daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #2421
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
It captures the very essense of the city, i don't care if the pic has been shopped in some way, it shows 10K of solid megacity with skyscrapers, cranes, spires and domes. This is something that only a few cities in the world can boast, if you want "skyline", the silhouette is what makes it perfect.
Dear Blackpool88,

No it doesn't. You will hardly ever see such a view from anywhere in London. London is generally a very low-rise and suburban city with suburban style housing starting just off the Zone 1 (or even within zone 1 in some case). London certainly doesn't have as much of the 'big city' feeling as some other European cities, including the much smaller ones.

Even the best natural spots (such as Parliament Hill, Primrose Hill, Alexandra Palace) wouldn't give such an impression of the skyline as in that 'fake' image. That over-photoshopped HDR image is amazing but it doesn't represent the skyline at all even though it looks impressive due to carefully selected angle where most of the impressive tall landmarks are visible in one shot... a very rare and extremely unusual occurance in London's skyline which can be achieved only by a combination of such circumstances.

The spot that rather well showcases the skyline is the one at Victoria Dock on the pedestrian bridge (i.e. the one you've posted... and also one I did a while ago). However you would probably hardly ever find other spots from where it looks so good.

Frankfurt on the other hand has got a 'real' skyline which is overwhelmingly dominated by tall skyscrapers no matter what angle you look from and how far or close you are. It's a true (and as I've already mentioned perhaps, the ONLY) skyscrapercity in Europe and to me it is unquestionable when it comes to 'the Best' skyline. It's just obvious that Frankfurt is the best. I accept the argument of La Defense, but London? Sorry, no.

La Defense is great, however it is too artificial, monumental and does not have the feeling of 'real' as in Frankfurt. Not that it's bad, it's certainly No.2 after Frankfurt in my opinion.

So let's try to put some of our blind patriotism aside and see the reality more clearly.

Last edited by Pansori; October 19th, 2009 at 03:19 AM.
Pansori no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #2422
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Dear Blackpool88,

No it doesn't. You will hardly ever see such a view from anywhere in London. London is generally a very low-rise and suburban city with suburban style housing starting just off the Zone 1 (or even within zone 1 in some case). London certainly doesn't have as much of the 'big city' feeling as some other European cities, including the much smaller ones.

Even the best natural spots (such as Parliament Hill, Primrose Hill, Alexandra Palace) wouldn't give such an impression of the skyline as in that 'fake' image. That over-photoshopped HDR image is amazing but it doesn't represent the skyline at all even though it looks impressive due to carefully selected angle where most of the impressive tall landmarks are visible in one shot... a very rare and extremely unusual occurance in London's skyline which can be achieved only by a combination of such circumstances.

The spot that rather well showcases the skyline is the one at Victoria Dock on the pedestrian bridge (i.e. the one you've posted... and also one I did a while ago). However you would probably hardly ever find other spots from where it looks so good.

Frankfurt on the other hand has got a 'real' skyline which is overwhelmingly dominated by tall skyscrapers no matter what angle you look from and how far or close you are. It's a true (and as I've already mentioned perhaps, the ONLY) skyscrapercity in Europe and to me it is unquestionable when it comes to 'the Best' skyline. It's just obvious that Frankfurt is the best. I accept the argument of La Defense, but London? Sorry, no.

La Defense is great, however it is too artificial, monumental and does not have the feeling of 'real' as in Frankfurt. Not that it's bad, it's certainly No.2 after Frankfurt in my opinion.

So let's try to put some of our blind patriotism aside and see the reality more clearly.

No it doesn't what? Show 10K of solid megacity with skyscrapers, cranes, spires and domes? Yes it does...

I've lived in London and am very familiar with the place, you don't need to explain locations and vantage points to me. This is a brilliant snap, there are a number of other brilliant snaps on this thread, domes and spires form part of the skyline, not just skyscrapers, this is what is so charming about many of the London pictures. It lends a Dickensian feel to a modern metropolis and I personally value this very highly.

I can appreciate that in terms of scrapers, Frankfurt is el capitano. Frankfurt, Paris and London are very difficult to seperate but because of the reasons I mention, I say London edges it. Blind patriotism aside, can I stick with my original opinion please?
Blackpool88 está en línea ahora  
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #2423
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
No it doesn't what? Show 10K of solid megacity with skyscrapers, cranes, spires and domes? Yes it does...
Yes, London is a huge magacity (albeit, overwhelmingly dominated by suburban houses, not by skyscrapers... not even by 'typical' 5-6 storey houses as in Paris or even small Frankfurt ). London doesn't have that many skyscrapers and doesn't feel like it either. It is a very low-rise/suburban city and it feels like one. The City and Canary Wharf are great exceptions but they are too small to represent the vast city. And by no means any of those clusters (or even if combined in theory) can be anywhere near Frankfurt or Paris in terms of the skyline.

Quote:
I've lived in London and am very familiar with the place, you don't need to explain locations and vantage points to me. This is a brilliant snap, there are a number of other brilliant snaps on this thread, domes and spires form part of the skyline, not just skyscrapers, this is what is so charming about many of the London pictures. It lends a Dickensian feel to a modern metropolis and I personally value this very highly.
I've taken well over 30,000 photos of London during the last 5 years and there is hardly a spot in Greater London where I did not go to photograph. So yeah, I can confirm that that photo is absolutely unrepresentative of London and I was really surprised to see such an angle. I do admit it looks impressive though.

