daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #321
mureseanu976

Likes (Received): 446

Thank you Theijs for yout information. Our timetable does not show train journey after crossing the border, just like in Curtici, Golenti, Giurgiu Nord, etc. Only the cashiers from international ticket offices know these situations and may advice passengers whenever needed. That is why I was confused.

Train services IR 380 Bucuresti - Vicsani (Vadu Siret) and 381 (Vadu Siret) Vicsani - Bucuresti are the only ones that may recieve direct sleeping cars from Kiev - Cernivtsi. We will see from various trainspotters how the trains will actually look and composed of, but at least 3 CFR passenger cars (2 x 22-96 / 22-76 Beem + 30-76 Aeem, former DB Bahn cars) will have for the internal journey in Romania.

@Richard_P Even though Bucuresti Basarab won't pop up when you write in the "plecari / sosiri" gap, just click "Cautare" for either Plecari (departures) or Sosiri (Arrivals). It will show you very few trains compared to Bucuresti Nord, like 17 departures and 17 arrivals. If the site cannot show those trains, I suggest searching after one train's timetable (Informatii tren button) in particular. Try for instance 3003, that is Bucuresti Basarab - Brasov local train ; it will be daily like it was, as I already searched for future dates (20.12) and it is showing up. Once the timetable of the train is displayed, simply click Bucuresti Basarab from the starting point and it will show all trains departing or arriving at Bucuresti Basarab. I do not know why it won't display Bucuresti Basarab from the very first try, but after searching with my "indirect method", the second time i tried for Bucuresti Basarab by simply accessing your link it simply displayed the information I needed.

Richard_P liked this post
mureseanu976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #322
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

Quote:
Originally Posted by mureseanu976 View Post
@Richard_P Even though Bucuresti Basarab won't pop up when you write in the "plecari / sosiri" gap, just click "Cautare" for either Plecari (departures) or Sosiri (Arrivals). It will show you very few trains compared to Bucuresti Nord, like 17 departures and 17 arrivals.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was searching for

And one small question. There are also other trains with similar number but with 0 in front like for example IR1782 and IR01782 which have the same arrival time in Bucuresti Nord (7:47). Judging from slightly different time in Pitesti I assume that this is the same train but with additional carriages added at that station. This pattern on that route is repeating itself several time.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #323
mureseanu976

Likes (Received): 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what I was searching for

And one small question. There are also other trains with similar number but with 0 in front like for example IR1782 and IR01782 which have the same arrival time in Bucuresti Nord (7:47). Judging from slightly different time in Pitesti I assume that this is the same train but with additional carriages added at that station. This pattern on that route is repeating itself several time.
You're welcome.

I have done some research, if a train has a particular offer, to simplify ticket issuing, they just "clone" the train and add that extra "0" in their system, it will show cashiers all the extra criteria the trains possess.

In our case, IR 1782 and a few others have a "Regio price offer", those trains also have a written observation ("OFERTA-tarife REGIO") and a small blue square with red percentage icon while the trains are displayed on the timetable. The Regio price is ONLY AVAILABLE if you purchase the ticket FROM PITESTI, GOLESTI, GAESTI, TITU . This is why other passengers that may book tickets from other random cities and that are not on the train's route (Oradea, Craiova Iasi, etc) WILL NOT BENEFIT of this price offer !! I find this method UNORTHODOX as it tends to discourage passengers to buy tickets from all the country. So I suggest to carefully plan your journeys through Romania to have access at the best offers, but also not putting yourself at the risk of losing train connections (because that is why some connections are possible on the field but their shitty ticket issuing system do not let cashiers to handle tickets).

Richard_P liked this post

Last edited by mureseanu976; December 9th, 2015 at 10:41 PM.
mureseanu976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #324
Yavorrg

Likes (Received): 82

Edited
Yavorrg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #325
Richard_P

And for those interested there is also cab view from magnificent Olt Valley. The film is in both directions but first hour is in dark relatively bad whether so you might just skip to 59 minute where train reaches Calimanesti and starts return trip up to Sibiu, the rain soon clears leaving magnificent views

Additionally You may continue journey through also very interesting section Sibiu - Vintu de Jos unfortunately from back view.

Both movies by user Cornel Sibianul

Le Clerk, CornelM liked this post
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #326
Richard_P

I was interested in Bucuresti terminus station throughput and after gathering all data I can sum this up. I have counted present trains from Bucuresti Nord and Basarab both CFR Calatori and private trains. Conclusion is such that morning peek traffic is at 7 AM and includes 20 trains - 9 incoming, 10 departing and one through service (due to calculation counts as one). In the evening peek hour is 17 PM with 18 trains 7 terminating, 10 departing and one through service.

