daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #161
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10243

Avignon TGV Station

Lyon

Berlin Hauptbahnhof

Big picture..
http://www.allianz-pro-schiene.de/ba...in-innen-1.jpg

Kyoto station

But as I said, even the new station in the previous post looks a lot less dark and gloomy than the old one. I found most old buildings dysfunctional, smelly, and substandard. I don't feel good in old buildings, almost like I don't like this old "energy" that I feel inside.
At least St Pancras was heavily renovated so it actually looks pretty nice.

Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #162
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Sorry I meant examples of planners trying to keep Europe in the 19th century, I'm aware of the modern pieces of construction going on, seeing as how AFAIK all of it is non-19th century influenced and this is a construction forum....
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #163
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
I found most old buildings dysfunctional, smelly, and substandard.
You're confusing old with not maintained properly, not up to date and not modernized.

I for one like this

AND this

Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM   #164
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
Totally agree. I can't believe so many urban planners wet dream is to make European cities look like they're from the 19th century.
I don't know of any urban planners that have such "wet dreams". I do know of urban planners that did a lot of damage in the 70ies through not having any respect at all for the history of a city.
Nearly all contemporary urban planners subscribe to the idea that a city is a living thing, that evolves and changes. This includes new construction replacing old construction. It's mostly politicians that often want to turn cities in to museums.
Just look at the frequent clashes between Prince Charles and the Architectural and Urban planning establishment in the UK.

Quote:
Newer buildings (post 80s) are so much more well thought, functional, less costly to maintain, and often better looking.
They are, until they too have to cope with changing needs and requirements...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #165
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I'm doing a research about the location of a city's main station compared to its center. What I'm looking for are examples of cities (mainly in Europe, but all cases will be useful) whose main station was close to che city center, and was then replaced by a new building in a less close location.

What I want to demonstrate is that such relocation usually turns out to be a failure, with the new station being less attractive; but I'd curious to know positive cases as well.

So far I found Cosenza and Catanzaro in Italy (stations moved to the middle of nothing) and Ludwigshafen in Germany, where the 1969 Hbf was such a failure that it had to be replaced by a new station.
Braunschweig and Heidelberg also led to complaints about the new location, but those where dead-end stations so relocation was a true necessity (but still created some inconvenience).

Other cases may be Berlin Hbf and Lyon Part-Dieu, but there the new station was not really in the outskirts.

So, does any other case come to your mind?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #166
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Nobody posted NYC's Penn Station

Its Demolition in the 1960's was considered the worst demolitiom of a landmark in U.S. History.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

jonasry, Urbanista1 liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #167
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Philadelphia Broad St station

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

jonasry liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #168
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'm doing a research about the location of a city's main station compared to its center. What I'm looking for are examples of cities (mainly in Europe, but all cases will be useful) whose main station was close to che city center, and was then replaced by a new building in a less close location.

What I want to demonstrate is that such relocation usually turns out to be a failure, with the new station being less attractive; but I'd curious to know positive cases as well.

So, does any other case come to your mind?
I have one that sort of fits the description:
There is a city (well... actually a town) Valka/Valga. For political reasons half of the city belongs to the country of Latvia, but half - Estonia. And both were occupied and annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940. So then for 50 years citizens could move freely between the Soviet states. There was no longer a need to have two stations - Valka and Valga - so they left only Valga station. But then in 1990 came independence and with that - border control.
So Latvian trains and passengers could no longer freely use the Valga station. The train was shortened to the last station in Latvia - Lugaži - which is located a kilometer outside the Valka city border.

Now both countries are in the EU, in the Schengen zone and Eurozone so the city is again united. And since 2008 trains again run to the more convenient Valga station.

I just don't have any data about the usage. But it's fair to say that Valga station is the more convenient option for the majority of the population.

Wilhem275 liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #169
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
One example is Milan's Central station. The original station was a through station on an East-West railway line through the city. It was replaced by the current Milano Centrale to the North East.
The East - West line through the city has been rebuild in recent times, but this time underground.
In Belgium there are several examples: Gent - Zuid, which was a terminal station, which was demolished after WWII, with all services transferred to St. Pieters, which is quite some distance from the centre. You can still see where the station once was using google maps. Look for "Woodrow Wilson Plein".
Brugge's first station was on 't Zand, also closer to the city. The new one is still within walking distance of the old town though.

Wilhem275 liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #170
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

The two Brussels main stations (North and South) were also closer than they are now
(they were moved away from the center when the north-south link was built after WW2)
but this has been compensated for by the creation of Brussels Central, which is just a
few walking minutes away from the city centre.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #171
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

In large cities, as Brussel and Milan, the concept of "main station" was a bit vague from the beginning, since usually urban expansion engulfed the new ones again.

Probably small and medium sized cities may be more subject to the relocation issue.

Another example may be the project -although not completed- to sacrifice Figueres and move all traffic to Figueres-Vilafant.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #172
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

On the initial topic of demolished stations:

Imanta station building (1894) in Latvia:

Near the begging of it's life

In it's final years

After closure. On the left we can admire the architectural values of this green box that the old building was replaced with. The old building was demolished in 2012 after it had been vandalized by locals. Previously the plan was to demolish it during platform reconstruction (around 2015).
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #173
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
One example is Milan's Central station. The original station was a through station on an East-West railway line through the city. It was replaced by the current Milano Centrale to the North East.
The East - West line through the city has been rebuild in recent times, but this time underground.
Ok, but the new station was rebuilt at only 500 mt. north from the old one.

friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote