daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #521
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

This tread has gone to crap, a lot of people including myself just started posting nice pictures that diden't have to do nothing with a skyline picture of the city. Just a bunch of nice shots of highrises (which i enjoyed anyways)

So I'm gona start doing it the best I can. The skyline shot of your city should have your WHOLE city not just the nice cluster or certain area of your convinience because that what is getting graded on, the skyline of the whole city. Now i couldn't find a pic that fit the whole skyline of Madrid but comes very close to capturing the WHOLE city. I'll try to find another photo maybe from a further distance.

flirck
Fabrega no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #522
clouchicloucha

Likes (Received): 8191

La défense, Paris, France

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
clouchicloucha no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #523
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9710

Paris, La défense 1990 (Bastille Day): Jean-Michel Jarre Concert

Attendance 2.500.000 !!! (myself included)

Last edited by parcdesprinces; November 29th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #524
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

@Fabrega - Why? Just keep posting pictures. You don't have to post a picture of the whole city skyline.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #525
RaKLeZ
Outside the frame

I know this thread is about actual skyline but...

New vision of Defilad square in Warsaw presented by the city authorities.
6 skyscrapers around PKiN up to 320m height.
The concept is pretty serious and there is a height chance that will be accepted within next few months...

Check the video...
http://translate.google.pl/translate...ml&sl=pl&tl=en

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #526
Fabrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
@Fabrega - Why? Just keep posting pictures. You don't have to post a picture of the whole city skyline.
Well a lot of people started to discuss and argue. So thats the only fair way to grade a city skyline. This way it compares the size of the city with the amount of highrises. Plus thats what the thread is about not partial skylines or our convinient pictures that make our higrises look great.

Don't get me wrong i like all the pictures but we can't honestly grade skylines from our eu cities from nice close up shots of our financial centers. If not they should take the poll out and call this thread something else.
Fabrega no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #527
xlchris
Not much

Still it's weird. But it's nice to know how many people live in a city. Because you can't tell from looking at the skyline.

Birmingham - 1,010,000

Liverpool - 435,000

London - 7,566,900

Rotterdam - 583,933

Madrid - 3,228,359

Frankfurt - 670,095

Paris - 2,167,994

Warsaw - 1,706,724

As you can see. The population of cities like Frankfurt or Rotterdam isn't that high. But they have quite a nice skyline.
In Frankfurt it's mostly office towers. But in Rotterdam there are mostly residential highrises and some office towers.
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #528
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

I agree with Fabrega. When someone speaks of a city skyline, doesn't refer to that form a specific part of the city. It appears that some just want to teach there for 4 or 5 highrises to demonstrate the spectacular skyline of their city, when the truth is that if we see the rest, we found a very low. As I showed with pano Liverpool I posted earlier, its skyline is hardly a picture of the city (is a pair of somewhat higher buildings in the background). If this thread deals with Skyline, we should check the entire city, not just a small part of it.

According to Emporis, Liverpool only has 50 highrises (buildings over 12 floors) and Birmingham narrowly exceeds the hundreds, while cities such as Valencia (315) and Barcelona (more than 400 highrises), not to mention Madrid (almost 1.200) , referred to as a city skyline with an "undefined". Why? Why not have a small specific area of concentration of highrises, and are more divided? It isn't logical.
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #529
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
Still it's weird. But it's nice to know how many people live in a city. Because you can't tell from looking at the skyline.

Birmingham - 1,010,000

Liverpool - 435,000

London - 7,566,900

Rotterdam - 583,933

Madrid - 3,228,359

Frankfurt - 670,095

Paris - 2,167,994

Warsaw - 1,706,724

As you can see. The population of cities like Frankfurt or Rotterdam isn't that high. But they have quite a nice skyline.
In Frankfurt it's mostly office towers. But in Rotterdam there are mostly residential highrises and some office towers.
If you want to compare, I think you should compare cities with their suburbs, for example in Paris, this is not representative to count the people living inside the peripherique ring road (2,167,994), you should use the number of inhabitants living in the whole city (11,174,740).