As for station capacity Bucuresti Nord with its 14 platforms can handle up to 42 trains per hour if one train blocks platform for 20 minutes and 56 if that would be reduced to 15 minutes. So just to sum up utilisation of Nord station is far below its possible capacity and using of Basarab isn't needed. Bearing in mind that rail network in Bucuresti isn't suited for urban rail and there is space for doubling of present level peek services there isn't need for station expansion while Basarab could be abandoned. The only thing which additional trains would require is redesigning approaches to alleviate conflicting movements but also for this is space (not necessarily funds at this moment).
Old January 1st, 2016, 01:09 PM   #327
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12047

CFR SA Draws EUR700M Funds From EC For Infrastructure Upgrades

Quote:
Romania's state-owned railway operator CFR SA signed four financing contracts totaling EUR689 million with the European Commission for the modernization of railway infrastructure, targeting the connections Brasov-Sighisoara, Craiova-Calafat and Craiova-Drobeta Turnu Severin-Caransebes.

This falls under 2014-2020 EU financing cycles, and will benefit from 85% EU financing, the rest coming from government funding.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Dusko_BG liked this post
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 03:35 PM   #328
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Nice news. Does It include as well the upgrade of line 902, Bucuresti - Giurgiu Nord?
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 03:39 PM   #329
adymartianul
Make Europe great again

Likes (Received): 3362

No
adymartianul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 03:51 PM   #330
Dusko_BG

Likes (Received): 531

And electrification Golenti-Craiova?
Anyway this could take years to complete.
Dusko_BG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:01 PM   #331
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko_BG View Post
And electrification Golenti-Craiova? Anyway this could take years to complete.
As it's flatland, It won't be that hard. The journey time can be reduced from the current 2,5 - 3 hours hours to 1 hour.
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #332
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Nice, but it would have been a better idea to build a new line Golenti-Turnu Severin. Traffic from the 2nd Danube Bridge is mostly towards Timisoara-Hungary, traffic towards Bucharest will always be better off using the old bridge. Still, it is good that the presently most direct line Bucharest-Budapest gets an upgrade. Although planning was to prioritize the completion of the diretissimp Rāmnicu Valcea-Petrosani as major transit corridor?
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:13 PM   #333
adymartianul
Make Europe great again

Likes (Received): 3362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
As it's flatland, It won't be that hard. The journey time can be reduced from the current 2,5 - 3 hours hours to 1 hour.
If the design speed is going to be 160kph, then the difference is going to be even bigger (~40min travel time between Craiova and Calafat for direct trains)
adymartianul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #334
Theijs

All EU funded infratstructure projects are now listed with a planning: http://www.fonduri-ue.ro/images/file...uarie_2016.pdf

adymartianul liked this post
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #336
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Can anyone tell me why DB Schenker is opting for Co-Co electrics in this region? Are the Bo-Bo designs we see in most of Europe less suitable for some reason?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #337
Richard_P

Four axle locomotives have limited traction effort and higher axle loads which in mountainous countries and in bad weather requires additional locomotive while on many rail routes not only in Romania 20t axle load is rather standard. And last but not least cost is also the factor - Softronic locomotives are cheaper while their six axle give additional adhesion enabling to pull train with only one locomotive.

KingNick liked this post
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #338
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #339
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

The fact that DB is not the owner of the tracks might have also influenced the decision. To my knowledge 3 axle bogies tend to do more harm to tracks than normal bogies and since DB is not the owner of the tracks in Romania, they opted for a Co'Co' solution.
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #340
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

I'm not sure that this can be an argument.

For a start, many DB Schenker Bo-Bo electrics operate over tracks not run by DB Netz. In fact, some of these Bo-Bo electrics have been bought via the non-German parts of the DB Schenker group, such as DB Schenker Poland and Euro Cargo Rail in France.

In addition, DB Schenker clearly is not the only operator which favours Bo-Bo electrics across most of Europe. And some operators, such as Crossrail, are not even attached to any kind of infrastructure-owning body.

There seems to be something about the networks of Romania and Bulgaria specifically that draws people to Co-Co machines it seems. Gradients have been mentioned. I think I also read some time ago that the tracks in these regions were of a poorer quality which makes Co-Co units more preferable.