daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #41
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

I like seeing Philly through the eyes of tourist myself. Thanks.

Glad you like my analysis. I think its fairly accurate since I have run it past friends in each of the 3 cities. They are the 3 biggest old "subway" cities in the US and are very comparable even though there are size differences.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #42
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244730

Unique city
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #43
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
I like seeing Philly through the eyes of tourist myself. Thanks.

Glad you like my analysis. I think its fairly accurate since I have run it past friends in each of the 3 cities. They are the 3 biggest old "subway" cities in the US and are very comparable even though there are size differences.
You should also do one of Boston, that other great American city.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #44
philadweller

I will. I haven't been to Boston in 3 years...yikes. I will also include Brookline, Allston, Somerville, Charlestown and Cambridge since they are such a imperative part of metro Boston. I don't feel comfortable taking photos in Southie for some reason. I still have a fabulous BW photo of the entrance to the Middle East Cafe that I took during a photo class at NU.

I was just thinking about going up there because I love Boston in Autumn and I could see my alma matter Northeastern University and buy some Husky wear. Also I could see all the swanky new dorms that my tuition paid for. Is Cappy's pizza still around? How bout Shawarma King?

All of my friends have since moved from Boston so it would be strange to not know anyone and not have a fabulous Back Bay condo to crash at. When I go back I feel so old. I'll be 40 in 4 months...ouch!

Wrigleyville in Chicago is so eerily similar to the Fenway in Boston. When I was up in Andersonville on Clark I felt like I was in a flat Brookline on Commonwealth Avenue.

I was very lucky to go to college in Boston and enjoyed every minute of it. The best college city in America.

Let me take a stab...its been a while but here goes.....
Bostonians are very well educated and seem very polished. However they are the first to break out the Bloody Marys at brunch or the killer bud for a wake and bake. Bostonians can appear conservative and aloof but are very liberal and intimate in nature. Bostonians are not shy and will tell you how they feel which can seem rude but is actually very fair. Bostonians are very into aesthetics. This is why the city is so attractive. You will not see chain link fences or vinyl siding anywhere. Boston is not campy it is vernacular. You will see wood, masonry and wrought iron. You will not see sloppy people waking around in sweat pants unless they are from Revere or Lynn or attend a community college. Bostonians, like New Yorkers think of Boston as the center of their universe and are quick to make fun of other places. Bostonians are sarcastic and humorous and a little on the dry side. Bostonians are curious and want to know your story. They basically want to know if you are Irish and if you have money. Boston is a rich, well to do city that gets things done even if they have to spend the entire Massachusetts economy for the next 10 years. As long as Boston is the star everything is fine. It helps that Boston aside from being the the largest city in the state, it is the capital. Worcester, Springfield??? Aren't they in Jersey? Boston is very old but with a young population that likes to party and of course study. The accent is funny and so are some of the local expressions. Quirky, smart, experimental and well appointed are the Bostonians. College kids seem to adapt real well to the local culture as long as daddy is direct depositing. Boston does real well at preserving its past while forging ahead to the future. This is a city with a very strong identity. City of hearty microbreweries, scrod, chowder, "Cape Codders" and khakis. William Weld is a typical Bostonian. Big sports city especially with the Beanpot and all the colleges and of course the Sox!

Last edited by philadweller; October 15th, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #45
Deng

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
How bout Shawarma King?
If I am right I think there are two. I am only familiar with the one near Coolidge Corner and yes, it's still there. I am all about the lamb and chicken shwarma and veggie grape leaves.

Having lived in, or in the metro area, of three out of the four cities (all but Chicago) I would say that your descriptions are all pretty much on the money.

Great pics! Great thread! Hope you get to go to Boston soon!
Deng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #46
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4273

Great pictures.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #47
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Used to live there back in 1990. It's a great place! Love your pictures!!
I miss Chi-town.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #48
philadweller

Steven why don't you move back? I am ready to give up my tropical lifestyle for the urban arctic. How is the graphic design scene there?
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:19 AM   #49
philadweller

UrbanSophist I wrote a Boston description for you.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #50
philadweller

I think I may be moving to Chicago. I am not a fan of Old Man Winter but there is not one decent walkable city in the South with good jobs.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #51
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Wow! That was a great tour Philadweller. I see you had fun @ The Bean ( I love the people shots). You can't help but not love Chicago...it only takes a second for the place to grow on you. I loved your descriptions of Phila, NYC, Chi btw --three cities I treasure dearly.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #52
Jax419
Força Barça

Likes (Received): 7

Awesome pics man, you just made me miss Chicago even more (at school about 5 hrs away)
Jax419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #53
palermodude

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I think I may be moving to Chicago. I am not a fan of Old Man Winter but there is not one decent walkable city in the South with good jobs.
I had an appointment in Kendall the other day.
I walked from 1900 N. Bayshore to the Omni Station, took the metro mover to Govt. Center, took the metrorail to Dadeland North, and bus to Kendall. Everything worked smoothly, and I don't think it took me more than 45 minutes for the whole trip.

And talk about sidewalk cafes and decent street life - Ocean, Collins, Washington, Española, Lincoln, MDCWolfson (downtown), North Beach, Omni, Brickell, The Grove, The Gables, Little Havana ... not to mention areas where you would not expect street life, like the NW.

Add in consistent sunshine, palm trees, beautiful beaches, and warm temps, and I would say think twice... and I am an Illinois native.
palermodude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM   #54
philadweller

"And talk about sidewalk cafes and decent street life - Ocean, Collins, Washington, Española, Lincoln, MDCWolfson (downtown), North Beach, Omni, Brickell, The Grove, The Gables, Little Havana ... not to mention areas where you would not expect street life, like the NW."

I agree.
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM   #55
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Old Man Winter is about 3 months, so if your not a fan of winter, the rest of the year will be great! Our summers resemble Florida, and we have great sidewalk summertime cafe's

Taken last June

image hosted on flickr

Taken last September

image hosted on flickr

Taken last October..... We won't be having outdoor cafes for another four months

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; January 3rd, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM   #56
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Great pictures. I like your photothreads. Really 'between' the people
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #57
philadweller

Chicagogeorge you just cheapened my thread. I am not into the "girls gone wild" scene. You did make your point though that Chicago is a beach town.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:21 AM   #58
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Chicagogeorge you just cheapened my thread. I am not into the "girls gone wild" scene. You did make your point though that Chicago is a beach town.

Great pics Philadweller, and I liked your New York, Philadelphia and Chicago analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadweller
I am not into the "girls gone wild" scene
I don't think you are in to the girl scene full stop. Did Chicaogeorge not notice the pics inside Chicago's gay bars and the man on man kissing.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #59
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

I did see them. So?

Quote:
Sorry philadweller, I was just trying to add a different perspective to various activities people can get into in Chicago...

I removed those photos as not to cheapen the thread. That wasn't my intention.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; January 3rd, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM   #60
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

LOL! I think Philadweller was pulling your leg, George! I am sorry I missed the cheapening photos of Girls Gone Wild!!