daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

View Poll Results: What is your impression of the South?
A scene from "Gone With The Wind" or "Inherit the Wind" with very old-timey people and values 16 13.91%
A very edgy and hip region with beautiful scenery and lots of both population and economic growth 34 29.57%
A very plain region with dismal, boring cities, backwards people, and very slow growth statistics 45 39.13%
Other. Will Explain. 20 17.39%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #81
hudkina

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
We've already discussed your lack of knowledge on the subject of different accents...no need to go there again. I'm not a southerner...I've lived here for several years but have lived in other places as well, including London. I've traveled extensively - yes, in Michigan too - and have experienced rural as well as urban areas OF MICHIGAN. I don't consider myself an outsider, but that is a very "country" attitude toward anyone not born and raised in your area.

I'm not gonna beat this horse anymore. There is no educating some people who are entrenched in their ways and small views of the world. I just now let it go...how about you do the same...
So the idea that you've traveled through Michigan makes you an expert on the state? I've also traveled [driven] through Atlanta and Georgia plenty of times, but I definitely consider myself an outsider.

You are very good at non-answers and derogatory rhetoric, but that doesn't change the fact that you probably don't know enough about Michigan or many states to consider yourself an "insider". And even if you aren't an outsider, that means you should be even more capable of describing this so-called division between "country" and "non-country" dialects within Michigan.

Also, what are my small views? The fact that I made a joke about Indiana and Georgia being south of me? The fact that I honestly can't hear a difference between two Michigan dialects that apparently are so obvious to you?

What is your definition of "country"? Is the "country" accent the same across the U.S.? Are you saying that people who live in rural Michigan have the same "country" dialect as people who live in rural Kentucky, Georgia, New Hampshire? Where would you draw the line between "country" and "non-country" accents? Since you are so versed on the subject these should be easy questions to answer. Why don't you enlighten my "small views"...
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #82
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
So the idea that you've traveled through Michigan makes you an expert on the state? I've also traveled [driven] through Atlanta and Georgia plenty of times, but I definitely consider myself an outsider.

You are very good at non-answers and derogatory rhetoric, but that doesn't change the fact that you probably don't know enough about Michigan or many states to consider yourself an "insider". And even if you aren't an outsider, that means you should be even more capable of describing this so-called division between "country" and "non-country" dialects within Michigan.

Also, what are my small views? The fact that I made a joke about Indiana and Georgia being south of me? The fact that I honestly can't hear a difference between two Michigan dialects that apparently are so obvious to you?

What is your definition of "country"? Is the "country" accent the same across the U.S.? Are you saying that people who live in rural Michigan have the same "country" dialect as people who live in rural Kentucky, Georgia, New Hampshire? Where would you draw the line between "country" and "non-country" accents? Since you are so versed on the subject these should be easy questions to answer. Why don't you enlighten my "small views"...

Great job...you really let go of this argument. You just don't get it and the response above proves that. Turn to someone else, because you're not looking for enlightenment - you're looking for argument. Bye-bye...
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:49 AM   #83
hudkina

Likes (Received): 65

I'll quote myself:

Quote:
You are very good at non-answers and derogatory rhetoric
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM   #84
snookums
history craver

Likes (Received): 0

This thread is fuckin funny! Just like something out of the Southeast forum.

Does this cat have a Southern accent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mbeSAmUP4
snookums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM   #85
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
I'll quote myself:
Not interested...bye-bye.
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM   #86
FIDEL CASTRO
BANNED

Mate, you are a very sensitive guy.
FIDEL CASTRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM   #87
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDEL CASTRO View Post
Mate, you are a very sensitive guy.

You think you can determine ANYTHING from reading statements in a forum? That is so immature...
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM   #88
Somnifor
Chef beyond the wall

Likes (Received): 492

In Minnesota there are three accents: standard Midwestern, Minnesotan and Iron Range/Duluth which is similar to the Minnesotan but more Swedish. The demarcation has more to do with what percentage of the population has Scandinavian heritage rather than a rural/urban split. For example the Lindstrom/Chisago Lakes area which is in the northern exurbs of the Twin Cities and is heavily Scandinavian has stronger Minnesota accents than a lot of towns way out in the boonies, so does Duluth which a city in it's own right.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM   #89
snookums
history craver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I totally agree. Rural American life is similar from region to region (although, were you to have visited rural New Hampshire and Maine in February, you'd notice some lifestyle differences related to snowy, cold winters). It's the political and social views held by those living in rural New England which differentiates this region from the rural South.
What is interesting to me is the fact that New England was settled by very strict, conservative Puritans, while the South was settled by the easy-going Anglicans. New England got more and more liberal and democratic with their social and political views over time because of early industrialization and immigration. The South went the other way because of the religious revivals by traveling preachers from New England. By the 1830's or so, the "Southern Baptists" were the dominant religion in the South, controlling politics, policies, etc.

The closest thing to the original New England Puritans are probably the Mormons out west as many of them are descendants of the old WASP New Englanders. And in a weird way the South is closer to old New England than current New England is to its old self.

What makes this even more interesting is the fact that old New England
and even much of current rural northern New England and most Southern whites are of the same English/Scottish/Anglo-Saxon/Anglo-Celtic stock
Basically most Southern whites and northern New England whites descend from the same peoples.
This is in contrast with the Southern New England and Mid-Atlantic whites who are of mostly Irish, Italian and Jewish descent.
There are of course many other racial and ethnic groups in all regions, including blacks, asians and latinos. But I am specifically talking about the settlers and majority peoples (whites) here.

http://www.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/purdef.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
snookums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #90
bayviews

Likes (Received): 23

Thick local & regional accents are generally the product of demographic, cultural, & social isolation. For a large part of their history, particularly during the first two-thirds of the 20th century, most of the southern states were sources of net-outmigration.

Over the past several decades, the tide of migration has reversed as the south has become a destination for domestic migrants, & most recently immigrants. As a consequence, at least around the major metropolitan centers, the accents & other others that made the south so distinctive are gradually fading.

While the US as a whole has become more like the South, the South has become more like the rest of the US.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #91
gaviidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
Also keep in mind that SRG is from Oklahoma, which is just as much a part of the Plains as is it is a part of the South.
There really does seem to be a lot of speculation lately as to whether or not Oklahoma is in the South. I would be inclined to say that it is. What do other people think?
gaviidae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #92
Surrealplaces

I chose other as my vote. IMO the South fits into the three categories depending on where you are.

That said, I've been all over the U.S. to every region, and you could sum the other regions up the same way.....yes even the western coastal states.
Surrealplaces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM   #93
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Likes (Received): 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviidae View Post
There really does seem to be a lot of speculation lately as to whether or not Oklahoma is in the South. I would be inclined to say that it is. What do other people think?
As far as I'm concerned, if you've got a Southern accent, you're Southern. People in Oklahoma have Southern accents.

One of my aunts via marriage to my uncle is from Muskogee, Oklahoma, and she's got one of the thickest Southern accents I have ever heard. She's lived in Minnesota for almost 30 years now, and she still says things like "y'all" and "howdy" which just cracks me up! It's extremely rare to hear people with Southern accents up here, so you can definitely hear her coming from a mile away.
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM   #94
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

I agree. You will find extremely thick accents in Eastern Oklahoma.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #95
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 3571

I hear southern accents everytime I'm in upstate New York.
Hia-leah JDM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #96
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
I hear southern accents everytime I'm in upstate New York.
what?
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #97
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 3571

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
what?
I don't know how much clearer I can make that statement for you.
Hia-leah JDM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #98
Xusein

Likes (Received): 2339

If you do, they're not natives.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #99
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
I don't know how much clearer I can make that statement for you.
people in upstate new york do not speak with southern accents. not at all. some are a little country sounding (in the rural areas) but nothing even remotely similar to a southern twang.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #100
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

Out towards Buffalo, people sound like they're from Michigan, pretty much. Lots of raised vowels. There's definitely a less cosmopolitan, working-class sound to it, but it's not southern.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote