daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:42 PM   #121
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Nice pics Jakes.

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM   #122
t-bang!

Likes (Received): 3

wow! what a security conscious post there Jakes great pics though, thanks
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:22 PM   #123
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 197

Thought it would be interesting to see some of the reactive approaches to the crime situation. Guards, patrols, alarms, cameras, walls, electrified fences, lazer beams...

Yet many other communities in Johannesburg find that simple things like knowing your neighbours and talking to community leaders have a positive impact regarding crime. I think what compelled me to take the pictures was when I realized how I became accustomed with guards, and walls, and gates...
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:24 PM   #124
t-bang!

Likes (Received): 3

yeah we've become used to big walls
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #125
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 429

Don't overdo it though, we don't want people to get the wrong impression. You know how easy people in some countries are spooked.
Anyways... Check out CNN Thursday morning at 9:30am CAT/CET (I think! ), Hugh Masekela is doing the "My City My Life" thing on CNN on Johannesburg, should make some cool viewing and be some good positive publicity.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM   #126
Jakes1
Jakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
Don't overdo it though, we don't want people to get the wrong impression. You know how easy people in some countries are spooked.
Anyways... Check out CNN Thursday morning at 9:30am CAT/CET (I think! ), Hugh Masekela is doing the "My City My Life" thing on CNN on Johannesburg, should make some cool viewing and be some good positive publicity.
Well, you cant really overdo reality, can you? I love Johannesburg, and I have never encountered any crime in the city (different story in Pretoria). However, the reality is that all houses in the north have high walls, gates and electric fences.

Apart from that, I think my pictures show a different side, with large green open spaces, beautiful trees etc.

The city might have a lot of problems and challenges, but man, what an exciting place to live!
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM   #127
Jakes1
Jakes1

OK, some more pics. not the best quality or composition, because they are taken in very bright light with a very battered cell phone.

The goal is not to win photograpy scholarships, but rather to show forumers streetlife in some of the neighbourhoods in Jozi.

First stop, Millpark. This industrial area went through a bit of a boom during the 1970's, with a couple of highrises going up. Holiday Inn opened, a small shopping centre and a ghastly 20+floor structure was put up during the same time. The growth was not indefinate. the area fell into decline. The buildings were empty. Holiday Inn was on its last legs. The shopping centre closed. Some developers saw the opportunity, and 44 Stanley Ave was born. The shopping centre reopened. Holiday Inn got a make-over. Several student apartment complexes were built. Office space filled up.

An example of the ugly-tecture in the area!

Stanley Ave

And then, the refinery and 44 Stanley with add agencies, model agencies, designers, jazz clubs, interior decorators, gourmet eateries, antique dealers etc.

Bean There - the best place for a good cup of coffee. They roast the coffee in the shop, it smells divine!

This is the Refinery (creative industries fill the space). In the background you see Atlas Film Studios (most local soapies are shot here). And further back you can see the black gas cilinders for Egoli Gas.
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #128
Jakes1
Jakes1

Next stop, Melville. Melville is the place for yuppies and hippies, a rather eclectic mix. A wide range of restaurants cater the main strip. More pretentious neighbourhoods have sprung up all over Jozi (Greenside, Parktown North and Parkhurst), all overing great restaurants and vibey nightlife.

Melville is the true spot though. It has gotten a bit more grimey (there are major redevelopments afoot). The restaurants are good, but not as glitzy as their northern neighbours. Petty criminals have spoiled the area a bit, with drug deals etc. But Melville will survive. I think it just needs a good scrub!

This one strip has a pharmacy, a bead shop and a tatoo parlour.

Zimbabweans in front of the bead shop, where they source the beads to make the most colourful and impressive works of art!

The golf tea room (it even features in a local soapie, 7de Laan - 7th Ave). It is run by a Pakistani family, that recently left LA in the USA.

Mozambican Food

Portuguese

Thai

Japanese

Fusion

Indian and Chinese
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM   #129
Jakes1
Jakes1

My favorite bookstore

Nike Store

Walking down 7th

Scala: the barber shop (it has also been on this strip for decades, and also features on the TV soap opera 7de Laan)

One of the many little quirky shops

A residential street just off the main strip. If you look carefully, you can see the Johannesburg CBD in the background.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:12 AM   #130
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
Well, you cant really overdo reality, can you? I love Johannesburg, and I have never encountered any crime in the city (different story in Pretoria). However, the reality is that all houses in the north have high walls, gates and electric fences.

Apart from that, I think my pictures show a different side, with large green open spaces, beautiful trees etc.

The city might have a lot of problems and challenges, but man, what an exciting place to live!
Exactly my point actually though, want people to not just picture Joburg as high walls (insinuating crime)... I want them to see the bigger picture, but you are doing that, so great job. Want people to see it as the exciting economic heartland it is... as crime is a small part of it, but is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Big city common sense, then you're fine in Jozi.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #131
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Umm, how's it a dead city? I guess you could say you'd probably "be dead" if you walked around on the streets with a BlackBerry, and a Rolex.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM   #132
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
Thought it would be interesting to see some of the reactive approaches to the crime situation. Guards, patrols, alarms, cameras, walls, electrified fences, lazer beams...

Yet many other communities in Johannesburg find that simple things like knowing your neighbours and talking to community leaders have a positive impact regarding crime. I think what compelled me to take the pictures was when I realized how I became accustomed with guards, and walls, and gates...
we have the same security here in Canada

no smash and grabs though

nice pics

I remember seeing some guard towers when i stayed in Midrand - maybe someone can get a pic of one of those
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM   #133
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
Umm, how's it a dead city? I guess you could say you'd probably "be dead" if you walked around on the streets with a BlackBerry, and a Rolex.
These days they steal brains, but the fortunate part is that they replace it with a better ones. Come to Joburg and they will definately help you with a better brain.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #134
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
Did you somehow not see the "?" in the thread title? It was a question aimed at the nutters who say it is, not a statement.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM   #135
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

The place looks scary for some reason, no offence. Just IMO i wouldnt want to be walking those streets alone.
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM   #136
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5632

Dang, some people have low fear levels.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #137
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardoga View Post
The place looks scary for some reason, no offence. Just IMO i wouldnt want to be walking those streets alone.

Last edited by Mr_kiwi_fruit; April 10th, 2009 at 08:49 AM.
Mr_kiwi_fruit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #138
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardoga View Post
I'm scared of rides but would do anything to find mself there every friday. I love the place deeply but I guess we entitles to different opinions. I guess the still to be updated info that you got about this city is the one that makes you feel scared. But you not the only and even some of my friends who are staying outside fo Jozi get to love it once they are there. Things have changed for good and it's a work of posetive South Africans who just only know how to complain but get their hands dirty. We here and we making a difference and that's why our city is working. We part of the change and feel prod about it.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #139
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
I'm scared of rides but would do anything to find mself there every friday. I love the place deeply but I guess we entitles to different opinions. I guess the still to be updated info that you got about this city is the one that makes you feel scared. But you not the only and even some of my friends who are staying outside fo Jozi get to love it once they are there. Things have changed for good and it's a work of posetive South Africans who just only know how to complain but get their hands dirty. We here and we making a difference and that's why our city is working. We part of the change and feel prod about it.

Last edited by Mr_kiwi_fruit; April 10th, 2009 at 08:50 AM.
Mr_kiwi_fruit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #140
Jakes1
Jakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_kiwi_fruit View Post
Live it, feel it, ignorance is bliss - we all know that you haven't been outside of South Africa .. in the land of the blind, one eye is king Glad that you are happy Pule, happy la la land. All the best to you and your folk.
What light from yonder window breaks? oh, wait, it is a beast, slouching towards Bethlehem to be born. Kiwi, my fruity little gnat on the windscreen of objectivity... To each his own mate.

I am glad you walked the dangerous streets and survived. Sjoe, that makes you a real man! you are not objective, your bitterness is heartwrenching, and for some reason you started crawling out of the woodwork again! Feeling homesick? Or just bitter? La vie est tres cruel, n'est pas!?

We can talk again when you at least try to be objective. Until then, please refrain from bothering the South Africans that you clearly hate. Your contributions are far more helpful in other areas.

And beware, you might find that you irritate your fellow countrymen with your cynical and depressing tales of the deep, dark, dead streets of Johannesburg. And how you survived walking down the block. A tad boring old chap.