daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #81
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Its easy here. All road from 1 to 11 radiate from Budapest,going clockwise,except for 8 and 9,which neither start nor touch Budapest,but are horizontal roads,aimed to provide bypass opportunity of the city.
Double-digit roads are still main roads,but are secondary,and branch off from the primary ones. Triple digit roads are "minor" roads,but are still indicated. Roads with more digits are not signed,except for important cases.
Motorways are signposted with an "M" prefix,and follow main roads 1-9. 2-digit motorways are branches of the single-digit motorways,and dont really follow main roads. Obvious exception is M0,as there's no main road 0.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #82
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

A wee bit more of this.

The Dutch system of red motorway singnposts and orange-ish national routes seemed sensible to me, there are numbers at reasonable intervals en route, and I had few problems navigating even not-so-major routes. E routes are systematically posted.

Advantages: Sensible structure in difficult conditions.
Disadvantages: I didn't really see any.
Improvements: None I could see.

It should be noted that during my half-year in the Netherlands, my main means of transport were on rails. I didn't drive all that much in urban areas, so someone else might feel the need to complain

Greece:

Is quite easy to describe: Greem motorway numbers (no letters), E routes posted on motorways, plus a few randomly spread along other roads. National road numbers? Only on maps...

Advantages: Reasonable motorway numbering.
Disadvantages: Where to start? Very difficult to get around, even major non-motorway routes aren't particularly easy to navigate.
Improvements: Basically, get some numbers up, already!!! The system is non-existant, so anything would be an improvement...

France:

Red Ax motorways, red Nx national roads (both 1-3 digits), yellow Dx (1-4 digits) regional roads. Signposted en route and at distance markers. E numbers systematically posted. In theory, sensible, and as most motorways go, it works. However, as many D roads are true quality, better than the national roads and that some renumbering makes a mess of things (see ChrisZwolle's earlier post, for instance...), the logic is not always apparent. Another example: Both north and south of the Pont de Normandie, there's a A numbered motorway (A29). The bridge itself is not a motorway (due to bicycle/pedestrian lanes, I guess). Not itself a problem, but when it's numbered D something, it's guaranteed to confuse a driver or two...

Advantages: In theory, logical and systematical.
Disadvantages: Execution and regional stubbornness.
Improvements: Work out when to use national numbers, replace key D routes with N routes.

I'll finish somewhat later. A few nations to evaluate yet...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #83
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

I agree totally with the comments made about the road numbering system in Greece and I have referred to the thing, in a number of messages in the Greek Highways and Hellenic Agora forums. Unfortunately, most people in Greece either do not understand the importance of a coherent road numbering system or cannot understand the points I raised. From my part, I feel a bit ashamed for my country to be the ONLY ONE in Europe with such a road numbering mess.

National roads have been numbered with 1 or 2 digits (NR 1 – NR99) by a governmental decision in 1963. Of course there are hundreds of kilometres constructed since then. Some of these new roads were classified as national roads but some of them have remained unnumbered. The 1963 system had left quite a significant amount of numbers unused, probably reserved for future use (namely 10, 11, 19, 23, 32, 37, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49, 52, 61, 73, 93, 96 and 98), but just a few of these numbers were assigned since then (10, 19 and 73). As the system is antiquated, road numbers of national roads are almost non-existent.

When the first Greek motorways were constructed, it was decided to use the German shield on the signs in order to indicate the motorway number. Most primary motorways took the number of the national road they have replaced or bypassed (A1, A2, A5, A7, A8 and A9). The sole exception is Attiki Odos (the ring motorway of Athens) which has been numbered A6 although NR 6 is far away to the north and its branches which have been numbered following a "tree system" (A61, A62 etc.). In that case, somebody has also decided to use a 3-digit number (A642), without any need for it. The “tree system” has also introduced to branches of other main motorways (A1 has a branch A11 under construction, A2 has branches A27 and A29), but the system has not been verified in total yet. For example, the Northern Crete Motorway has been signed as A90, although it is not a branch of the A9.

Funny things appear on the signing of the Athens to Korinthos motorway. Some shields show 8, while some others show 8A (surely they have used the number of the "new national road" replaced by the motorway – NR 8 refers to the "old national road).

The shields on the signs have followed the German or Swiss system, without indicating the prefix A in front of the number, because motorways are a distinctive class of roads. Therefore all shields on signs on the A1 show 1, on A6 show 6 etc. However in 2003, a whole 10 years after the first green motorway signs appeared in Greece, a bureaucrat who probably had never traveled around, issued a governmental decision that the prefix A should be included on all motorway numbering shields. Up to now only Egnatia Odos does so in the case of the A2, A27 and A29 motorways.

By the way although all motorway signs used to have capital case letters, the same decision indicated that a mixed case system should be used; also although the Greek Highway Code has already a shield for national roads with a light blue number on white background the same decision states that national roads should be signed on blue rectangles with white numbers! Have we got so much money in order to replace so many signs?

The funny situation is also reflected to road map publishers, where they do not know what to use and there are a lot of differences between maps, while others like Michelin try to avoid the problem shows only European numbers. So unless a comprehensive (and updated) system is introduced it is better not to show any numbers at all.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #84
drugastrona
Autostradowy Leming

Likes (Received): 3875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz
In Poland:

Motorways, prefixed with A, blue signs , also E-numbers displayed

Expressways, prefixed with S, green signs, also E-numbers displayed

National Roads, from 1 to 99, prefixed with DK , but on signs there is only a number, green signs also E-numbers displayed

Voivodship Roads, from 100 to 999, prefixed with DW, but on signs there is only a
number, green signs
I would add that in Poland the numbers of national (domestic) roads depend on their direction: that is, roads running more or less north-south have odd numbers, whereas roads running more or less east-west have even numbers. Is that a general rule worldwide, or does it occur only in Poland?
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #85
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Non-motorways national roads in Your country

As many central and eastern European countries don’t have many highways, I’d like to make a thread beling less of a show-off, but showing how do actually „regular“ national roads in these countries look.

First, Poland:

Two main unofficial types of national roads(droga krajowa):

1. numbered 1 – around 20 – more important, with emergency lanes
2. 20 – 99 – less impotrant, no emergency lanes

Type DK 6 Szczecin – Gdańsk
by pmaciej7

Old October 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #86
PLH

DK 1 Katowice - Gdańsk

(all pics here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=109)

In Łódź

Now you see what we need the emergancy lanes for

From this place onwards there is the A1 highway already:
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #87
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19401

To be clear; many people don't see a "highway" exclusively as a motorway/freeway road. Moreoften a highway is just like the roads you've pictured
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #88
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Nice pics PLH, does the DK1 have lots of traffic lights?
-edit- non-motorway seems to be better.
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #89
PLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
non-motorway seems to be better.
OK, it's your turn, Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Nice pics PLH, does the DK1 have lots of traffic lights?
Well, most lights are on Katowice - Częstochowa section, and the "best" one is Częstochowa - Piotrków Trybunalski - no more than 3 lights at 80 km(this section will be upgraded to motorway standard soon)

Other sections have some lights, most of them in bigger cities, but it does not affect the flow of traffic much.
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #90
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Now you see what we need the emergancy lanes for
Is it legal to drive on them? I mean, the line is broken.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #91
PLH

No it's not legal, even if the line is broken, but it surely fastens the trafic to flow.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #92
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

don't you think that it's better to post pics and infos of national roads on each country motorway thread?i think when someone wants some infos about roads in romania for example it's easier to visit only the 'romanian motorways' thread.otherwise it will be hard to find infos about a specific country in a thread where there are infos about so many countries.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #93
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Well, if a discussion about a certain country becomes too big, Chris can always move it to a new or existing thread
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #94
PLH

That's one point, another is that this thread would be like no more than 20 pics from one country where such roads are the base of transport just to compare them.