carriages at the side tracks and overhead wire at the tracks 1 till 11 of railway station of Curtici have been dismantled. All trains arrive at track 11-20 and use the new laid track from track 11 to Curtici Gr and Lököshaza in Hungary.

Last edited by Theijs; April 26th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #275
Richard_P

Here is complete silence meanwhile in Romania rail thread interesting matherial was posted.

User Marius90 published pictures of Arad station under modernisation, below some examples, all can be found in this thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...26417&page=545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius90

And on earlier page user unomzapacit published Brasov-Sighisoara after realignment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unomzapacit
Brasov-Sighisoara a primit acordul de mediu (pdf). Predeal-Brasov se reabiliteaza pe traseul existent (text).

SAS 16, medicu' de garda liked this post
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:46 PM   #276
Alexandru.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 505

Railway stations in Romania

Bistrita

Botosani

Braila

Calarasi

Giurgiu ( under constr)

Piatra Neamt

Pitesti (under constr)

Sfantu Gheorghe

Slatina

Vaslui

Richard_P, xwisz, EduardSA, Gubot liked this post
Alexandru. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #277
Richard_P

According to this article:
http://www.railwaybulletin.com/2014/...to-be-launched
in December 2014 should start running train from Sofia through Vidin-Calafat bridge to Budapest. Route in Romania wasn't specified but it would be hard to go other than through Craiova although further may be interesting weather through Timisoara or Simeria.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #278
alliens

Likes (Received): 3

From 4 july 2014, finally first train run with 160 km/h between Bucuresti and Constanta (225 km in 2 hours)

http://adevarul.ro/economie/stiri-ec...9b0/index.html

nachalnik, Gubot, jonasry liked this post
alliens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #279
KOSTYK
Student CFDP

Likes (Received): 99

From 2 weeks ago there are 2 pairs of trains traveling with 160km/h between Bucuresti and Constanta. The trip is 1.58 min long for 225 km and is made with classic trains (locomotive+ 7 coaches). The locomotives are made by Romanian manufacturer Softronic and are capable of running with 200km/h. The prices are starting from 47.5 lei ~ 11 euros.

There are 1 Softronic Transmontana:
[IMG]IMAG0273 by KOSTYK2012, on Flickr[/IMG]

And 2 Softronic Phoenix
[IMG]Fotografie0039 by KOSTYK2012, on Flickr[/IMG]

And the coaches are like this:

[IMG]vagon21_760012 by KOSTYK2012, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]6777340_orig by KOSTYK2012, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]61 53 21-90 004-0 B11-R347-BucN-001 by KOSTYK2012, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #280
Earthchild

Likes (Received): 186

160 km/h