daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM   #201
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But sitting in a country where you're either an immigrant, a permanent resident, or a long-term visitor, insisting that things like Interstate shields that the vast majority of people you're sharing the roads with are used to be changed for no better reason than that you're used to something different is arguably in itself ignorant....
What, you try to argue my point by implying that I am less of a US citizen than you are? Is that all you could come up with in this discussion?

When you can think of any other argument than "we're used to it, so it shouldn't be changed", please let me know.
__________________
Go Cougs!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #202
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
???

!!!
It seems that you do not understand the core difference between these two signs. The bottom sign "Don Not Enter" is internationally used to indicate that you cannot enter because the street is one way (i.e., wrong way for you). The first sign simply means that you cannot drive straight for whatever reason - the street closed to traffic, you cannot drive through the intersection, etc.
__________________
Go Cougs!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #203
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
An "All Way" stop sign means that everybody in the intersection has a stop sign. Just like any other stop sign, you must come to a complete stop before proceeding. If two cars in different roads make it to the intersection at the same time, the car on the left always has the right of way after both cars come to a complete stop.
When both stop at the same time, the vehicle on the RIGHT has priority.

Also, I wonder when we'll see the words being removed from 'YIELD' and 'DO NOT ENTER' signs....

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #204
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
The first sign simply means that you cannot drive straight for whatever reason - the street closed to traffic, you cannot drive through the intersection, etc.
um, ok we already have signs for that purpose.




__________________
[intentionally left blank]

Last edited by brewerfan386; July 4th, 2010 at 01:20 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #205
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Also, I wonder when we'll see the words being removed from 'YIELD' and 'DO NOT ENTER' signs....
No, Mike, those signs without words would seem foreign and unnecessary to some people on this forum
__________________
Go Cougs!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #206
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
um, ok we already have signs for that purpose.
Brewer fan, is there a sign that indicates that you cannot drive straight without specifying the reason? Not to my knowledge. Next time, you can at least post only relevant pictures to save some space and our time.
__________________
Go Cougs!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #207
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
No, Mike, those signs without words would seem foreign and unnecessary to some people on this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Brewer fan, is there a sign that indicates that you cannot drive straight without specifying the reason? Not to my knowledge. Next time, you can at least post only relevant pictures to save some space and our time.
Everyone here is entitled to there own opinions. (I wasn't insulting you, I was only talking about the signs)
__________________
[intentionally left blank]

Last edited by brewerfan386; July 4th, 2010 at 02:25 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #208
engenx4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,017
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
It seems that you do not understand the core difference between these two signs. The bottom sign "Don Not Enter" is internationally used to indicate that you cannot enter because the street is one way (i.e., wrong way for you). The first sign simply means that you cannot drive straight for whatever reason - the street closed to traffic, you cannot drive through the intersection, etc.
the first is better
engenx4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #209
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

The Europeans also have a sign that means 'no entry' - it is a red circle with nothing but blank white inside. It appears to be most often used on roads that have long-term closures.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #210
Tom 958
Registered User
 
Tom 958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: near Atlanta
Posts: 786
Likes (Received): 163

I just got back from a trip to St. George Island, FL, and... what a mess!

As previously noted, in the US there's been a trend toward using two different yellows for warning signs: the traditional golden/orangey yellow for roadway and vehicular hazards and a bright limey-greenish yellow for hazards involving pedestrians:
image hosted on flickr


I guess a pedestrian must've been killed on St. George because now there are yield signs-- including advance warning signs-- for just about every crosswalk in the 'downtown" area. Worse, they all use the old color, so you can't tell whether you need to be on alert for vehicles or pedestrians. There are even shark's teeth painted on the opposite side of intersections from where the crosswalks are. And, to make matters even worse, there's a bicycle/pedestrian path adjacent to the main east-west road that uses full-size, standard signs. It's hard to tell wtf's going on, and I'd bet a lot of the new signs are ignored or disobeyed out of confusion.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #211
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
What, you try to argue my point by implying that I am less of a US citizen than you are? Is that all you could come up with in this discussion?

When you can think of any other argument than "we're used to it, so it shouldn't be changed", please let me know.
That's not what I was saying, and I didn't know whether you were a citizen or not. What I AM saying is that it is YOUR argument that seems to boil down to assuming that the European way is better. Forgive the hell out of me for saying that "we do it that way in Europe" is not sufficient reason for changing things and for finding that actually rather condescending.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #212
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Next time, you can at least post only relevant pictures to save some space and our time.
Another example of condescension....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #213
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That's not what I was saying, and I didn't know whether you were a citizen or not. What I AM saying is that it is YOUR argument that seems to boil down to assuming that the European way is better. Forgive the hell out of me for saying that "we do it that way in Europe" is not sufficient reason for changing things and for finding that actually rather condescending.
Nowhere did I say that the European way is better because it is European. In all the years that I have been on this board, I have argued over and over again for standardisation of the US traffic rules to bring them closer to what is widely considered 'international' version. I drove extensively in Europe and in the USA, so I think I have an edge over those who were exposed only to one road system (whether American or European). I have long been against textual signs in the USA, and I clearly explained why. I am also against putting STOP signs at every intersection instead of YIELD signs, and I also explained why. Metric system notwithstanding, international signage would make far more sense than what we have here now. So far the proponents of American traffic signage did not provide any arguments except the well-known "We are used to it" and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
__________________
Go Cougs!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #214
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158

Since we are talking about the new signs in general here is one.


Is there a list of all the new or significantly redone signs in the 2009 MUTCD?
__________________
[intentionally left blank]
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #215
xd_1771
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Not anymore! One of the biggest improvements in motorway signage in America, in my opinion. Now, it looks much better.
Road signs with up arrows just like that have been used in British Columbia, Canada for ages now

Quote:
At intersections where a full stop is not necessary at all times, consideration should first be given to using less restrictive measures such as YIELD signs (see Sections 2B.08 and 2B.09).
They've been doing that in Alberta for some time too

IMO they should add a warning sign for those situations where you have a "short merge" on a freeway.

Last edited by xd_1771; July 4th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
xd_1771 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #216
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,435
Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The Europeans also have a sign that means 'no entry' - it is a red circle with nothing but blank white inside. It appears to be most often used on roads that have long-term closures.

Mike
It also means that no vehicles will come out of the road, it's closed
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #217
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
This sign does exist and are used in operation, although it is not common.

One situation is if there is a four-legged intersection, similar to the on and off ramp (diamond interchange) intersection as shown in the below picture. If the off ramp only allows left and right turn, or right turn only, so that the on-ramp side can be uninterrupted, straight movement can be prohibited on the off ramp approach, and this sign would be posted at the off ramp approach to restrict the movement.

The "DO NOT ENTER" sign means the travel direction opposes to the direction the drivers are looking at (i.e. traffic is coming at you.) When the straight sign with a cross over it, it means traffic can be travel away from you or coming at you, but simply you can't be going straight across the intersection.

Quote:
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #218
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

My solution to that would be:
A) to put a physical barrier in the center of the road that the ramp is crossing, forcing people to turn right, and then farther on to the right, put a place to make a U turn, or

B) to put a physical barrier in the center of the road allowing left and right-hand turns, but making it particularly difficult to go straight across.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #219
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
My solution to that would be:
A) to put a physical barrier in the center of the road that the ramp is crossing, forcing people to turn right, and then farther on to the right, put a place to make a U turn, or

B) to put a physical barrier in the center of the road allowing left and right-hand turns, but making it particularly difficult to go straight across.
You are exactly correct, and more often if the situation is in the Case B when left turn is permitted (crossing traffic) but not going through. Barrier does it job at the scene, but not in advance reminding drivers that straight through is prohibited, even if left turn is allowed. It emphasize the no straight through rule, and a safety concern.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #220
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Duplicate.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium