daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #61
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10794

1. Frankfurt
2. Warsaw
3. Paris
4. Rotterdam
5. London

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #62
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

1. Frankfurt - Only from one angle/spot it's the best. Not that dense, but got 2 of the best scrapers. Messeturm the best!
2. Paris - More density than F'furt, perhaps my # 1
3. Rotterdam - Seen from the Brienenoord Bridge perhaps the best (in a few years?). More density than F'furt.
4. London - Best of the rest. Canary Warf looks good
5. Benidorm The buildings are not that nice, but seen from some angles/spots it looks stunning.

Can't believe some people prefer Madrid above some of the ones I mentioned in my list. It has 4 buildings of almost same hight. That doesn't make a skyline?

Last edited by SASH; November 11th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
SASH no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #63
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 101

No Liverpool

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

by adman;-

thanks to Yoshef for posting them in another forum
1878EFC está en línea ahora  
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #64
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

1)Frankfurt am main
2)London
3)Paris
4)Rotterdam/Birmingham
5)Liverpool
6)Warsaw
7)Manchester(uk)

In 2012:

1)London
2)Frankfurt
3)Paris
4)Warsaw
5)Manchester
5)Birmingham/Rotterdam
5)Liverpool
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #65
Arans
chris

Likes (Received): 0

1.Frankfurt
2.Paris
3.Warsaw
4.London
5.Madryd
6.Benidorm
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #66
wronny

Likes (Received): 85

The best Skyline in Europe?

San Gimignano!!

wronny no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #67
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

You may joke, but I'm prefering that "skyline" to some of the others in this thread
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #68
butch83

Likes (Received): 66

agreed
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #69
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3227

Very cool!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #70
Du'Myth
Alive

Likes (Received): 1817

Frankfurt's skyline simply... rocks! Very organized and shiny, tipically german. No.2: La Defense, for the dense cluster. The third place goes to Warsaw, one of the coolest skylines in Europe
But i have to mention that Liverpool and Birmingham's skyline are also pretty neat.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #71
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

They are a bit old, I think a few months to be exact. But they are very very nice! Thanks Huib! (About 3 or 4 skyscrapers who are finished now aren't in here)

Scroll > > > > >

Scroll > > > > >

Another pano from my "My Pictures" map;

And let's not forget this small version with a rough impression of the future skyline;
[IMG]http://i35.************/2mqubv8.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by xlchris; November 18th, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
xlchris no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #72
Boogie
keep jaywalking

Likes (Received): 252

I prefer lower league of European skylines more than main league.

For examples:
Vienna, Austria (photo from Wikipedia):

The Hague, Netherlands (photo from Wikipedia):

Poznań, Poland (photo made by user Carte):
scroll --->
Boogie no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #73
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

Warsaw

Iluminat no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #74
HawreHayman

thamks great work
HawreHayman no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #75
Purdy Bear

London for me, but then I live very close to there, so probably, just a little or maybe a lot biased. LOL

We need to show more of London, not just Canary Warf and the Gherkin.
Purdy Bear no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM   #76
xlchris
Not much

Rotterdam by night;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh?! View Post
[IMG]http://i34.************/2mqvvp3.gif[/IMG]
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM   #77
krzysiu_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

1.Paris
2.London
3.Frankfurt
4.Rotterdam/Amsterdam
5.Warsaw in 2012/13
krzysiu_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM   #78
butch83

Likes (Received): 66

Krzysiu chill, London above Frankfurt and Warsaw waaay back? I can understand You may not be orthodox local patriot, but being exactly the opposite isnt good as well.

I feel sorry for Warsaw, though its a city that went trough a looot of pain, that is why i support it a bit more than the others, but still try to provide more or less objective judgement(quantity, height, quality, composition) The other thing is many ppl here dont even take it into account(being biased that "eastern" europe isnt even worth taking a glimpse at its pics, and even if it is it might have been some lucky one-in-a-million shot, that looks good).
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM   #79
xlchris
Not much

^If you are talking about pain for a city, you should take a look at Rotterdam Rotterdam has lost his whole historic city center by accident. They cancelled the bombing, the Dutch and Germans had an agreement, but the planes where already on their way and bombed Rotterdam.....

@ krzysiu - Rotterdam/Amsterdam? I can't understand how you can say they are the same....
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM   #80
OMH

Likes (Received): 14

My ranking :

1.-Frankfurt: It has the highest (Commerzbank Tower, 259m) , and also the most skyscrapers over 200m in the EU (4, in the future there might be 7) .
What makes the Frankfurt skyline the best in the EU, and one of the best in the world, IMO, is the high quality of the architecture of the highrises in Frankfurt-Messeturm, Commerzbank, and Westend Tower (Main Tower also is a beautiful skyscraper IMO, though not quite as nice as the one mentioned before IMO) belong to the most beautiful skyscrapers worldwide. Here's a pic of Frankfurt that i took from the airplane in June this year:
image hosted on flickr

(link:http://www.flickr.com/photos/2301339...91572/sizes/o/)

On the pic you see very well, that despite not being the densest of skylines, the architectural quality of the highrises is very high, and that's what makes it so great.

2.-Paris (La Defense): In a few years-if all the proposed skyscrapers like Tour Generali , Tour Phare and Tour Signal get built, it'll be a contender for no. 1, and as well might take Frankfurt's place, because it is denser, and Tour Generali & Phare have very interesting designs (though I'm not sure if you can call them "beautiful") , but until now, despite being denser than Frankfurt it's only no. 2 because it lacks height & too many of the towers are 70's boxes.

3.-London : not a bad skyline, but London has two main clusters (City and Canary wharf), and none of them stands out alone (though i like CW more), but if they would be combined , then London could be a real contender for the first spot, but until now it doesn't even come close IMO.
In ca. 5 years,though, when LBT and The Pinnacle are completed, The City will have a better skyline than CW, and possibly as good as Frankfurt or Paris.

4.-Warsaw: Not a bad skyline for European standards, in a few years when Zlota 44, and possibly some of the proposed skyscrapers over 200m, like Lillium and Kulczyk tower are built, Warsaw could become no. 2 or even 1, but first more and higher skyscrapers have to be built, though the architectural quality is very high IMO,almost as good as in Frankfurt, and the Culture Palast looks very impressive.

5.-Rotterdam/Vienna (tie) : Both cities have decent sized-skylines.
Rotterdam has many residential highrises-more than any other city in the EU- , though the designs of them look very similar, but the density is quite high for a european city.

Vienna, like London has tow clusters-Donaucity northeast of the center, and Wienerberg in the south- both of which have quite a lot towers over 100m (though Donaucity has more highrises and definitely looks more impressive).
The architectural quality is higher in Vienna then in Rotterdam IMO, though actually the designs of many of the residential highrises look quite similar.
When the DC towers will get built-230 and 168m high (should be around 20120, Vienna will take the 4th spot easily.
Pics of Vienna clusters : Donaucity- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Donaucity.jpg
- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eel_Vienna.jpg
and Wienerberg- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...gcity-pond.jpg
- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...berg_abend.jpg

There're also many other skylines in Europe, which in the future may become part of the top 5: They're IMO:

-Madrid: If more highrises (between 100-200m( would get built around the CTBA, Madrid's skyline would become a contender for 4th or even 3rd spot, but 4 towers over 200m, with not many other skyscrapers around (just a 2nd cluster in the south of the CTBA afaik) , isn't good enough for the top 5.

-Milan : When all the planned skyscrapers, like Il Dritto and the other ones in Zona Fiera are built, Milan's skyline certainly will look great, though I'm not sure if it'll be enough for a place in the top 5.

-Benidorm: definitely the densest skyline in Europe, and probably the largest skyline for a city below 100000 people worldwide , it looks very impressive when viewed from far, but the architectural quality is lacking, but if Benidorm improves on that, and builds some more higher tower (over 200m) , then it could become a great skyline.
OMH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw