daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Old October 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #1
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4448

HALIFAX, Canada's grand old city on the east coast

QUICK FACTS

Halifax is the largest city on Canada's east coast and the capital of Nova Scotia.
Halifax 372,858 (13th largest in Canada)
Nova Scotia 935,962 (7th largest in Canada)

Canadian Prime Ministers who were from Nova Scotia: 3
Air distance between Halifax and Paris: 4881 km
Air distance between Halifax and Vancouver: 6168 km

Nova Scotia is latin for New Scotland.
The first documented Scottish settlement in America was here in 1621.
The flag reflects Nova Scotia's Scottish heritage. It is the inverse of the Scottish flag.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ova-Scotia.jpg

Along with Virginia, Nova Scotia was one of England's most important colonies in America, but it was first settled by the French in 1604. At various times, Nova Scotia was considered part of New England, a French colony, an English colony, and finally a founding member of the Canadian nation.

I hope to offer a glimpse into this often over looked region of the world. Due to history and war, Nova Scotia has always been the most heavily militarized region of Canada and remains so today. It's a province of universities and colleges, blueberries, and giant pumpkins. It's a rugged land with lush inland valleys, isolated French communities, and one of the oldest and largest African Canadian communities in the land. It's a culture tied to the sea in every way imaginable and where Canadian democracy began 250 years ago.

Unfortunately, I only made one day trip outside the capital, Halifax, but I hope you enjoy. (I've never taken photos before so be kind.)

I've just crossed the Bay of Fundy, home of the highest tides in the world. From my airplane window I spot the eastern end of the Annapolis Valley, Cape Split, and the massive mudflats near the Town of Wolfville, home of Acadia University. At the other end of the Annapolis Valley sits historic Annapolis Royal. Known as Port-Royal to France until being renamed in 1710 by Britain, the town is located in an area of the second oldest continuous European settlement in North America after St. Augustine, Florida.

Stanfield International Airport in Halifax. It was named in honour of Robert Stanfield, former Premier of Nova Scotia. Stanfield has won many international awards of excellence. Here's testament to that.

Stanfield handled 3,469,062 passengers in 2007. Notable airlines servicing Stanfield are Air Canada, American, Continental, Delta, Icelandair, Northwest, Porter, United, and Westjet. It's not a big airport, but it's very well designed. Some more accolades.

I'm assuming this is a replica of one of Alexander Graham Bell's many inventions. Bell invented many things besides the telephone like this contraption hanging from the ceiling. Bell was a proud Nova Scotian. His museum is in Baddeck, Nova Scotia. It is also where he and his wife are buried.

Not pretty, but a sign that Halifax is prospering again. New parking facilities are being built next to the airport.

Aaaaahhhhhhh!!! The freshest air you're ever going to breathe. A very subtle hint of salt foreshadows the Atlantic Ocean 20 kilometres ahead.

I jumped out the back to take a photo of the cars behind me. OK, that is a lie.

The Nova Scotia forest finally gives way to the city. This is where I turned off. I'm staying in Clayton Park, a heavily wooded suburb that broke ground in the 1970's. I forgot how ruggedly beautiful it was here. Beautiful homes amongst the forest, deer, and breathtaking views of the city and Bedford Basin below. Only a photo of my off ramp, I'm afraid.

Halifax is a peninsula. There are suburbs off the peninsula, the City of Darmouth across the harbour, and Bedford at the end of the Bedford Basin. This basin is the second largest ice free natural harbour in the world after Sydney, Australia. My first excursion to the city core starts at South Park Street in downtown Halifax. These houses are typical Halifax peninsula homes.

I decide to head down University Avenue towards my old alma mater, Dalhousie University. Nova Scotia is home to a whopping 11 universities. Halifax alone, boasts 6 universities. Dalhousie is the second largest university in Atlantic Canada after Memorial University in St. John's. This shot is actually looking back at where I just walked from. There's a very large old church next to this building, so they made an effort to compliment the architecture of the church.

This is one of the first Dalhousie University buildings I come across. I'm not sure what it is. As you can see, University Avenue is quite a handsome street. It features a wide centre meridian that is lined with beautiful old trees and a well manicured lawn.

Just passed this building is the Faculty of Medicine. Dalhousie is known for its graduate programs. The school has the oldest student population in Canada due to the number of people who flock here to do their Master's or Doctorate's. Dalhousie Law School is probably the most prestigious of them all.

This is the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building. It houses the main reference library for the Faculty of Medicine. Classes take place here as well. Tupper (July 2, 1821 – October 30, 1915) was a Canadian father of Confederation: as the Premier of Nova Scotia from 1864 to 1867, he led Nova Scotia into Confederation. He later went on to serve as the sixth Prime Minister of Canada in 1896, becoming the Canadian prime minister with the shortest term of office (69 days).

Opposite this courtyard is this building. I believe it is also part of the Faculty of Medicine. Not sure actually.

The next building down is Dalhousie Dentistry. In 1912 the Maritime Dental College joined Dalhousie and became the first Faculty of Dentistry at a Canadian university.

Here's a shot looking back down University Avenue. Here you can get a better look at the centre meridian that runs the length of the street.

Across from this is Fire Station #2.

I cross Robie Street and continue down University Avenue. Looking back, here's another shot of that station.

The Public Archives of Nova Scotia.

We enter the heart of Dalhousie University's campus. Dalhousie University is considered one of the "Canadian Ivies". The other Canadian Ivy League schools are McGill University, the University of Western Ontario, Queen's University, and the University of Toronto. In recent years, the University of British Columbia has also been labeled so. Dalhousie University is also a G13 school. The G13 represent the leading research intensive schools in the country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Ivies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_o...n_universities)

MANY MORE PHOTOS TO COME! STAY TUNED.

Last edited by isaidso; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
archy_

Likes (Received): 0

We are tuned.
Post more pics!
City centre and surroundings, street views etc.
archy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6222

An excellent tour, and one I have been looking forward to for a long time!! We are all hoping you have some more pictures stored away in the vault!
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 50592

Great pics
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
salvius

Likes (Received): 11

Great pics - I'm eagerly waiting for me (EDIT: me?! That should have said "More!); however, just as a note, Dalhousie Law is not considered the best in Canada since the 50s.

Last edited by salvius; October 10th, 2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Because I cannot express myself with words.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #6
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 20

i've been considering moving here, thanks for the reminder of how peaceful and isolated this gem is - you haven't even shown pictures of downtown, which is quite scenic and pleasant. beautiful, thanks a bunch!
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #7
Clay_Rock

Likes (Received): 2

Great photos!
Clay_Rock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind words. This is my first attempt at a photo thread and it was quite thrilling to see people actually interested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvius View Post
Great pics - I'm eagerly waiting for me; however, just as a note, Dalhousie Law is not considered the best in Canada since the 50s.
I should have been a little clearer. Dalhousie Law is the most highly regarded of all the graduate programs at Dalhousie University. Within Canada, Dalhousie Law isn't, perhaps, #1 any more, but is still considered one of the most prestigious in the land.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Habfanman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind words. This is my first attempt at a photo thread and it was quite thrilling to see people actually interested in it.

I should have been a little clearer. Dalhousie Law is the most highly regarded of all the graduate programs at Dalhousie University. Within Canada, Dalhousie Law isn't, perhaps, #1 any more, but is still considered one of the most prestigious in the land.
Thanks so much for this thread isaidso! I love Halifax and I'm looking forward to more pics. Hali is Canada's hidden secret!
Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #10
isaidso
the new republic

As I venture further into the heart of the campus, I cross over to the centre meridian to stroll beneath the trees. This is the new home of the Faculty of Computer Science which resulted from the amalgamation of the former School of Computer Science at the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) and the computer science division of the Department of Math, Stats and Computer Science at Dalhousie University on April 1, 1997. TUNS was a downtown Halifax university that is now part of Dalhousie University.