About "city skylines", this is a word from North America designating the outline of downtown buildings (often business & financial districts) against the background of the sky. That's it!!!
New York City skyline is not the skyline of the whole city (Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island).

Last edited by parcdesprinces; March 29th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #530
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by usek25 View Post
What do you understand by "skyline" ?? Only tall buildings??
Highrises aren't necessary for a great skyline, and Barcelona proves that.
Exactly. Most people on this forum define the beauty of a skyline only by the number of tall buildings. More highrises automaticaly mean a 'better' skyline. I don't realy like those skylines with an endless sea of highrises, for me the ones with just a few tall buildings are much better. Because these skylines are in a lot of cases more recognizable. That is why i can imagine people vote for a city like Liverpool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
According to your definition of skyline this here is also a skyline:
picture of a lovely village
Do you really honestly believe that's worth calling it skyline.
Yes, this is also a skyline. Whether you like it or not.

Don't hold on to the wikipedia definition, that site is just crap. Anyone can write something on that board.
Ramses no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #531
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
Exactly. Most people on this forum define the beauty of a skyline only by the number of tall buildings. More highrises automaticaly mean a 'better' skyline. I don't realy like those skylines with an endless sea of highrises, for me the ones with just a few tall buildings are much better. Because these skylines are in a lot of cases more recognizable. That is why i can imagine people vote for a city like Liverpool.

Yes, this is also a skyline. Whether you like it or not.

Don't hold on to the wikipedia definition, that site is just crap. Anyone can write something on that board.
OK, so let's talk about city Horizons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #532
xlchris
Not much

@parcdesprinces - I got those population numbers from Wikipedia. So that's why. I know there are more people than Wikipedia says.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #533
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5848

Its stupid to ask for pictures of entire cities with their skylines, cities such as london and Paris would have no skyline as even a massive skyscraper would be barely visable due to their vast expanse. As for number and height of buildings being the only requisit for a good skyline then take this as an example

400 skyscrapers clumped together all at the same height will not be as good 350 houses, 40 mid rise buildings and 10 skyscrapers of varying heights. South American skylines generally prove this!
cardiff no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #534
amidcars
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

According to me...

1. Frankfurt
2. Warsaw
3. Paris
amidcars no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #535
Fabrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Its stupid to ask for pictures of entire cities with their skylines, cities such as london and Paris would have no skyline as even a massive skyscraper would be barely visable due to their vast expanse...

That’s because for the size of those 2 cities they really do have nothing incredible, and neither city have massive scrapers anyways. For example, Warsaw has a lot less population that those 2 cities but still competes in a higher level. It is not fair to put a heavyweight against a lightweight. Population should be a factor when you grade a city skyline if not your cheating yourself.

you don’t need to get further away to capture a whole city with a camera, multiple shots and wide lens will work just fine.

But talking about far away shot and not been able to see. Here one of Madrid, from way to far. I still see the skyline.

by wapo

Last edited by Fabrega; March 30th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Fabrega no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #536
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

This is an example of a good skyline

BENIDORM

Benidorm actually has 15 highrises over 100m, and 12 more u/c. Really is better the skyline of Liverpool or Birmingham?
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #537
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrega View Post
That’s because for the size of those 2 cities they really do have nothing incredible, and neither city have massive scrapers anyways. For example, Warsaw has a lot less population that those 2 cities but still competes in a higher level. It is not fair to put a heavyweight against a lightweight. Population should be a factor when you grade a city skyline if not your cheating yourself.
This is not a thread about: number of Skyscrapers/number of inhabitants.
If we don't want "to cheat" we have to take into consideration that inside the city of Paris, heights of buildings are restricted, skyscrapers are forbiden. This is not fair too because in some other cities this is not restricted and they can build them !!!

I don't think the size of cities is a probleme, in some big cities there isn't a lot skyscrapers, in some smaller ones there is much more, and conversely !!!!!

Some pictures, taken by myself, of Monaco (pop. 32,796) This is the winner according to your arguments !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; March 30th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #538
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 101

some Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillarboxred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post