daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2016, 07:12 PM   #401
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
I say Ciolos is in for a full PM term of 4 years following the fall elections, so he will just carry on on these.
** off topic **
And the rest of his government ?
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #402
Theijs

ROMANIA | Railways

CFR timetable 2016/2017
https://www.docdroid.net/5iLzgm4/liv...017-3.pdf.html

EduardSA liked this post
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #403
stefan2000

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugo55 View Post
what is happening with Electroputere from Craiova?
No longer producing locomotives. It was taken over by a Saudi company in 2009. Most of the factory is scrap metal.

yugo55 liked this post

Last edited by stefan2000; November 13th, 2016 at 04:34 PM.
stefan2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #404
hatton02

Likes (Received): 0

I've never been to Romania before or have no knowledge of their railways apart from some basic googling. We are off to Timisoara for 4 days in February in the hunt to take photos or just see freight trains. We have heard Arad or Curtici is decent too. Which stations do people suggest that would be good for seeing freight trains up that side of Romania...preferably stations with decent lighting after it gets dark and hopefully slowish freight trains! What's the freight like overnight or is it worth getting hotels(!!!)
hatton02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #405
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
and the project: Gara de Nord - Gara Progressu (Centura ferroviar) https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...23473531214200

Are these projects in the Masterplan or just an empty election promises to gain votes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
The current goverment consists of technocrats with no political afiliations. So there aren't any promises for votes, because this bunch can't be voted. They can only gain another term if there is public and political support.

There have been ideas for such a network before, with no result. But this goverment seems different, they have already achieved something in just a few months. So maybe this time this project will be a real thing, especially considering the ridiculously low costs for introducing such a system, since all the infrastructure is already there, they only need a little maintenance for raising comercial speed, some new platforms and parking lots next to the stations. Somewhere around a few million euros including rail conections to some subway lines.

So what will be the influence of the PSD on the railway sector now they will return to power on 3rd of January 2017?
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #406
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
So what will be the influence of the PSD on the railway sector now they will return to power on 3rd of January 2017?
Nothing substantial I believe. Probably maintaining the policy of modernizing lines where EU funding is available and making current repairs to other lines.
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #407
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2578

I've just finished cab view made by Yogi Tablet which came out to be very interesting. It shows basically extremely regional route from Nerau Hcv. close to border with Serbia through Lovrin and Periam to Ronat Triaj (effectively Timisoara outskirts). It is astonishing that such regional routes are still in operations and are still drawing passengers. It clearly shows that putting those to private operators helped them to survive but some investments are desperately needed to keep them alive and competitive to road transport.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #408
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatton02 View Post
I've never been to Romania before or have no knowledge of their railways apart from some basic googling. We are off to Timisoara for 4 days in February in the hunt to take photos or just see freight trains. We have heard Arad or Curtici is decent too. Which stations do people suggest that would be good for seeing freight trains up that side of Romania...preferably stations with decent lighting after it gets dark and hopefully slowish freight trains! What's the freight like overnight or is it worth getting hotels(!!!)
Arad station would be a good choice. It is newly renovated, I think all tracks are lighted at night, plus all trains leaving to the west through Curtici pass through Arad at low speed.

Here's a day video that I have made with Arad railway station about a year ago:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

dimlys1994, Eli777 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #409
stefan2000

Status of railways upgrades (up to 160 km/h) in Romania

In service:

1.Bucuresti-Constanta 225 km

Notes:
- In some stations works aren't finished and are currently halted: Ciulita station is only half reconstructed and in Fetesti station works have barely started.
- Constanta station has not been included into the project
- Danube bridges weren't included initially, but works are currently underway

2. Bucuresti-Predeal 140 Km

Notes:
- Max speed for trains today is 140 km/h
- Predeal station is not included

3.Km 614-Arad-border 41 km

Notes:
- Max speed for trains today is 140 km/h

Under Construction:

1. Sighisoara-Simeria 169 Km

Notes:
-Sighisoara and Simeria stations are not included
-Works likely to finish in 2018

Next for reconstruction are Brasov-Sighisoara (128 Km) and Km 614-Simeria (136 Km) ,but not likely to finish before 2022.

Km reconstructed/under reconstruction 406/169.

Arad station:

Sinaia station:

Medgidia station:

Azuga station:

Cabiviews:

roaddor liked this post

Last edited by stefan2000; December 26th, 2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #410
Theijs

IR 74 Brasov - Budapest @ Curtici 25 December 2016
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #411
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5476

Do you have any plans to connect directly Turnu Severin and Calafat and avoid the detour through Craiova with respect to Bulgaria?