Next is the Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building. Rowe is a Halifax industrialist from the aerospace sector. This is the principle building of the Faculty of Management's School of Business Administration. I spent 4 years here, but in the crappy former building which has since been demolished.

Here's the Weldon Law Building, home to the prestigious Dalhousie Law School. My first boyfriend studied here. Nice German-Canadian boxer from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Lunenburg has World Heritage Site designation and is home of the Bluenose schooner which appears on the Canadian dime. No, my boyfriend wasn't a dog, but a real live person.

The Dalhouse Arts Centre which houses the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium. The Dalhousie Arts Centre grew from the seed of a bequest from Rebecca Cohn. Cohn was a Polish immigrant who came to Canada with her husband in 1906. Perseverant and intelligent, the Cohns prospered in Halifax. Money was bestowed on Dalhousie upon her death in 1942.

The Student Union Building is affectionately referred to simply as "The SUB". The Dalhousie book store is downstairs. The building houses the Dalhousie pub called the Grawood, a cafeteria, a student lounge, offices, student services, and is ground zero for FROSH WEEK. That's what orientation week is called at Dal. Nova Scotians tend to say "Dal" rather than Dalhousie. Dalhousie is home to many fraternities and sororities all located close to, or on campus.

University Avenue comes to an end. No cars beyond this point. Dalhousie University is Canada's 5th oldest university. Canada's oldest universities:

1. University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick (1785)
2. University of King's College, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1789)
3. Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1802)
4. University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PEI (1804)
5. Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1818)*
5. College Universitaire de St. Boniface, Winnipeg, Manitoba (1818)*
* Both established in the same year.

Dalhousie College was a non-denominational university founded by General George Ramsay, 9th Earl of Dalhousie, the Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia. Using money acquired from the duties collected during the occupation of parts of Maine in the War of 1812, Ramsay established Dalhousie as a college open to all people regardless of class or creed. At the laying of the cornerstone on May 22, 1820, Lord Dalhousie said that this University was "founded on the principles of religious tolerance." Dalhousie remained one of only three universities founded on secular constitutional premises until as late as the 1950s.

In the distance is the nerve centre of Dalhousie University, the Henry Hicks Academic Building. This was formerly known as the Arts and Administration building, but was renamed in 2002 in honour of a former President of Dalhousie. The older section of the campus is done in the same architectural style: Georgian.

To the immediate right sits Dalhousie's largest library. It is called the Killam Memorial Library. With more than half a million books and 25,000 journals in the Humanities, Sciences, Social Sciences, Education and Management, the Killam library is the largest academic library in the Maritimes.

I wish I had remembered to go inside. There is a massive square atrium in the centre complete with water features, foliage, a coffee shop, and a curtain of glass all the way to the top. It's done in a similar brutalist style. I've always been very fond of this structure. It anchors this area of the campus superbly.

I continue forward past some construction. Looks like they are building some new walkways in a diagonal pattern. Long over due, but better late than never.

To the left is this barricade. It looks suspiciously like remnants of a former Georgian building. You can easily spot where one of the windows once was. It showed foresight that they kept this important marker. It forces one to reflect on things like mortality and the importance of historical consideration.

This is the Chemistry building. I remember quite fondly my heavily liquored, and quite mad British chemistry professor. He was at least 140 years old. His office was in the attic which came equipped with chemistry apparatus. A bottle of fine scotch was a very good idea when visiting him a day before exams and attempting a bribe. He instructed all ill prepared students to do just that, but I never took him up on that lovely offer. I'm not sure whether he was joking or serious, but who needs scotch when you've got home brew on the go in your office?

Here's another shot of the Chemistry building a little further up. Dalhousie University certainly impresses architecturally. University buildings and campuses historically have been designed to stimulate the mind. Dalhousie provides this in spades.

I continue on towards the Arts and Administration building. I'll refer to it as that since I can't get used to that new name, Henry Hicks. I could have spent all day lying on that lawn reading and contemplating, but I had many photos still to take and the sun was beginning to sit low in the sky.

The MacDonald Library, my favourite building on campus. Unfortunately, I never had reason to spend time in here when I was a student. At night the rooms inside would be lit and I remember walking by many evenings admiring the beauty of its interior. It's a charming place to curl up with an old book on a crisp Nova Scotian autumn.

On the lawn in front of the MacDonald library sits this plaque. Those lands described were eventually lost to the USA and are in present day Maine.

Opposite the MacDonald library is the University Club. The building opened in January, 1922. It had a student common room, lecture rooms, faculty offices, a Great Hall, and an office for the school newspaper called the Gazette. Dalhousie's campus newspaper was founded in 1868, making it the oldest student newspaper in Canada and one of the oldest continuously-running student newspapers in America.

University Club was occupied by Arts until 1952. The Law School called the University Club home from then until it moved to its new building in 1967. Today the University Club is still the base of the Faculty Club; the Earl of Dalhousie Pub is in the basement, meeting rooms are on the first floor, and the Great Hall on the second floor is used for university and membership special events.

MacDonald library on the right, the Arts and Administration building on the left.

The Arts and Administration building.

The building is shaped like a "U". Each wing is identical. Here's one wing.

The back end of the same building.

Another shot. The A&A building on the left, the MacDonald library in the distance.

Looking back towards University Avenue from the steps of the A&A building.

The Dalhousie crest perched on top of the clock tower. Dal is a very serious school. Among universities in America, only Harvard, Yale, Princeton, McGill and the University of Toronto boast more Rhodes Scholars than Dalhousie.

A glimpse of Studley Field can be seen between the A&A building and the University Club.

JOIN ME LATER AS I CONTINUE ON MY JOURNEY TO STUDLEY FIELD, THE UNIVERSITY OF KING'S COLLEGE, AND BACK TO DOWNTOWN HALIFAX!!

Highcliff, geometarkv, Robi_damian liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; October 12th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #11
Indictable

Likes (Received): 24

oooo, love Halifax!
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #12
Comfortably Numb
Registered Snoozer

Likes (Received): 224

Very colonial British!

Beautiful!
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Taller, Better
Administrator

Good shot, isaidso... this is a textbook example of a proper Palladian window. Often the two little side windows get left out...

Do you have any photos of St Paul's, by any chance? It is the oldest Protestant church in Canada, being built in 1750. It is impressive that the new colony got a church up so fast, as European settlers had only arrived one year earlier!

tempus edax rerum

Highcliff liked this post
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #14
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Good shot, isaidso... this is a textbook example of a proper Palladian window. Often the two little side windows get left out...
Yes, and the proportions are so important. This building is impeccable in that regard. I absolutely adore MacDonald Library. Even though I'd usually opt for a modern residence, I could live in there and be 100% content. I'm thinking that after I post all of my Halifax photos you will be itching to pay a visit. I know how much you like Victorian and Georgian architecture. I grew up in a Victorian in London, but I've always loved Georgian more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

Do you have any photos of St Paul's, by any chance? It is the oldest Protestant church in Canada, being built in 1750. It is impressive that the new colony got a church up so fast, as European settlers had only arrived one year earlier!
Of course I have photos. I couldn't get inside, so they are only exteriors. I never thought about the time schedule in building that church, but that's a sharp observation. They wasted no time in getting it built. You seem to know a thing or two about this place! The St. Paul's photos are a good 100 photos later so you'll have to wait.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 11th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #15
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2035

Very interesting, very colonial, very attractive!

Excellent shots isaidso, keep up the good work!

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #16
isaidso
the new republic

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old October 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #17
isaidso
the new republic

The Dalhousie Tiger emblazoned in the middle of Studley Field.

They don't call it Studley Field for nothing. Fella throwing the pigskin around.

Studley Field bleachers. Dalhousie has 14 varsity teams including men’s and women’s teams in cross country, soccer, track and field, basketball, hockey, volleyball and swimming. Football is the one big sport noticeably absent from the list. The team was disbanded after the 1976 season due to budget cuts.

Dalhousie competes in the AUS Conference. There are 3 other Conferences in Canada representing Quebec, Ontario, and western Canada. Since 1990, the Dalhousie Tigers have brought home 127 AUS championships and 5 Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) team championships.

During the 2007-08 varsity season the Tigers captured six AUS championships including: men’s cross country, men’s volleyball, men’s swimming, women’s swimming, men’s track and field, and women’s track and field. Dalhousie also has dozens of intramural and club sports, from rock climbing and rugby to field hockey and sailing.

Looking back toward the main campus from Studley Field

Another shot looking Dalhousie Chemistry head on. The Maple Leaf flies proudly above.

I walk across campus towards the University of King's College. One last Dalhousie building before we depart. This is the Dunn Building.

The Sir James Dunn Science Building was named in honour of Sir James Dunn, who graduated from the Law school in 1898. When he died in 1956, his widow was interested in using the funds of the Sir James Dunn Foundation to support the Law school; Lady Dunn was advised that her money would be most useful in funding a building for Physics, Engineering and Geology.

That door deserves a close up.

I say farewell to the Black and Gold; Dalhousie University. My attention turns from one ivory tower to another.

Literally across the street is the University of King's College. The University of King's College claims to be Canada's oldest chartered university. It was founded with a strong religious affiliation and was generally modeled on older English universities which were residential, tutorial and Anglican. The University of New Brunswick was founded 4 years before King's, but did not receive its Royal Charter until 1827. Whatever! UNB is older. "The King's Quad". I'm not sure why it's called that.

King's is considered a very snooty school. It has the reputation as an institution where the rich send their kids who don't really require a paying job upon graduation. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but it's certainly a school of pedigree, gorgeous student dormitories and dining halls, and of course, steeped in tradition.

King's best known program is the Foundation Year Programme (FYP) for first year students, an intensive survey course on the history of western philosophy.

The University of King's College was founded by a group of United Empire Loyalists fleeing the American Revolution. King's was originally built in Windsor, Nova Scotia, but moved to its present location after it burned to the ground. King's student dormitories on the right and I believe a gymnasium on the left.

After the fire, the Carnegie Foundation offered King's money to rebuild, on the condition that they surrender their independence and enter into an affiliation with Dalhousie University. This is how King's ended up situated where it is. King's is now affiliated with Dalhousie, but fights complete amalgamation vigorously. Here's the King's flag.

When World War II broke out, King's was requisitioned by the military for the training of naval officers. King's functioned as a "stone frigate", providing a facility for navigation training before officers were sent to their ships. Another shot of the main building.

King's is a liberal arts university. Enrollment is 1100. Their motto is Deo Legi Regi Gregi, or For God, Law, King, People.

This is the King's Library. It's a relatively new structure, but they made an attempt to compliment the rest of the campus.

I go in for a closer look. Is this going to be a classic King's College moment? The answer is a resounding yes. He plays a hauntingly sad French song on the accordion while she dances gracefully by. OK, awkwardly by.

I say good bye to the University of King's College and head downtown.

Highcliff, geometarkv, Robi_damian liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; October 12th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #18
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'll happily wait for the pics of St Paul's! There is some really interesting use of field stone as a building material in Halifax. I knew absolutely nothing about Halifax prior to joining SSC.. a former member "Haligonian" did some photosets of it, and I learned a lot from him. Some day I will definitely visit! Plus Nova Scotians are amongst the friendliest people in the country!

tempus edax rerum

Old October 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #19
isaidso
the new republic

I have to admit that I was rather surprised how little most people west of the Maritimes knew about this region. It's surprising given the historical significance of the Maritimes to Canada.

You're right about Nova Scotians being exceedingly polite and well mannered. You hear that sort of compliment bestowed on people from every region of the world, but it's really true in this case. I didn't think anything of it till I went back there after a 6 year hiatus.

Last edited by isaidso; October 11th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old October 12th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #20
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Likes (Received): 3241

Looks quiet.

Tags
nova scotia