daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Greater L.A. Area > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #1
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Likes (Received): 3

Green parks and lakes of Inland Empire

Hello everyone!
I just decided to start this photo thread just to break the common stereotypes that IE is all desert flatlands filled with tract homes and tumbleweeds
I will post some pics of the parks and rivers that I took, and if any of you have taken some good photos too, then please post them here too!
elrusodan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #2
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

I will start with my favorite, Riverwalk!

Many years ago this used to be a desert, but now it is a nicely developed area. It has a system of ponds and a creek that runs from La Sierra University along Riverwalk Parkway and into the largest pond at the end.

The local residents:

The Koi carps:

(Ninja) Turtles! They are very fast and camera shy; by the time I took the picture most of them ran away already:

Another pond across the street:

Some new office buildings are being built across the street:

You can see the rest of the images here. And feel free to download them at full size (1600x1200), if you want
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #3
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

oh wow..i had no idea. Thanks for this small tour. -love your comments btw-...GO ninja turtles!!! (architecture student also? me too! ----where are you studying?)
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #4
AlexTheMartian

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrusodan View Post
Hello everyone!
I just decided to start this photo thread just to break the common stereotypes that IE is all desert flatlands filled with tract homes and tumbleweeds
I will post some pics of the parks and rivers that I took, and if any of you have taken some good photos too, then please post them here too!
Hey, at least it is better than the misinformation where I am from, San Gabriel Valley. They just forgot we even exist and mistakenly think that area is the IE.. which it is not, it is right between IE and downtown LA >_<

Where are you from? I am from the San Gabriel Valley. You mean the San Fernando Valley? No... the area east of downtown LA. Oh, you mean the Inland Empire? NO!

It is all OK, my high school was actually at the very edge of the 909 :P
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #5
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Very edge of 909? That must be San Dimas? I thought San Gabriel Valley is from Pasadena to Covina, right before those mountains start?
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiTennis View Post
(architecture student also? me too! ----where are you studying?)
Right now I am studying at CSUF for Civil major with Architectural emphasis. When I am finished with that, I also want to finish grad school for Structural engineering and then for Architecture (just as arts, no more engineering) and then... IDK, haven't dreamed that further ahead yet
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #7
AlexTheMartian

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Very edge of 909? That must be San Dimas? I thought San Gabriel Valley is from Pasadena to Covina, right before those mountains start?
I should have clarified, I did not go to high school in the San Gabriel Valley . San Dimas would be it. I was not really staying at my house when I was in high school, my home is actually in the center of the San Gabriel Valley.

Yeah, Pasadena to Covina is the San Gabriel Valley, once you reach those hills along the 10 freeway, you are now in Pomona Valley, which I believe is actually part of the Inland Empire.

Interesting thing I just came across online, that Pomona Valley people separates themselves so much from L.A. and San Bernidino counties that in 1893 the California Assembly voted 54-14 for a new county to form in the region, San Antonio County, with Pomona as its seat. However Senate rejected that
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #8
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Okay, next is Green River! (AKA Santa Ana River)
This is not exactly a public park, but there is a public bike trail along the river and a golf course on the other side. The river is fenced off with a chainlink fence (I guess for the safety purposes)

This part of the trail by the freeway is too noisy, but once you go downhill and away from the freeway, the trail is very nice and peaceful

Green! And windy!

Back to Corona:

Toward Orange County:

Golf course on the other side:

Glance at the river:

A wheel! It probably flew all the way from freeway (makes me wonder how safe this portion of the bike trail is)

At the bottom

Concrete sharks:

Some rope tied to the tree. I wonder if it is for fishing purposes...

Its the jungle out there:

The bridge leading to the golf course:

From the bridge:

From the street: I dont know what this is, but it leads to the other side of freeway

All of the images can be downloaded here at 1600x1200 (or 1600x900 widescreen)

Last edited by elrusodan; October 18th, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #9
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

A few miles down the stream there is Yorba Regional Park, off 91 fwy Yorba Linda exit. But that is Orange County already, not IE. So I am not going to make a big post here, but I post a link to all photos, if anyone is interested

Old October 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #10
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Fairmount Park

This park is less than a mile away from Downtown Riverside.

Water lilies!

Quack Quack? We are NOT ducks! We are geese!

So is this where all this water comes from?

Playing Tanks

Sometimes this portion of the road gets flooded, just a little bit

An island full of palm trees. For some reason it always reminds me of LA's skyline

We are the ducks. We live here. And who are you?

The rest of the photos + DT Riverside photos can be downloaded here at 1600x1200
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Chewsif

Quote:
Right now I am studying at CSUF for Civil major with Architectural emphasis. When I am finished with that, I also want to finish grad school for Structural engineering and then for Architecture (just as arts, no more engineering) and then... IDK, haven't dreamed that further ahead yet
Dude your rad, these photos are great! You should hit up UCR Botanical Gardens, Jurupa Valley Wildlife Reserve, and (I'm not sure if it counts, but) California Citrus State Historic Park. Aside from that, I went to CSUF too! I just graduated with a BFA in Entertainment Art and Illustration this spring. I have a soft spot for architecture though I have to admit .
--> Increase Transportation
--> Decrease Crime
--> Improve Environment
Chewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #12
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

I still have a couple more places to post!

I looked up UCR Botanical Gardens on Google Earth, there is no lake or a pond there, or any water body... That just doesn't feel "complete" to me. CSUF's Arboretum is probably much nicer, but then it is not IE...
I want to go by Lake Perris, but thats whenever I have time. I went there a couple times this summer, but did not take any pictures. And right now it is a bit cold to go for a swim, but I still want to go there...
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #13
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Did you mean Hidden Valley Wildlife Preserve, instead of Jurupa Valley? Is that the one between Riverside and Norco, by Santa Ana River?
They opened horse and bike trails there, I wanted to go check it out too...
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #14
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks for sharing, its always good to see photos of the I.E. I grew up in the city of LA, but moved to the I.E. in my early 20's for a few years.

I can't say its my favorite place in the LA metro, but I'm willing to admit it has its charms, and there is tons of natural beauty there as well. I loved the winter months when I could look out my big windows facing Mt Baldy and seeing snow capped mountains. I lived in a couple cities in the area, but my favorite was Upland. Also Claremont is just awesome, and if not for the summer heat (I live near the beach now) I wouldn't have a problem living in either Upland, Claremont, Rancho Cucamonga, or Redlands.
ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #15
terminal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 104

Yes Elrusodan!!!! really thanx for sharing these wonderful pictures...these places are really incredibly beautifull to visit..and after I've seen these pictures ...I will get as soon as possoble....so if you have more pix, info about Inland Empire territories..please welcome....
terminal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #16
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Thanks everyone! More pics to come! I just need some time to organize and post them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewsif View Post
I have a soft spot for architecture though I have to admit .
Thats great! And I am sure most of us do! That is what brings us to this forum, right?
BTW, Architecture is art also. Maybe if you want one more degree... Cal Poly Pomona is not that far (good luck getting into their program, though...)
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #17
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
... I lived in a couple cities in the area, but my favorite was Upland. Also Claremont is just awesome, and if not for the summer heat (I live near the beach now) I wouldn't have a problem living in either Upland, Claremont, Rancho Cucamonga, or Redlands.
Yes, that probably is the best of Suburbia! As someone told me, Rancho (Cucamonga) is the Inland Empire's "Beverly Hills"
I used to work there, and even now I still go by there sometimes.
Here are some pictures overlooking the area from the top of Haven ave:

Rancho Sunset:

1600x1200 can be downloaded here
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #18
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal View Post
Yes Elrusodan!!!! really thanx for sharing these wonderful pictures...these places are really incredibly beautifull to visit..and after I've seen these pictures ...I will get as soon as possoble....so if you have more pix, info about Inland Empire territories..please welcome....
You are welcome!
One of my favorite places to visit would be Lake Perris, it is a nice clean lake where you could swim, fish, boat, hike around, or even just go for a picnic. There is an island in the middle of the lake, so if you take a boat, then please try to visit it! I tried to swim there once, but then the lifeguard chased after me and asked me to stay closer to the shore (I guess so I don't get run over by a boat or something...)

If you just go for boating and fishig, without swimming, then Lake Elsinore would probably be even better. It is not as clean as Lake Perris, so there is no swimming, but for boating this lake is perfect. Then from Perris you could drive into mountains (Ortega, Highway 74), and there are nice views over the city and the lake from the road's turnouts. Drive careful! There are many wild animals wondering around. One time I saw a baby mountain lion right in the middle of the road, and it didn't want to move.
It is a long mountain road leading all the way to South Orange County, and there are only two restaurants on the way, both near Perris: Lookout Road House (the better one, with a nice patio overlooking the city) and a biker bar, Hell's Kitchen. Their food is okay, but I still prefer the Lookout (because of food AND the view). But then at Hell's Kitchen you can shoot pool...

View from one of the turnouts on Ortega Highway (I took these couple years ago, when I used to work in the area):

1600x1200 can be downloaded here
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Chewsif

Quote:
I looked up UCR Botanical Gardens on Google Earth, there is no lake or a pond there, or any water body... That just doesn't feel "complete" to me. CSUF's Arboretum is probably much nicer, but then it is not IE...
I dunno man, I think Botanical Gardens blows the Arboretum away... it's about 4 or 5 times the size with a lot more trees, plants, and other cool stuff. I can't remember, but I think it has a couple ponds and streams too. But yes, no lakes though.

Quote:
Did you mean Hidden Valley Wildlife Preserve, instead of Jurupa Valley? Is that the one between Riverside and Norco, by Santa Ana River?
They opened horse and bike trails there, I wanted to go check it out too...
Yeah that's what I ment whoops! It's a natural forresty wildlife area too which makes it extra cool.

Quote:
If you just go for boating and fishig, without swimming, then Lake Elsinore would probably be even better. It is not as clean as Lake Perris, so there is no swimming, but for boating this lake is perfect.
LOL yes swimming would be a bad idea at this one... You might want nose plugs too if your boating...
--> Increase Transportation
--> Decrease Crime
--> Improve Environment
Chewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM   #20
Geborgenheit
Liberté

Likes (Received): 1720

Wonderful pictures and funny comments.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote