daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #41
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

I would agree the "neighbourhoods" to be found in the Ruhr cities would be of much higher quality than the neighbourhoods of San Antonio. But that is typical of German cities (and European cities in general). One thing constant in European cities are nice neighbourhoods that surround the central cities.

But as you can find that in every city in Europe, it doesn't stand out here in the Ruhr Area.

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM   #42
Der wahre Heino

Likes (Received): 34

but then the san antonio riverwalk is world famous?
Der wahre Heino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #43
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der wahre Heino View Post
but then the san antonio riverwalk is world famous?
not world famous, but more famous than anything in the Ruhr Area. To be honest, outside of Germanic countries and a few other people in surrounding European countries I doubt if anyone has ever heard of this area. When you take into account the full Rhein Ruhr area has 12million people making it one of the largest Metropolitan Area's in Europe and up with the big boys in the world, it is amazing that so few has heard of it.

Tell a person outside of Europe that you live in Essen and I would be very surprised if they had heard of it. San Antonio is certainly not on everyone's lips, but it's population is a fraction of the Ruhr Area yet I assure you it is still more widely known.

Also, when you read and study urban planning and design, the San Antonio river walk comes up a lot more than anything in the Ruhr Area (unless of course you are in a Germanic country)

I have lived in several country's around the world, and I can assure you that the Ruhr Area is one of the, if not the least known major urban area in the developed world.
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM   #44
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Nice pictures. Ruhrgebiet isn't that ugly actually
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #45
KidGibNick

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Tell a person outside of Europe that you live in Essen and I would be very surprised if they had heard of it. San Antonio is certainly not on everyone's lips, but it's population is a fraction of the Ruhr Area yet I assure you it is still more widely known.
I believe we were comparing the actual quality of life, infrastructure, beauty etc vs. How well it is know; however, you are correct in that more outsiders have probably heard of San Antonio...but everyone around the world seems to know a little bit more about US cities. I'm sure that on a global scale, some people are more familiar with the name Pittsburgh than they are Stuttgart, regardless of it's importance, relevance, etc.
KidGibNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #46
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

As an American, I can tell you that the average off-the-street American who has never been to Europe, knows Berlin and maybe Munich and Frankfurt are in Germany if they are lucky. That's even a stretch unfortunately.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #47
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
The reportage pretty much confirmed what I expected. A run down and depressed area. Probably the worst Germany has to offer.

I really couldn't live there. Would get depressions everyday.
This is not true! The Ruhr Area has a lot to offer! And it is surely far better than most Eastern German regions! Dortmund, Duisburg and Bochum have very nice areas, great nighlife and along with the Rhinelanders and Hamburgers ( ) the friendliest peole.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #48
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidGibNick View Post
I believe we were comparing the actual quality of life, infrastructure, beauty etc vs. How well it is know; however, you are correct in that more outsiders have probably heard of San Antonio...but everyone around the world seems to know a little bit more about US cities. I'm sure that on a global scale, some people are more familiar with the name Pittsburgh than they are Stuttgart, regardless of it's importance, relevance, etc.
And the reason for that is the flood of American films broadcast around the world.