daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #61
Sesquip

Likes (Received): 69

My strong hope is that in the future, random cladding will be de-randomised udring building refurbishments. It's a horrible look
Sesquip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #62
cybertect

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesquip/CABE View Post
Internal arrangement
The angled internal planning of the tower has produced flat layouts with too many non-orthogonal rooms that will be awkward to furnish. We think that this is an unacceptable arrangement and it seems counterintuitive to create irregular flats within a square tower.
Looks like they took one look at the CABE appraisal and said - "well, let's retain the non-orthongonal plan and make the tower not-square to keep them happy, then"
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #63
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 832

Random cladding!!

I wish the nimbies luck in blocking this tower completely. Random cladding should be BANNED outright!!
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #64
Light Parade

Likes (Received): 24

Apologies, obviously this isn't Sky Garden, but it's in Vauxhall, and since St George's, the proposals for this neck of the woods have been coming in thick and fast.

50s, 60s, 70s, even 80s buildings are tumbling down in the City and West End. I hope we'll keep a few representative samples of good stuff - not just Centre Point and RFH.

It's a personal view, but I think this is great. Of its type, of its time, but I wouldn't want to lose it. It's the brave new London I grew up with.

Light Parade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #65
london lad

Likes (Received): 485

Thats the one next to MI6 isn't it? I quite like this one. Could look quite good converted to resi a bit like the shell centre buildings were. Although it will probably have something else planned for it especially as its right next to the major development hot spot of Vaxuhall & Nine Elms.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #66
Light Parade

That's right, opposite the Tate. Handsome beast. Another 50 years and people would say, why did they let that go. Like this:

...which has been replaced by this mish-mash (sorry about the trees!):

Old February 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #67
london lad

Shame about the building with the clocktower (forget the name of it) as well. Think thats the site of the red brick tower now. There is some good 20th C stuff along here, most already gone now though. Still at least the old Fire HW is having the facade retained when its up for redevelopment.

Isn't there also a hidden dock on the north side along there somewhere?
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #68
Light Parade

Lots of wharves, but I'm not sure there was ever a dock?

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #69
london lad

This hidden one on the Lambeth side of the river.

http://whitehartdock.wordpress.com/about/
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #70
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3026

was talking to the original architect about this who first saw the new designs on skyscrapernews. i think he's quite annoyed. there's a lot i won't say but his firm is embarrassed by being associated with carey jones plan apparently to the point he wanted me to make it clear they had nothing to do with it! that's fine by me, i don't think anyone will argue that this design is carey jones' finest moment.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #71
Light Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
This hidden one on the Lambeth side of the river.

http://whitehartdock.wordpress.com/about/
Amazing, I never knew about that. Can't find it on any old maps, but here it is.

Old February 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #72
potto

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
was talking to the original architect about this who first saw the new designs on skyscrapernews. i think he's quite annoyed. there's a lot i won't say but his firm is embarrassed by being associated with carey jones plan apparently to the point he wanted me to make it clear they had nothing to do with it! that's fine by me, i don't think anyone will argue that this design is carey jones' finest moment.
I dont understand why planning departments allow this to happen. It almost seems like a routine stunt and no one seems to care.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #73
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3026

agreed. you have to ask yourself if precedent of the last proposal aside the revised design would get planning permission, and i think the answer is "no." quite sad.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #74
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 97

On the Sky Gardens project - scaffolding has just appeared on the Tactica Solutions building which currently occupies the site - apologies for the dodgy photo taken quite late this evening - this is looking along Wandsworth Road towards Vauxhall, you can see the railway bridge at the left, and the tower is Covent Garden's Market Tower.

image hosted on flickr

It has been empty for ages, and boarded up for more than a year (including for some time featuring a sign from the Royal Bank of Scotland, with the tag line "another dream becoming a commercial reality" - that one was removed soon after RBS more or less collapsed; I presume they are no longer the funder of this development).

The revised design goes to the Lambeth planning committee for decision next week - so the developers have presumably seen the committee report by now.

They'll be either demolishing this, or cleaning it up for a short let (as although scruffy the building is still sound). I suspect the former - as it wouldn't take this much scaffolding to spruce up the building. The Renaissance Rooms next door (famous for the roller disco) are still in business.

Last edited by Swissdave; March 11th, 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Having issues with the login...
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #75
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 259

I think your right. Scaffolding to clean a few windows?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #76
Swissdave

Yes - the building is definitely being demolished. Noticed that the roof was missing on the way to work today! This won't leave the whole Sky Garden site clear, but it does clear a fairly large part of it.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #77
Swissdave

Here are some photos from this morning, where all that's left of the poor old Tactica building - which has clearly reached the last chapter! - was a single storey wall.

Another angle here

Here's a view of the rubble, and the remaining scaffolding coming down -

And another

Going past the same location on the bus this evening, the building had gone - just a big heap of rubble. This clears up almost the entire site (I'm not sure if the yard at the back is part of the project, I'd imagine it is - but the single storey building there has not been touched yet).
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #78
Swissdave

Update: The most recent planning report for the tower (which secured approval for a revised design last week) is online here - with a helpful map of the site on the first page. It doesn't include the building right next to the railway line - in other words, the entire site for the tower is now clear for construction, and it has planning permission.

The big question now is - do the developers keep the freshly-demolished site on hold for a few years - or do they forge ahead?
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #79
Swissdave

Here's a picture of the cleared site. Hoardings have been put up by the demolition contractor (which include a small section of the wall of the old building, at the left), which look fairly medium-term, and the site has been deserted for a week or so.

It could stay like this for weeks - or years. The tower (including the recently revised design) now has full planning permission, and I presume they wanted to get the previous building out of the way as quickly as possible. Partly avoid paying rates on it - but mainly to avoid the it being taken over by squatters - quite a high risk in this part of London, and with the potential to be very expensive if they have a contractor due to start work at any particular date.

Last edited by Swissdave; April 11th, 2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Picture problems
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:18 AM   #80
Supertall Robbo
on Clapham Common

Likes (Received): 4

Thanks, my first post on this thread and this tower looks ok, What is it's current status? fully U/C or still on proposal stages?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: