daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #21
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Some other items that I would LOVE to see the USA adopt include:

-The regulatory sign logic used in most of the rest of the World - 'red circle (with or without slash as necessary) = mandatory prohibitions or maximum limits (ie, the 'red circle' speed and dimensional limits signs)/'green circle' = allowed but not mandatory actions/'blue disk with white legend' = mandatory actions or minimum limits.

-The 'blue disk' KEEP RIGHT/LEFT signs used in Europe and most of the rest of the World - the USA's version is very 'busy' and somewhat unclear to me.

-The graphical HIGH WINDS (windsock) and WATCH FOR CONGESTED/STOPPED TRAFFIC warning sign images used in Europe and most of the rest of the World.

-Remove the words from YIELD and DO NOT ENTER signs. Their shapes alone convey the meaning and the driving public knows them well.

Otherwise I do like the upgrades - especially getting rid of more text warning signs and the new standards for STOP and YIELD signs - LOTS of local governments use them as traffic calming things, robbing them of their 'punch' where they are installed for sound engineering reasons.

Also, there is a bit in the new revision where all new corner street name signs will have to use mixed upper and lower-case text and can only be green, black, blue or brown with white lettering and be of a certain minimum size.

(Mods, could you make a reference to 'in the USA' for this thread title? Thanx!)

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #22
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
You didnt have sign for "overtaking not allowed"?
The old sign was a text 'DO NOT PASS', which is being retained (for now) as an option. I am expecting it to disappear in the next one or two revisions. I am also expecting a green circle style graphic 'overtaking allowed' sign to appear in the next one or two revisions to replace the text 'PASS WITH CARE' signs that appear at the beginning of legal passing zones in many states (curiously, not used here in Wisconsin). Also, in most USA states, the lines painted on the roads carry the same legal force as do the signs with regards to passing zones.

The USA also has a long-standing yellow triangle 'no passing zone' sign that is mounted on the left side of the road at the end of a legal passing zone that I like and is being retained.

Mike
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #23
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Wow. Here's an other one which is good when the capacity is low:

RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #24
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

For those interested, the WHOLE TEXT of this revision, including all of the sign images and diagrams (a couple of thousand pages in total) is available at:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/...mend/index.htm

The entire current USA Federal Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) is available for download at:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/

Enjoy!

Mike
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #25
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Good changes.

What I never understood though is why the signs for prohibition aren't crossed. I know the signs are prohibition by itself, but my logic tells me, if sth is prohibited, it should be crossed. Of course a crossed sign for a prohibition means an end of the prohibition, which poses another confusion.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #26
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

double
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #27
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
The new one is looking very German to me:
In Germany, the arrows are interfering with the focals on the sign. In the States, they are much more separate, which has the downside that the size of the signs will increase. On the German signs, I already feel that arrows are over-inflated without any need to. While the FWHA is reversing a position that was even worse, they are still over-inflating even more than the Germans do.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #28
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19408

If they implement a dotted line, they don't need those ugly Exit Only signs anymore too. The dotted line clearly separates the exit lanes from the regular lanes. Those big yellow exit only signs mess up a sign real bad.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #29
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannman1975 View Post
These changes look very modern and make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the learning curve (pun intended) for a lot of drivers (and politicians) is going to very steep. Hope it comes to pass though.
We just need our own Pierre Trudeau in the USA He would not give a damn what Joe Six-pack thinks about this and that...
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #30
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If they implement a dotted line, they don't need those ugly Exit Only signs anymore too. The dotted line clearly separates the exit lanes from the regular lanes. Those big yellow exit only signs mess up a sign real bad.
No. Exit only signs are rarely used where a motorist would cross the dotted line to get into an exit lane-- i.e, only where the exit lane is very long, such as when it's needed to develop capacity for a two lane offramp. On wide freeways with numerous lane-drop exits, motorists need to be able to see which lanes will be dropped from signs alone without having to check the pavement markings, which will be difficult to see in heavy traffic. Plus, there are plenty of places in Atlanta (for instance) where dropped and optional lanes occur at closely-spaced exits in such a way that dotted lines would be confusing, like here, on the southbound roadway: http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=...08841&t=k&z=16
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #31
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post

LOL, like 95% of the American population will even see these signs.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #32
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
LOL, like 95% of the American population will even see these signs.
You'd be surprised. Bears, moose, elk, bighorn sheep, etc are very common in various parts of the USA, especially the mountain areas and forested northlands. Sort of like kangaroo crossing signs in Australia. Farm creature crossing signs of all sorts are SOP throughout the USA, too.

What about duck crossings (there is an MUTCD sign for those, BTW)?

I have also seen non-MUTCD graphic 'tank crossing' signs on public highways that go through Army bases (I think that I'd rather drive into a deer instead! ).

Mike
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #33
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Interesting. Like almost every single example posted is already standard here in Ontario, Canada, lane markings, the no right turn sign. Standard here. Looks like they're just playing catch up.

Nothing i object to, doesn't help that I'm already used to it here :P
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #34
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

I'm not crazy about the optional yield on the left while heading into a roundabout. That's where my eyes will be focused- looking for traffic coming FROM the left, not the right. That yield should be a mandatory in my opinion.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #35
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

The problem here is that in most countries the general rule is to place the traffic sign on the driving side of the road, so in a country like the US, traffic signs generally are located on the right side. There is a reason for this rule - if you have two adjacent roadways, then in general only the signs on the ride side of the road apply to the road you're currently on, whereas the sign on the left may apply to the roadway on your left. While in this case there isn't really an ambiguity (and hence it is permitted to put the sign on the left, even though it's optional), in general traffic signs should always be located on the right side, with a "repeater" sign optionally on the left.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #36
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

You're right, I just think they should put yields on both sides of the road- I think they're making the one optional that should be mandatory.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #37
Alex Von Königsberg

I recognise roundabouts in the USA by the pattern of road signs on the approach to them. And yes, this pattern included doubling signs on the left.
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #38
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

These changes suck ****.

The current designs are a lot more intuitive and clear than these cluttered, confusing European signage that they plan to take on.

There's nothing wrong with this. It tells you exactly where all the lanes are going. Why fix it, if it ain't broke?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #39
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

You have to look closely to see which lanes go which way. If you drive at 60 mph and traffic is busy, it's not very handy IMO.
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #40
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Why fix it, if it ain't broke?
Who says it ain't broke? You? I doubt it will be enough to convince the FHWA not to proceed with the change