You are upgrading Hungarian border/Arad-Brasov-Bucharest-Constanta just as we'll do Serbian border-Sofia-Plovdiv-Svilengrad-Turkish border and Plovdiv-Burgas. If there is any money left for railways till 2030, we should upgrade Arad-Calafat and Vidin-Sofia-Kulata (GR border) respectively.

Last edited by roaddor; December 28th, 2016 at 12:25 AM.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #412
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Sadly, Romania and Bulgaria did not coordinate their railway development plans. While obviously, both countries need their East-West-corridors more urgently than North-to-South, the total lack of any Bulgarian-Romanian feasible border link is a serious handicap in attracting rail freight or passengers.
Sadly, as you already state, this will not change in the near future. Bulgaria's ambitious Sofia-Vidin new rail line has been shelved, and Romania will not build a Turnu Severin-Calafat direct line anytime soon. At best, the present line will be electrified, but it would need a serious upgrade, which is to my knowledge not in the cards either. Vidin and Calafat are among the most underdeveloped areas of the respective countries and therefore create little local traffic. On the Romanian side, the more likely prospect is that the direct line from Giurgiu to Bucharest will be finally reconstructed, which would be a viable improvement for connections from Eastern Bulgaria to Romania.

Bogdy, Eli777 liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #413
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

I travelled between Craiova and Sofia via the New Vidin Calafat bridge a year ago and I must admit that the line between Craiova and Calafat looks very much like à museum operation. Jointes rails, slow speed (60km/h max), old mechanical signals... A real railfan dream but not what you would expect for an international line.

Regarding the Giurgiu line I read somewhere a few days ago that the damaged bridge will finally be reconstructed.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #414
roaddor
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Sadly, Romania and Bulgaria did not coordinate their railway development plans. While obviously, both countries need their East-West-corridors more urgently than North-to-South, the total lack of any Bulgarian-Romanian feasible border link is a serious handicap in attracting rail freight or passengers.
Sadly, as you already state, this will not change in the near future. Bulgaria's ambitious Sofia-Vidin new rail line has been shelved, and Romania will not build a Turnu Severin-Calafat direct line anytime soon. At best, the present line will be electrified, but it would need a serious upgrade, which is to my knowledge not in the cards either. Vidin and Calafat are among the most underdeveloped areas of the respective countries and therefore create little local traffic. On the Romanian side, the more likely prospect is that the direct line from Giurgiu to Bucharest will be finally reconstructed, which would be a viable improvement for connections from Eastern Bulgaria to Romania.
The coordination between Romania and Bulgaria is not an issue at all. The real impediment is the lack of financial resources with respect to the axis Arad-Sofia. But even if there were such, there is no technological time to implement everything in the current program period. In reality, the sections Arad-Brasov and Sofia-Stara Zagora are more important than Arad-Sofia. It can obviously be done only at a later stage.
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #415
stefan2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Regarding the Giurgiu line I read somewhere a few days ago that the damaged bridge will finally be reconstructed.

You hear that every year since 2005. Not likely to be rebuilt soon, but when it will be rebuilt, it will be a miracle.
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #416
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Yes but this time it looks more serious : it was published in Today's Railways and european funds have been allocated for the reconstruction, + line doubling & électrification.

MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #417
adymartianul
Make Europe great again

Likes (Received): 3355

I don't think that Craiova - Calafat will be doubled
adymartianul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #418
stefan2000

I think he is talking about Bucuresti - Giurgiu.

adymartianul liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #419
roaddor
In the brig

As for the other railway passage at Ruse/Giurgiu, it has no reference to the TEN-T corridors which were mentioned before. Nevertheless the spot is also crucial there. A new bridge is definitely needed at Giurgiu/Ruse for the road vehicles while the old one can utilize the reconstructed one day railway.
There is the so called European trace Via Carpatia and I believe such a combined rail-road corridor is much more practical if it passes through Central Romania (Oradea-Cluj-Brasov-Bucharest-Giurgiu) and Bulgaria (Ruse-Gorna Oryahovitsa-Dimitrovgrad-Svilengrad) instead. The proposed route in Western Romania and Bulgaria has no importance because it is completely coinciding with Orient/East Med. corridor in Bulgaria and also to a big extent coinciding with the same corridor as well as parts of Rhein/Danube corridor in Romania, the only exception being Oradea-Arad section.

Last edited by roaddor; December 28th, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #420
Theijs

In accordance with the Romanian Transport Masterplan, two feasibility studies will be made:
1: doubling and electrifying Bucuresti- Giurgiu Nord.
2: reconstruction and electrification of the Craiova - Golenti (Vidin) section.
There are no plans to cut the curve via Craiova.