daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #21
chopsky

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
No offence to Sandton, but is that not where the White community hangs out?
If we were to show street life of pics of Sandton would all colors of the rainbow be present?
Just checking ...

By the way 1753 meters is a pretty high elevation. I bet the weather is great there, no?
I'm not sure why the race of a community would be 'offensive', but nonetheless, yes, theres many more whites in Sandton than there are in other areas of Johannesburg, but that's the reality of the situation. If you want to see the nicer areas, you need to look where there's more whites. There's still PLENTY of black people there. The street life would definitely be diverse.
chopsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #22
chopsky

philadweller, I just noticed you'd posted in that Cape Town thread almost 3 years ago! So, you heard that Johannesburg is safe and Cape Town is extremely dangerous? Who are your sources? I think they're getting their cities mixed up. Johannesburg is known as being the more dangerous of the two. I've lived in Cape Town for 24 years and so far nothing has happened to me. There's definitely crime, but I feel pretty safe here. Like many other cities, you just need to keep your whits about you and not veer off into certain areas. It mostly depends on where you choose to live.
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #23
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

And I thought you lived in Manhattan. I have to visit South Africa one day. I hear so many mixed things. Africa is a very complicated continent. I am fascinated by it though.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #24
chopsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
And I thought you lived in Manhattan.
That's a dream at the moment

Quote:
I have to visit South Africa one day. I hear so many mixed things. Africa is a very complicated continent. I am fascinated by it though.
Those mixed things will more than likely come from people who left the country. Usually people trying to justify their move, which is sometimes caused by a single bad experience. Listen to what the tourists have to say (as you'd be a tourist as well). I've never heard a single person visit here and leave even remotely disappointed (assuming they didn't stay miles away from everything without a car). Friends from overseas who have visited have told me that it's the best city they've ever been to. But yes, Africa as a continent is VERY complicated (and by that, I mean often times uncivilised and crap). Cape Town however is NOTHING like the rest of Africa. Outside of the relatively crappy public transport and some vagrants (although I probably saw just as many, if not more in Santa Monica!), it's a first world, english-speaking city. You can still get the african culture here plus many other unique cultures, but as a city, it's top notch. Plus, as an American, it's pretty cheap.
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #25
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Hey I live 16 miles from Miami. I feel like I am living in South America just being in Fort Lauderdale. South and Central America, like Africa has its inconsistencies with regards to infrastructure, religon, culture and economy. I am not saying that America is homogenized but Venezuela hates us and Colombia loves us. I would not exactly recommend a drive from Texas to Argentina. I'm glad there is a Cape Town and a Cairo.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #26
chopsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Hey I live 16 miles from Miami. I feel like I am living in South America just being in Fort Lauderdale. South and Central America, like Africa has its inconsistencies with regards to infrastructure, religon, culture and economy. I am not saying that America is homogenized but Venezuela hates us and Colombia loves us. I would not exactly recommend a drive from Texas to Argentina. I'm glad there is a Cape Town and a Cairo.
After reading threads like this, I'm beginning to think that the person who told you that Johannesburg is just as safe as Chicago, may be right!
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #27
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
philadweller, I just noticed you'd posted in that Cape Town thread almost 3 years ago! So, you heard that Johannesburg is safe and Cape Town is extremely dangerous? Who are your sources?
According to FOREIGN POLICY the murder rate in Cape Town is 2nd worst in the world.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...al_of_the.html
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #28
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Great shots, only problem is, you can still find a lot of bad street corners in Joburg's CBD, and it was quite an eye opener for me.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #29
Habfanman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

It's great to see tha Jo'burg is making a comeback. Considering the massive social and political upheavals that South Africa has experienced, I think she's doing well. Give it time, a much stronger and even more beautiful city will emerge!
Habfanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #30
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

To be honest the photos arent flattering but maybe its showing the real jnb, so i commend ya for it and showing the improvemnts. south africans in australia all seem to say to bypass jnb and go straight to cape town as its a little safer and nice too apparently.
melbstud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #31
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 197

for those who wondered... Joburg's murder rate has dropped consistantly since 1995.

My new appartment - Killarney Neighbourhood. The building is an art deco heritage building - 75years old. And I can walk around without fear.

Crazy hippie car in Killarney. Note the chicken on the roof... weird. The car was gone the next day.

Construction of the new high speed rail link between Joburg and Pretoria. The rail network will have 10 stations along its 81km route. An integrated rapid bus system will support the Gautrain.

A group of Nepalese Parliamentarians learn more about the Constitutional Court in Hillbrow

The Johannesburg Stock Exchange in Sandton... Sandton is now where the money is. The mix? People from all over the world. This is not racial apartheid anymore, rather economic apartheid. The JSE is also suffering with the rest of the stock markets...

Waiting for the bus, Braamfontein
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #32
Jakes1
Jakes1

La Rose Hotel in Hillbrow - Before

After

Rand Clinic, Hillbrow

The refurbished Chelsey Hotel - Hillbrow

Trees - Hillbrow

Lily Ave - Hillbrow

New Pavements, street furniture, lights, bins - Hillbrow

Some random street scenes - Hillbrow

Transport Square - there used to be an illegal butchery on this square... cows where slaughtered in the street! Today, only these cows remain.

The Fashion District, eastern CBD - home to many upcoming designers - don't think high fashion though!
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #33
Jakes1
Jakes1

Taking pics from nelson mandela bridge - pic by pule

Refurbished apartment block - bree street, CBD

Sandton CBD on a rainy day

Old October 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #34
Jakes1
Jakes1

Anglo's building, Marshall street - Johannesburg CBD

ABSA Bank in main street

Some areas are still not very, uhm, gentrified

Crossing the bridge into newtown

Eland Sculpture - Braamfontein

Greek Orthodox Church - Hillbrow

Old and new - Fox88 building next to Rand Club building (Loveday Street)

Reflections - Diagonal Street

Mosque, Church Street

The Diamond Building, Diagonal Street

Mapungubwe hotel, Anderson Street

Old October 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #35
Jakes1
Jakes1

All these pics taken by Pule!

Juta Street Tree Sculptures

Johannesburg Central Station

Johannesburg Civic Theatre, Ballet Company and Park

Nelson Mandela Bridge
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #36
chopsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiemann View Post
According to FOREIGN POLICY the murder rate in Cape Town is 2nd worst in the world.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...al_of_the.html
The problem is that they include the townships and a certain suburb or two that are miles out when they refer to Cape Town. Crime there is absolutely awful. Inside Cape Town itself the crime is no worse than any other American city, nor amongst most of the surrounding suburbs and towns.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #37
Jakes1
Jakes1

Pule's pics

New streetscaping, hillbrow

Johannesburg, as seen from the east

Broadway Loft Apartments, Braamfontein

Constitutional Court - Hillbrow

First National Bank's new building - Western Suburbs of Joburg

Sandton

Traffic
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #38
Jakes1
Jakes1

Pule, again

Rainy CBD

Park in the eastern part of the city

Zoo Lake - Northern Suburbs

Old October 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #39
Jakes1
Jakes1

Melville: This suburb has suffered from crime and grime - and now a massive redevelopment is set to follow. Security cameras, new street lighting etc. Other similar restaurant neighbourhoods include Parkhurst (the trendiest one), Greenside (next to Parkhurst), Norwood (that turned a bit more bland after they dropped a shopping mall in the middle of it all).

Thanks again for the pics Pule

Old October 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #40
Jakes1
Jakes1

Thanks to Luf, a picture of Sandton (the main financial centre of Johannesburg - after the decentralisation of the CBD). Sandton is currently experiencing a construction boom, but most of the buildings are in the 15- 25F range. A couple of 80F rumours are out there, but I think with the current global situation this remains a dream.

Rosebank, also thanks to Luf. Similar to Sandton, but on a smaller scale. Rosebank lies between the CBD and Sandton. Very upmarket, very cosmopolitan - this is where you find people from all creeds and colours. Look at the density of the urban forest, and spot the Purple Jacaranda trees inbetween!