Quote:
I can appreciate that in terms of scrapers, Frankfurt is el capitano. Frankfurt, Paris and London are very difficult to seperate but because of the reasons I mention, I say London edges it. Blind patriotism aside, can I stick with my original opinion please?
Yes, you can. but it doesn't look like a very good thing to do in such a situation because by doing that you do not improve the credentials of London's skyline but rather marginalize yourself.
Pansori no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #2424
Blackpool88

Quote:

Yes, you can. but it doesn't look like a very good thing to do in such a situation because by doing that you do not improve the credentials of London's skyline but rather marginalize yourself.
Marginalize myself? This is brilliant, I'm typing a personal opinion on a forum made up of complete strangers from all over the globe in a thread which is specifically asking for an opinion and all of a sudden I am "marginalizing" myself. Along with the other 181 people who have voted London, I've really excluded myself with that one!

The fact that you take photo's of London to fill your free time is lovely, but I don't see your point, the thread is asking for photo's of skylines, somebody has posted one of London which is stunning taken from an angle that in 30,000 attempts you've never found. I don't see the relevance of London being reasonably suburban, the photo is taken from central London looking East over a massively dense part of central London and then on to Canary Wharf, it certainly has a megacity feel to it in these areas and in this picture. Don't try and patronise me, you say Frankfurt, I say London.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #2425
Pansori
planquadrat

Fair enough. I guess we both stated our opinions by now.
Pansori no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #2426
Blackpool88

Yeah no hard feelings.

This is an absolutely brilliant snap, the traffic gives it such an urban feeling if hustle and bustle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekak750i View Post
image hosted on flickr

Old October 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2427
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27251

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZAN RESIDENT View Post
London
Every second London picture in this thread is violated to death with Photoshop. I am not against photoshopping (neraly every good picture in this thread is digitally enhanced in any form), but if you don't know, what you do...
Ji-Ja-Jot está en línea ahora  
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #2428
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
blind patriotism
sadly, the achilles heel of this or any similar thread.

however, unalterable.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2429
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

The Hague and Rotterdam in 1 picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #2430
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

What is the distance between the two cities?
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #2431
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57966

Nice one Chris, but didn't you post this photo like 10 times already?

Regarding the London beef: Kudos for your objectivity, Pansori.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #2432
xlchris
Not much

Distance between the 2 city centers = approx. 22km.

@Erbse - Nope, this pic was taken this weekend or so And I might have posted a pic like this once before.
Why do you complain about these pics? But not about the pics of La Defense seen with the Grande Arch in front like above. Seen it 100times here
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #2433
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57966

But you posted similar pics that often at least

The Netherlands really are highly urbanized. Probably only outclassed by microstates like Monaco or Singapur.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #2434
xlchris
Not much

^They're not similar Lots of progress in construction since the other pic

Don't complain! It's an awesome pic
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2435
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
Distance between the 2 city centers = approx. 22km.

@Erbse - Nope, this pic was taken this weekend or so And I might have posted a pic like this once before.
Why do you complain about these pics? But not about the pics of La Defense seen with the Grande Arch in front like above. Seen it 100times here
Wow, know down Eastern Netherlands and move all the people to fill the gap between the two cities and fill it with highrises! This would be a great megacity!
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2436
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
bildijes
ze best pic evar!111

i really dig the the conceptless urban development. great shot.

imho only a pink ferris wheel "the rotterdam eye" and a 150 meter tall stand-up display with a huge neon radiated rotating gouda cheese loaf is missing.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #2437
xlchris
Not much

@Skyline FFM - The Randstad area (urban area westernd part of NL) is almost 1 big city.

More and more people will move from the northernd, eastern and southern part from NL to the western part. To bad, cause it's already to bussy!

If the weather is good you can even see the Amsterdam skyline when you are on the 170m tall Euromast in Rotterdam! Even without a camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaas View Post
The Hague
image hosted on flickr

Part of the Amsterdam skyline
image hosted on flickr

Again
image hosted on flickr

Amsterdam skyline 'Arena Part'
image hosted on flickr

Utrecht skyline
image hosted on flickr

Rotterdam
image hosted on flickr
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #2438
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
@Skyline FFM - The Randstad area (urban area westernd part of NL) is almost 1 big city.

More and more people will move from the northernd, eastern and southern part from NL to the western part. To bad, cause it's already to bussy!

If the weather is good you can even see the Amsterdam skyline when you are on the 170m tall Euromast in Rotterdam! Even without a camera.
I think this is a desireable development! Concentrate all the population in the Randstad area and make the rest a natural reserve. It would be so nice to have some nature right behind our frontier!
But seriously I really think that more concentration is a good thing for smaller countries. The urbanised space is there anyway, so why not making it denser?
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2439
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Wow! Cool!
image hosted on flickr

Here from the 330,000 inh. village of Bielefeld you can also see the Ruhr Area when the weather is fine and clear. It is always hard to believe that one can see that far. This is awesome in such a flat region as Western NL...
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #2440
xlchris
Not much

^Because the Dutch infrastructure isn't good enough. Besided, the most parts that are unbuild are part of the Green Heart. So if they want to built there, they will get lots of people trying to stop it. Still, it's expected that in 2040 there will be 1 million extra inhabitants in this area. My city Hoofddorp is going to built 13.000 extra houses, Amsterdam is going to built 70.000. And more cities are expanding.

And then we also have Schiphol, so Hoofddorp can't expand to the north anymore and Amsterdam can't expand to the south. Schiphol also wants to expand with extra runways, don't know how they want to do that We also have the Rotterdam port, but the port is expanding into the water, so that's no problem.

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw