daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

Vauxhall Sky Gardens | Vauxhall | 120m | 35 fl | U/C

A new 120m 35 floor tower in Vauxhall sneaked under the radar and went in for planning in July. Its 35 Storeys and just South of the Vauxhall roundabout. Its in the Vauxhall-Nine elms opportunity area which is going to be a new redevelopment hotspot in the next 10-15 year. Other projects planned in the area include the Vauxhall tower, a major redevelopment of Nine Elms market, a new US embassy & large developments from Ballymore & Arab investors as well as the planned Battersea Power Station redevelopment.

It might also mean some of the long dead projects such as the Bondway tower might resurface.

Architects are Cary Jones & developers are Fairbriar Projects,

Suprrise surprise the local association in Kennington is against the proposal as it doesn't contain enough 3 & 4 bed flats.... Oh yes, forgot to mention they are opposed to the height (excessive apparently).

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/plann...20080923.jsp#2

Last edited by london lad; October 8th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #2
golddex

Likes (Received): 0

WE LIKE WE LIKE!! that could make me move south of the river...
golddex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #3
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5828

We know what to expect from this: the usual uphill battle through an overly-bureaucratic planning system, the inevitable public inquiry and/or height reduction, Evening Standard propaganda and insane NIMBY comments ("London turning into Manhattan") and a dumbed-down design which people still object to, even when the developers have satisfied all the criteria. Predictable as clockwork.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2723

Do you like it though? Honestly? Is this really a fine addition to London? Looks pretty dull to me.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #5
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1631

A residential HSBC, if you will.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #6
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post

Yep, this will go to a PI. No doubt about it. The impact on Westminster is clearly going to be catastrophic. Look how it overwhelms Big Ben. Absolutely shocking. These sort of monstrous skyscrapers belong in Shanghai or Hong Kong.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Octoman
Just Relax

The thing that bugs me about these renders is that it seems standard to show some form of sky garden full of flush tropical looking plants. They look great and if you look at the renders here play quite a large role in lifting the design above being what is basically a dull glass cladded tube. The reality though is that these areas inevitably turn out to be a bog standard atrium with a couple of rubber plants and a water cooler.

smurnov liked this post
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #8
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
We know what to expect from this: the usual uphill battle through an overly-bureaucratic planning system, the inevitable public inquiry and/or height reduction, Evening Standard propaganda and insane NIMBY comments ("London turning into Manhattan") and a dumbed-down design which people still object to, even when the developers have satisfied all the criteria. Predictable as clockwork.
Theres been a lot of meetings with CABE, Lambeth & the relevant authorities. It's height means it blends in with the St Georges Wharf development & doesn't fall into an designated views. Lambeth, from being very anti-highrise several years ago have done a turnaround and designated this area as suitable for high rises.

Its general supported by the GLA so it depends on what Boris has to say on things as he did with the Waterloo towers he overruled.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Do you like it though? Honestly? Is this really a fine addition to London? Looks pretty dull to me.
Nothing special, but it would suit the area - Vauxhall is a great place for residential developments in my opinion. I like the slender form of the tower (which of course is going to be ruined when they're forced to lop several floors off), and the garden floors are lovely. A nice "filler" tower that will bulk up the area, and hopefully encourage further residential developments nearby.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #10
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Theres been a lot of meetings with CABE, Lambeth & the relevant authorities. It's height means it blends in with the St Georges Wharf development & doesn't fall into an designated views. Lambeth, from being very anti-highrise several years ago have done a turnaround and designated this area as suitable for high rises.

Its general supported by the GLA so it depends on what Boris has to say on things as he did with the Waterloo towers he overruled.
That's all very lovely but we all know what Simon Milton and UNESCO are going to say, don't we?

I reckon six floors will be gone in the next application. Anyone for eight?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #11
london lad

Quote:
Nothing special, but it would suit the area - Vauxhall is a great place for residential developments in my opinion. I like the slender form of the tower (which of course is going to be ruined when they're forced to lop several floors off), and the garden floors are lovely. A nice "filler" tower that will bulk up the area, and hopefully encourage further residential developments nearby.
I agree ( apart from the height cut) its a nice filler tower, nothing exceptional but then again a step up from average & add to the area. Its to be mainly clad in Aluminium so should look quite nice.

As far as the sky gardens or lack of them, there's a greater emphasis on these types of thing in developments these days & the application goes into detail over the communal gardens & I would imagine how they turn out will be one of the stipulations of the planning permission.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #12
potto

Likes (Received): 1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Its ok, nice living space. It ups the living standards in this country. It has elegent proportions and a skygarden.

Its certainly one of the most exciting things in that area and the others are still just plans.

You cant even see it from the view that the majority of people bother to glance at for about 5 seconds.

This area could do with turning into a Canary Wharf, clean modern, good quality public realm yet closer to the historical core of London. Each area of London should have a signature structure or two and hopefully the Battersea powerstation and St George Wharf will be the signatures here.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #13
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
That's all very lovely but we all know what Simon Milton and UNESCO are going to say, don't we?

I reckon six floors will be gone in the next application. Anyone for eight?
I'm sure they would love to but they don't have any case, both the Vauxhall & Millbank towers are far more dominant so they would have a very little chance of using that as an excuse. It barely registers above the current St George wharf or Market towers.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #14
Octoman
Just Relax

Quote:
I agree and I wouldnt object to the building either because there is nothing offensive about it but I actually think this area could do with something that pinpoints it. Vauxhall is really a nothingless place of traffic interchanges, rail flyovers and residentials at the moment and would really benefit from something that marks its location. A generic glass-scraper wont do that. But if they are going to the trouble of pushing for height (the hardest battle to win in London) shouldnt they go for something a bit more distinctive?
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #15
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 253

I like the look of this, good find london lad. je suis d'accord avec monsieur potto.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #16
Jizzy
Royal Pimp

Likes (Received): 0

I like it.

This pic in particular of its interior sortof reminds me of what 20FC is hoping to acheive!
http://i33.tinypic.com/zjw677.jpg
Jizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #17
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 24

Nice, very slick looking, it will certainly lift the image of Wandsworth Road, this end is of it is pretty dire. I tempted to agree with wjfox in post #3. Oh well, I guess we'll get a 70m tower minus the skygardens.
GazKinz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #18
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazKinz View Post
Oh well, I guess we'll get a 70m tower minus the skygardens.
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #19
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 89

I'n the words of the great Boss Nass...

"mesa lika dis!"
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #20
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 241

[QUOTE=london lad;26340952]
QUOTE]

In this view St Georges tower is completey hidden by Millbank Tower

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: