daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Greens!

Likes (Received): 13

Houston Texas - last taste of summer. Complete with a Hurricane.

Before things begin to cool off, some photos from late summer...

Featuring...

Hurricane Ike:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Greens! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #2
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

I like how ecclectic Houston is. Seems to be filling in quite nicely. For being the 4th largest in the US it should be zoned more like Chicago. People are very outgoing and kind in Houston for the most part. I have friends in Montrose. I have been there a few times.

Houston is one of the more affordable big cities in the US.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #3
philadweller

Houston really need to get some more street life. Out of the ten largest cities in the US only NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia are the ones to have bustling centers teeming with pedestrians. Its all about zoning. I am really amazed at what has happened in formerly ultra sprawlsy LA in the past decade. Now I want to see it happen in Houston.

I don't think there are cities like Houston or Phoenix in Europe...hmmm I wonder why?
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #4
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Maybe the CBD looked dead because of the hurricane.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #5
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3714

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Houston really need to get some more street life. Out of the ten largest cities in the US only NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia are the ones to have bustling centers teeming with pedestrians. Its all about zoning. I am really amazed at what has happened in formerly ultra sprawlsy LA in the past decade. Now I want to see it happen in Houston.

I don't think there are cities like Houston or Phoenix in Europe...hmmm I wonder why?
The funny thing about Houston is that it has no strict zoning laws yet it has grown from car centric suburban sprawl.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 67

Love your pictures.
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

I visited Houston 7 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised! (Being from the NW I always heard bad things about TX unfortunately ).

It's hard for me to say this after what happened to NO, Buloxi, and Galveston, but I've always wanted to experience a hurricane. I know that's ignorant and cowardly, but wild weather like that can be exciting.
Cool photos!!

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #8
Greens!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
The funny thing about Houston is that it has no strict zoning laws yet it has grown from car centric suburban sprawl.
The city is one of the most economically liberal cities there is. Because of the lack of zoning, infill has come rapidly and what has come has been affordable. I always hear about how anyone can do pretty much anything here regardless of who they are related to or where they went to school or whatever, as long as they put in the work and make things happen.

I actually heard the mayor speak a few months ago about the "Open City" concept, where the city government backs growth and interferes at little as possible with businesses. The result is a entrepreneurial free-for-all with lots of tacky billboards and adult book stores.
Greens! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #9
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244804

Nice pics
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Very well taken pictures that provide an interesting snapshot of Houston, thank you for sharing.

I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat myself. There are lots of American cities that I do like the look of, but I really just cannot bring myself to like Houston, sorry.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #11
philadweller

"I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat myself. There are lots of American cities that I do like the look of, but I really just cannot bring myself to like Houston, sorry."

I like the people in Houston. I think Houston gives the illusion of being a big city when it is a giant mega suburb that has lots of highrises. There is a lot of dead space at street level. Too many parking lots, highways and wide roads slice up the city into pockets of void and pockets of vibrancy. Houston needs a master plan. There is something that I do like about Houston that I cannot really put my finger on. I get a perverted smile when I'm there thinking this is just all wrong but I sure am having fun.

I like where Atlanta is going and both cities are similar. Maybe they need to look into the infrastructure. Houston is a total car city.