daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 01:56 AM   #541
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
This is not a thread about: number of Skyscrapers/number of inhabitants.
Is a thread about city skylines and to grade them you should count population as a factor.

Quote:
If we don't want "to cheat" we have to take into consideration that inside the city of Paris, heights of buildings are restricted, skyscrapers are forbiden. This is not fair too because in some other cities this is not restricted and they can build them !!!
Most EU cities have heigth restrictions specially in their hystoric centers. At the same time that law left Paris with a cluster if it wasen't for that law, Paris migth have ended with a less impresive skyline if the skyscrapers have been spread all over the city instead.

Quote:
Some pictures, taken by myself, of Monaco (pop. 32,796) This is the winner according to your arguments!
Not a skyline there is a big mountain rigth behind it, to make a skyline well.. the buildings got to form a line with the sky like the word says. Anyways I alredy posted my winner counting all factors and its benidorm with pop 57,000
Fabrega no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:05 AM   #542
#obert

Likes (Received): 833

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
Old pano of Rotterdam
This picture is amazing
#obert no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM   #543
pegu
Arquitectura / Paisaje

Likes (Received): 117

i'd never thought i was gonna say this, but paris actually has a kick ass skyline....then the frankfurt one is also impressive,,, and the london one is getting good, by the way you shouldn't had included the madrid one, its pity that they have less than 10 tall buildings but yeah they have other stuff that is more beautiful i guess...
pegu no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM   #544
caserass
Normandie

Likes (Received): 5120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrega View Post
Is a thread about city skylines and to grade them you should count population as a factor.

Most EU cities have heigth restrictions specially in their hystoric centers. At the same time that law left Paris with a cluster if it wasen't for that law, Paris migth have ended with a less impresive skyline if the skyscrapers have been spread all over the city instead.

Not a skyline there is a big mountain rigth behind it, to make a skyline well.. the buildings got to form a line with the sky like the word says. Anyways I alredy posted my winner counting all factors and its benidorm with pop 57,000
To be frank with you benidorm looks ugly and is not impressive, all of the buildings are not very tall. To be frank with you benidorm looks like any french city of the parisian suburb
caserass no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:09 PM   #545
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

to be honest the ugliest skyline on the list (poll) is actually rotterdam for me, of course just an opinion.

and benidorm is really not the nicest skyline, only the favelas are missing.

the 3 best skylines so far (according to the recent pics here in this thread) are frankfurt, paris and london.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM   #546
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

I didn't expect another choice of you. And, I don't like your attitude. Just my opinion.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #547
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrega View Post
Why do you need to include population in a skyline? More people doesnt make a skyline any more beautiful or better around the world!
Height isnt what makes a skyline look good, its the designs, their spacing and their quality.
What most annoys me is that according to your definition of a skyline Hong Kong doesnt have one as its in front of mountains! What a silly definition that there has to be sky behind it! lol
cardiff no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #548
craperskys

Quote:
I didn't expect another choice of you. And, I don't like your attitude. Just my opinion.
because of my verdict? yeah you had the right expectations, rotterdam is in my opinion not really a european beauty chris, not in comparison with the rest of the lineup on the list, sorry.

but once again, it's nothing personal, you really have to separate here
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:56 PM   #549
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Birminghams a long way off having a great skyline but this shows its potential and width off it.

image hosted on flickr

In the westside off the city alone at least 3 100m+ towers are planned plus many more 50-100m+

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The city is also bulking up alot of density

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Ecological no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM   #550
Fabrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by caserass View Post
To be frank with you benidorm looks ugly and is not impressive, all of the buildings are not very tall. To be frank with you benidorm looks like any french city of the parisian suburb
To be frank just post some pics to prove your point.
Fabrega no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM   #551
Fabrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Why do you need to include population in a skyline? More people doesnt make a skyline any more beautiful or better around the world!
It's a poll, its silly to grade skylines of cities that have much more population than others in the same level. It's obvious that bigger cities would have nicer ones. More people = more and bigger buildings. I Never said people on their own make a skyline!

Quote:
Height isnt what makes a skyline look good, its the designs, their spacing and their quality.
Agree with that, I never said otherwise. And some of those factors are affected by population. Spacing, bigger cities normally have less space between their buildings. Heigth, bigger cities normally have taller buildings.
If you don't see the point im trying to make is not my fault. It requires some thinking from your part.

Quote:
What most annoys me is that according to your definition of a skyline Hong Kong doesnt have one as its in front of mountains! What a silly definition that there has to be sky behind it! lol
Not my definition, let me break it down for you; sky-line. In other words the outline of a city against the sky. Monaco has a nice waterfront.
Fabrega no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM   #552
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

Quote:
Originally Posted by craperskys View Post
to be honest the ugliest skyline on the list (poll) is actually rotterdam for me, of course just an opinion.

and benidorm is really not the nicest skyline, only the favelas are missing.

the 3 best skylines so far (according to the recent pics here in this thread) are frankfurt, paris and london.
I think you're mother already knows you're on the internet, so now please shut the kcuf up!
This is just my opinion.
SASH no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #553
xlchris
Not much

Quote:
because of my verdict? yeah you had the right expectations, rotterdam is in my opinion not really a european beauty chris, not in comparison with the rest of the lineup on the list, sorry.

but once again, it's nothing personal, you really have to separate here
I hope you understand that I don't think that Rotterdam has the best skyline in the European Union. Not at all.
Indeed, I think Paris and Frankfurt look better. But if you compare the city with Liverpool or Birmingham, then it's way better.
It's just that not a lot of people know Rotterdam, and I try to show you how it looks like and that it is nice.
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM   #554
xlchris
Not much

Some new pictures of Rotterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by defconian View Post

Quote:
[img]http://i40.************/nfsaph.jpg[/img]
(By Eric Offereins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYZIEDOGG View Post

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM   #555
butch83

Likes (Received): 66

Warsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufonut View Post
image hosted on flickr
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM   #556
craperskys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH SCF View Post
please shut the kcuf up!
cute, a personal insult, what a mental ability
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #557
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

Quote:
cute, a personal insult, what a mental ability
I take it personally every time you're dissing R'dam.
And for the rest...you're boring m8!
SASH no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #558
craperskys

Quote:
I hope you understand that I don't think that Rotterdam has the best skyline in the European Union. Not at all.
Indeed, I think Paris and Frankfurt look better. But if you compare the city with Liverpool or Birmingham, then it's way better.
It's just that not a lot of people know Rotterdam, and I try to show you how it looks like and that it is nice.
i think you take this here a tad to serious, at least its all about personal opinions here, and as you know opinions are slightly different, that means that there is no need for justifications, it's all good chris

and by the way; nobody here criticised your personal choice so far, especially not me, wich means that there is no need to question or to put question marks over other choices or opinions.
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #559
craperskys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH SCF View Post
I take it personally every time you're dissing R'dam.
And for the rest...you're boring m8!

uhhh a rotterdam extremist , lord help me brrrrrr.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #560
xlchris
Not much

I accept everybodys opinion. Saying Rotterdam looks better than Birmingham and Liverpool and London but not better then Frankfurt is my opinion

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw