daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #1
thun

Regensburg: Germanys medieval gem

Stiuated at the northernmost point of the Danube in the Bavarian region of Oberpfalz, Regensburg (a bit over 100k inhabitants) has the largest original medieval centre of all German cities which is World Heritage of the UNESCO.

The city is definitely worth a visit!

All photos taken by myself, as well as the copyright is mine.

But now, let's see the pics:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Hope you liked some of the pics.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5586

Thanks so much for your pictures! They are great!

I don't really know why, but somehow I never felt that Regensburg was a really beautiful city, even though it wasn't destroyed in WWII. If you look at other german cities, what they looked like before war, almost all looked stunningly beautiful and the loss of historic architecture is so sad. And smaller cities in Germany, which were not harmed by war, are alot cuter and more picturesque too, with mor details and ornaments, than the rather bland and boring Regensburg. For example Bamberg or Görlitz.
I really wonder why it does not look as good as other old cities...
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Looks absolutely amazing despite the bad weather.

Despite what Tiaren thinks, I think that Regensburg looks very urban, and perhaps not as ornate and detailed, but still rather pristine and well kempt, which at the end of the day, is the important thing!

Looking forward to any future threads by you.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

Amazing town nice pics thun
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6415

what a gem
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Johnor

Likes (Received): 49

@Tiaren

I could not disagree with you anymore than on this one.

What makes Regensburg beautiful is its purity. Being pure and not remodelled the old town remains as one of the best preserved examples of early medieval architechture in europe. This is one of the few cities remaining with such a density of buildings from prior 1300 century. The style is there more restained than in other young old towns. This is the only one in nothern europe.

According to my opinion, this is one of the most authentic and pure examples of a nothern medieval town. Both Bamberg and Gorlitz are more mixed in their nature with high numbers of builds from 1600 and 1800 century.
Johnor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7
thun

Absolutely true. Regensburgs centre almost completely looks just the same like in the medieval era. There are VERY few more modern buildings (younger than 500 years!).
And it was in its times one of the most important and richest towns of the Holy Roman Empire when the "Reichstag", the deputees of the hundrets of territories of the Empire met in the Old Town Hall (the yellow building with the violet flowers).

Unfortunately I weren't lucky to have sunny weather which makes the pics a bit "sad".
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM   #8
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Lovely city, certainly a place worthy to be visited.

Thanks for this discovery.

La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnor View Post
@Tiaren

I could not disagree with you anymore than on this one.

What makes Regensburg beautiful is its purity. Being pure and not remodelled the old town remains as one of the best preserved examples of early medieval architechture in europe. This is one of the few cities remaining with such a density of buildings from prior 1300 century. The style is there more restained than in other young old towns. This is the only one in nothern europe.

According to my opinion, this is one of the most authentic and pure examples of a nothern medieval town. Both Bamberg and Gorlitz are more mixed in their nature with high numbers of builds from 1600 and 1800 century.
Did I say Regensburg wasn't rich in historic buildings or was bad preserved?
No, I just stated that in my opinion, perhaps I should have made that more clear, it isn't as "beautiful" as other preserved cities in Germany. Might be the early medievil residential buildings, I don't like. I prefer the more ornate Renaissance and Baroque.

Yeah, for a friend of medievil architecture, Regensburg must be probably the most beautiful city in Germany!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Johnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Did I say Regensburg wasn't rich in historic buildings or was bad preserved?
No, I just stated that in my opinion, perhaps I should have made that more clear, it isn't as "beautiful" as other preserved cities in Germany. Might be the early medievil residential buildings, I don't like. I prefer the more ornate Renaissance and Baroque.

Yeah, for a friend of medievil architecture, Regensburg must be probably the most beautiful city in Germany!
Regensburg ist just like a as a lot of Italian cities in the early mediveal architechture lacking ornament. Regensburg old town is for good or worse dependent on your taste quite homogenic compared to cities like Erfurt or Gorlitz where both Erfurt or Gorlitz have much more rich faccades. A comparison could be done to Lubeck which have also a high amount of early mediveal buildings. Such a comparison is interresting since Regensburg represent gothic southern Europe and Lubeck gothic nothern europe.
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #11
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59189

I prefer Lübeck in this case Gables make up for a lot of charme and an impressive roof scape, many church towers contribute to a fantastic historic skyline. And its hanseatic merchant houses offer way more ornaments.

But still, I'm in love with 'mediterranean' medieval Regensburg. It's great to see such a big city that well kept in Germany. I wish Nürnberg would've had such luck.

Thanks a lot thun! Any more to come? Or are you even going to open another fine gallery?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19688

That looks like a beautiful cty to me.
Of course renaiissance, baroque, jugendstil and classicisme are great archtiecture in most European cities.
But it's good that Regensburg kept its authentic, medieval and sober style.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #13
thun

To the "Italian" flair: I didn't feel that way. Bavaria has other cities that are much more "Italian" than Regensburg (Passau and Wasserburg, e.g.) but they are not gothic but barroque or renaissance.

For the moment that's all, maybe some day more to come. I have some more nice pics on the disc, but ir mainly depends on the crappy internet connection here.
Passau would be a good option for next year, I just found out that I lived there for two years without having many architecture photos...
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #14
Johnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
To the "Italian" flair: I didn't feel that way. Bavaria has other cities that are much more "Italian" than Regensburg (Passau and Wasserburg, e.g.) but they are not gothic but barroque or renaissance.
There I have to disagree with you. The italian influence could be seen in the romanesque family towers that are very typical to cities like Bologna or San Gimigianno. What makes it stand out is the mix between italian and german romanesque architechture in contast to Italian-German Barroque of Passau and Wasserburg.
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #15
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

Beautiful! Despite its historical look it feels modern in some way, probably because of the brand stores/restaurants.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #16
thun

@ Johnor: You're right, of course. I didn't say its not Italian, I said that I didn't feel this way (living in Passau you kind of have high standards). Most of the buildings are "just" the same as in every other medieval town south of the Danube. Of course, the living towers and some palaces are clearly influenced by Italian architecture.

@ Nightsky: The few modern buildings on the pics are in my opinion examples for modern architecture that fits in that historical sourrounding. Of course, even Regensburg has some ugly 60ies buildings in the old town as well (e.g. a department store about 40m from the H&M store).
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #17
bunt_q

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post

For the moment that's all, maybe some day more to come. I have some more nice pics on the disc, but ir mainly depends on the crappy internet connection here.
Passau would be a good option for next year, I just found out that I lived there for two years without having many architecture photos...
Thanks for the great photos (Regensburg *is* my style).

Funny, I also lived in Passau for a year, and I never did a good architecture photo tour. If you get a chance, I can't wait to see what you post!
bunt_q no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #18
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

really cute place
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #19
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Great pics. I only saw this city once from the highway looks great
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:20 AM   #20
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

pretty
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote