daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Mart_79

Likes (Received): 0

Mart's Pictures (Berlin, San Francisco, Wuppertal, and much much more)

Hello Everyone,

I am very new here and this is my first post. Let me begin by giving a GREAT compliment to Germany and its inhabitants.
I live in The Netherlands and Germany is one of my favourite place to go to for small trips and Holidays. Nowadays German Cities and Towns have a great feel for hospitality, food and culture, the people are friendly, the prices are reasonable and their cultural heritage is well kept and maintained. Although we all know the horrible past of this country and the destruction that took place in a lot of German Cities, i must give a great compliment of how the vast majority of these cities have rebuilt their old buildings in such a manner that most of them still possess the medieval feel to their towncentres. The mixture of very modern buildings combined with the original or repaired old buildings is something unique and can hardly be found anywhere else on the planet. And then there's the parts that were hardly or not at all touched by the war, the true medieval towns, the mountain villages, the nature and the millions of castles you pass by when driving 190 on the Autobahn. This makes in my opinion Germany just as beautifull as France or Italy and then with the hospitality and friendliness a far more desirable place to visit then France or Italy. I also noticed that a lot (obviously NOT ALL OF THEM) of the castles in for example England are dirty and not very well preserved.
All in All enough with my commercial presentation for Germany. :-) I never intended to hurt anyones feelings and i also love other countries, i just have a feeling that Germany still has a small negative feel to it and i just thought that is very unfair.

Anyhow....here's the pictures.

Cheers to you all.

Mart.

ps. Sorry about all the persons in the pictures but I tend to find the pictures more interesting for home use when a familiar face is on them.

Last edited by Mart_79; October 17th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Mart_79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Mart_79

Oke to start of:

Here's a picture of the old Queens Working Palace in my hometown of The Hague.

It currently houses an exhibit of MC Escher.
Which was very fun to visit. First of all because of the paintings and second of all because it also gave you a good feel of the beauty of the palace when it was still in use by the Queen.

Last edited by Mart_79; October 17th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

Nice introduction! I'm glad to see that someone else feels the same about Germany as a country as me.

Looking forward to the pictures!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Mart_79

Earlier this year I visited the USA and one of the nicer cities there is of course San Francisco. It even has a little bit of that nice European feel to it.

Of course something nearly everyone can appreciate is the pure madness and overwhelming glamour of Sin City.

And something the Americans can do very very very well, one of my personal hobbies. These are not exactly buildings but they are works of art and always an impressive sight in my opinion. Indeed.....ROLLERCOASTERS.

Old October 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Mart_79

I noticed that a couple of days in Berlin weren't enough to see it all.
So i will have to go back

The Berlin Dom, as nice from the inside as it is from the outside.

The view from the top of the Dom towards the "Unter den Linden". That street is a pearl for the eye and I can't wait to go back when all the reconstructions are done. I heard they are also rebuilding the old City Castle, right next to the Dom.

Then a sight that took my breath away for a short while. Unfortunately not because of the beauty. One of the few horrible reminders of WW2. What once must have been one of the nicest churches, stands still damaged and will never be rebuilt to it's old glory.

Close by Berlin there's a place called Potsdam, which stands undamaged and in full glory. One of the main attractions is the Neues Schloss. The whole area including gardens, estates, forests and Altes Schloss, Neues Schloss and small mills, etc.....is worthwile visiting for at least a day, then the town of Potsdam itself...Lovely. The Dutch Quarters, the old houses, castles, churches, the squares and the billion restaurants make this place an absolute must see especially if you have travelled a long way to Berlin, you are so close....Visit it!

While racing home we nearly thundered passed the nice little town of Osnabrück, stopping there for some food i came accross this nice Cathedral.
Also definitely a place to visit for let's say half a day. Forgot the name of this building, anyone?

Old October 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Mart_79

On a Weekend trip I decided to have a look in the absolutely stunning Münsterland. I read a lot about it. All the stories are true. I am not exaggerating if I say that there's really a few kazillion old castles and towns there to see.
From the medieval fortress, surrounded by water and a bridge.

(forgot the name of this one, please help anyone?)

To just ridiculously huge and luxurious.

This one is called, Schloss Neuenkirchen and is also called "The Versailles of Nordrhein Westfalen".

I will definitely return to the Münsterland because i have seen just 3 castles of the seven kazillion. So in the future more pictures will follow.

Unless anyone can show us more? Feel free. Also some nice cities and towns are located in the Münsterland. And from the City of The Hague it's just a 2 to 3 hour drive before being in a comple different world. So the ideal place for a weekend of forgetting about work and all.

On the way home we found a nice little town (3 houses and a restaurant) called Alpen. The ?Countryclub? and restaurant there had delicious meals, we once just drove there (2 and a half hours) just to eat a Schnitzel. ohhhh the advantages of having a lease car with diesel included in the montly fee. :-D

This is the Restaurant in Alpen with my noble Steed parked in front of it. Obviously i'm talking about the car not my Girlfriend who sits inside.

Last edited by Mart_79; October 17th, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Mart_79

Last year a small holiday in September.

Started of in Luxembourg, visited the town and castle of Viande,

Then we stayed in the Luxenbourg city Hilton hotel.
And visited the city of Luxembourg. Which is also the Capital, i guess they ran out of names. Now due to a little problem with a memory card (it got lost) I have to use photo's found online.

Sometimes you find a picture and think, i could not have done that better.
Thank you Luxembourg.co.uk . Really lovely and rich place, I can recommend a visit. Although I still haven't figured out what language they speak, I tried German, French, Dutch, English they understood me but then they talked back in the Gerfredunglish......good luck to me. :-)

Driving towards the lovely city of Freiburg and the little town nearby called Rust. In Rust there's a place called EuropaPark.
One again I have to admit, I could not have taken this picture better myself.
Thanks to "Wikimedia.org"

Europapark, I think along with Alton Towers, the nicest attraction park in Europe. (I visited a lot).
Sniff...once again, i can't take panorama pictures like this....sniff.
Thank you http://img.geo.de

Look at that: Now if this isn's a nice masterpiece of modern engineering.
This one is called the Silverstar. For a long time the highest and fastest coaster in all of Europe.

Then the next day after spending an exciting day in Europapark we toured around a little in the area. Oke to be honest I got lost but driving through the mountains we came across this nice little church and monastary right on the top of a mountain. Once again I never saw a name, these however are my own pictures. (new memory card) getting lost can be nice to. After I admitted I took the wrong turn I switched on the SatNav and got back enroute to the Schauinsland.

Then we found the Schauinsland cable Car. This is the longest Cable Car in Germany. Quite some work building it there I reckon.

Nice view over the nature of the Schwarzwald?.

Last edited by Mart_79; October 17th, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Mart_79

More pictures will follow as soon as I come home from work....errr.....yeah well that sounded a little bit stupid.....errhm.....I meant as soon as I can acccess my harddisk with all the pictures on it.

Hopefully this weekend there will be more.

Thank you for reading and watching and have a nice day.
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 22

It's really heart warming to know that there are still some people who loves and appreciate Germany and it's wonders. It really pisses me off and hurts me whenever people accuse Germany as an ugly and unfriendly place to be. And that they won't really see the beauty of her language and culture just because of its turbulent history.

Anyways,
Thanks for sharing you pictures and your views!
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #10
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

Wow! I said I was looking forward to the photos and I certainly wasn't disappointed! First off, thanks for all the effort you went to in putting these photos up, and secondly - what an excellent showcase of Germany!

I can't wait for the next isntallment!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #11
Clay_Rock

Likes (Received): 2

Great pictures!!
Clay_Rock no está en línea   Reply With Quote